College program questions

Kenshi

Earning My Ears
1) Do bellhops and vallets get a set pay + tips? And what is the pay?
2) For the interview and working there is it ok to have dreads?

Not sure about cp bellhops/valets.
I do know that cp participants working as hostesses are not allowed tips.
cp starts at 6.75/hour

If you look on the disney college program web site i believe they show you what hair styles are accepted. They are pretty stricted about sideburns and length of hair so i do not think dreads would be considered an acceptable "disney look"

They may be okay for your interview as long as you stated you were willing to cut them if accepted into the program

I read the disney look all it said was braids are permitted it said nothing about dreads.

CP's are not in tipped positions.

I do not beleive dreads are allowed, although I do beleive that neat, and tight cornrows are allowed now.

CP's are not allowed to take tips. My husband worked at the Caribian Beach Resort as a CP and had a number of duties including being a bellhop. However, if he was given a tip, he had to give it to the real bellhops - that's how they make their money. Sometimes they would split it with him. I was a CP in 2001 and I made $5.50/hr. I am sure it's still minum wage. But you are not there to make money anyways.

As for dreads, I am not sure. It may depend where you are working. You are a cast member of disney world, and have to fit the part you were cast. I worked on Main Steet - which is set in the late 1800's. Dreads would not be appropriate there. For the most part you have to be very clean cut. You can only have one earring in each ear, and one ring on each hand, ect.

The program has changed a lot since 2001. Things aren't really like that anymore.

Dreds probably won't be accepted; they made many Haitian women in housekeeping cut out their dreds. "Tasteful" brades are allowed--which basically means don't show up with huge dreds.

Current CPs make $6.25 an hour. Unless the pay rate to $6.75 is part of the new semester changes, it is $6.25. Some CPs are tipped. CPs I don't think are allowed to be valets, at least not on the program right now. Many valets have been contracted in. Bell hops/luggage carriers ARE allowed to accept tips. They do not have to report them to management, and there is no way they can force them to give their tips to another cast member that didn't do the work.

Housekeeping CPs are also allowed to accept tips. They don't really like the luggage carriers to accept tips, and they ask that you refuse 3 times before accepting. Housekeeping CPs are the only CPs on property that are allowed to accept tips with no questions asked...and that's really cool. Sometimes we come home with an extra $50-100 bucks. Sometimes we get just a couple dollars. Either way, tipping is possible.

I have a different question....For the presentations, do I have to contact the person that's name is listed by my school or don't I??? Thanks

There should be a college rep at your school - you don't have to contact them, but they have a LOT of info. You can just show up to the presentation if you wish though.

The contact number on the website is most often a faculty contact in Career and/or Student Employment Services. You don't have to get in touch with them if you don't want to. However, they are a good resource to get you in touch with the Campus Reps, who are Alumni of the College Program who have returned to your campus.

I am now ready to apply so one more question...

Do I need work experience? I only have volunteer experience and its not recent.

I'm sure you can get it without it. I'm sure the interviewer will bring it up, so just tell the interviewer what experience you do have. You'll get plenty of training there, so it's not really vital to have work experience, just a good attitude and a friendly personality.

grrrr im trying to fill out the application online and where it says "employed from" and "employed to" I keep getting some message saying re-enter using a 4 digit year and gives me an example so I type in the example I get the same message!

would it be ok for me to the dates blank?

I seem to remember other people having this problem. Try a different browser. I think I did mine with Internet Explorer and it worked fine. So if you're using firefox or netscape, try IE.

Kenshi said:
grrrr im trying to fill out the application online and where it says "employed from" and "employed to" I keep getting some message saying re-enter using a 4 digit year and gives me an example so I type in the example I get the same message!

would it be ok for me to the dates blank?

Oh! I had this happen too----see the little button next to the date boxes that says 'enter date' or something like that? You have to hit that little stinker before you enter a date. Not sure why- but give that method a try...(coming from the girl who spent a good while being really confused on how to get a date in there.)

one more thing

Im doing an e-presentation and phone interview. Do they need to recieve my application before I do the interview? And do I need to mail the checklist too?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter