College Program Questions Thread, Pt 4

In what year of high school should you apply? Should my child apply each year?
Note that this is NOT a college, it is a program Disney has for current college students and recent college graduates (within 2 yrs). Generally you would apply 4-6 months before you want to start (when applications are open). You sign up for a 4-7 month time period, based on the dates available for arrival/departure. You may be able to extend the program up to a year, but can't stay beyond that. Once accepted into it, there are program fees to pay.

You are assigned a job at Disney World paying $16/hr, and you won't know your role until a month before. My DD ended up in food and beverage, she was hoping for photopass as that aligns with her degree. The majority of people end up in food and beverage, merchandise, custodial. There are also roles in attractions, parking, house person, lifeguard, photopass , and children's activities.

There is an optional learning component to it where they can sign up for classes in career readiness, leadership, hospitality, guest speakers, and general Disney knowledge--bur none of that gives you college credits.

It amazes me how much the program has changed. I am a CP Alumni (Fall '01). It was SO tough to get into at the time. I was lucky enough to land a job at attractions in Fantasyland. However, I was there for 9/11 and things for us changed drastically. Our hours were cut almost in half, making it barely affordable to pay our rent. Would I do it again? Absolutely. It wasn't just the job I had, but the people that made the experience unforgettable. For reference, I was only 18, turned 19 while I was there and this was my first time away from home ( I am from MA, so 1300 miles away). I saw it as my "semester abroad", as the college I went to was a mere 20 minutes from my house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter