Clerk didn't charge me for an item. What would you do?

Honestly, if it was under $10 or $15, I wouldn't bother taking time to go back. My time is more valuable than that. I've never had it happen before, but I've sure been overcharged or double charged many, many, many times and have had to eat the extra charge because I didn't have time to return.

I wonder if the same manager is still at the store after 13 years.

This is why I feel threads should automatically be locked after a certain time. Want to reference an old thread? Link to it.
can I use the excuse that I was sleepy? This time of year there's too much stuff to do and not enough time in the day.

A different situation yesterday and I'm not sure if I should have said anything or not. The people in the checkout ahead of me at Acme supermarket bought a prime rib beef roast as well as over $200 in other items. There was a circular coupon that reduced the price from about $8.99 per pound to $4.77 lb. For some reason the coupon didn't scan, and the cashier called over a supervisor. The supervisor figured out the difference in price with a calculator and manually applied the discount. Then I noticed when the cashier hit the "total" button, the register applied the discount too. So they paid something like $10 for what should have been a $35 roast after discount. There were two roughly $25 discounts applied.

Acme_13122018-280x120.jpg

I didn't say anything and I don't think the customers noticed because their overall total was still over $200. I "think" if it happened to me I would have pointed it out to the cashier. I'd feel guilty about THAT much of a discrepancy in my favor.

I discovered that those store-issued paper coupons at Acme and digital coupons from the app aren't applied until the very very end of the transaction. Manufacturer's coupons are applied when scanned. A similar thing happened to me a while back and I questioned the cashier. She said the discount will be applied later and it was.

I'm surprised the store supervisor didn't know this. There were likely lots of shoppers using that coupon.

I am just surprised at the number of people reviewing their receipts. Maybe it’s because I very seldom pay with anything but cash, but unless I know I will need a receipt for a warranty item, it just gets thrown away when I get home. If I realize a store made an error either way at the time of sale, I would get it fixed, but I probably wouldn’t come across it after the fact.

I use a credit card for everything, I never have cash, but I still don’t check receipts. I check my cc app for a rough correct amount but never really check to see if items scan correctly. I think I would only notice if something were supposed to be really cheap or really expensive and weren’t. I imagine I’ve underpaid or overpaid quite a few times.

If I happened to notice before I left the store, I’d return to the counter and say something. If I was already in my car-maybe. Honestly, it’s a convenience vs error issue. If the hassle outweighs the amount then I’m not jumping through hoops. To be fair, if I got in my car and noticed I’d been overcharged by $6, I’m not going back in either if I’m in a hurry or the store is busy or it would take more than a couple minutes.

Honestly, if it was under $10 or $15, I wouldn't bother taking time to go back. My time is more valuable than that. I've never had it happen before, but I've sure been overcharged or double charged many, many, many times and have had to eat the extra charge because I didn't have time to return.
Same here about my time. And, I don’t feel guilty b/c I view it as their error.

So you needed to resurrect a 13 year old thread for your suggestions?

Ugh! I can’t tell you how many times I have read through a whole thread only to find it is a zombie thread at the very end!
How do people dredge these up anyway?

Well, 13 years is a lot of time.
I got news for you. People did not dig in the garden and dredge these threads up.

Have you ever heard someone say his/her non-expiring tickets cried out from the top dresser drawer, "Use me! Use me!"? Maybe not a cry from a 13 year old annual pass but this thread found a way to cry out, "Read me! Reply to me!".

(interpreting a previous poster) If there is an overcharge, the customer should get made whole and then some - "a little extra" - which comes out of the merchant's pocket.
If the customer is undercharged, oh well. That money comes out of the merchant's pocket as well.
The quoted poster is being disingenuous, to put it nicely.
I beg to differ. The customer just needs to be made whole. Now there is still room for disagreement. I contend that being made whole includes being paid for the time and materials consumed to achieve the being made whole.

I am fully in favor of fixing the problem on the next trip.

... My aunt had absentmindedly picked up a bottle of perfume at the drugstore, walked around with it, and didn't realize she was still carrying it until we got back to the car, which was parked a long way from the store. She gasped and immediately hurried back to the store to return it ...
This was a customer error, not a store error, so the customer should make the store whole.

Last edited:

I beg to differ. The customer just needs to be made whole. Now there is still room for disagreement. I contend that being made whole includes being paid for the time and materials consumed to achieve the being made whole.

I am fully in favor of fixing the problem on the next trip.
But who knows when that next trip will be? Sure, the receipt will show that you paid $x for an item, but what proof will have if you return later that you overpaid? IMO, the time to bring up an overcharge is at the register. If you don't notice until after you're in your car, shame on you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!