• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

College Students:Bringing Texbooks To Classes

Lynn CC

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISe
Do you bring your books to classes or just notebooks to take notes?
Just wondering how big of a backpack to buy. I'm sure it's different than High School.

I think a lot depends on your profs. I know in some of my classes, the prof wants you to have the book and a notebook at every single class. Then there are other profs that don't care if you even buy the book. So, a lot depends on the approach your profs take. I would try and hold out on buying a backpack until you know exactly what each class is going to be like.

I agree, it really depends on the class. A lot of times though we won't have to bring the book to class, but when we do need it the professors will tell us a couple days ahead of time.

i find a notepad is all i need for mine (i'm studying history) but one of my mates is studying tourism and needs books in most classes so the subject u r taking will have as much of an impact as you lecturer/ professor.

almost never, unless a professor is really adament about it. Everything stays home (i commute). I just take notes. I bring a large shoulder bag (a Disney one, actually!) to carry my notebook and anything extra but thats about it.

We are required to have books in all of our classes.
Some of my bio classes the professor will tell us to leave them at home except for certain days but for all of my other classes (I am a history major, biology and english lit minor) I am required to have them in class with me and use them to support my discussion.
Some professors will count lack of books against your participation grade.

I think you learn early on which professors want you to bring the book, and which ones probably don't care if you bring it. I always bring my binder with all of my notes in it though. And they will usually tell you if you need to have your book for the next class.

Whatever you choose, just remember you won't have all of your classes in one day, so unlike high school, you won't need materials for all 5 or so courses in one sitting! Yay! Youl'll probably have time to go back to your dorm, too. Good luck!

I used the same backpack I had for high school at college. It worked for me. It also depends on your class load and such but I pretty much had to bring my books each day (but only the ones we were currently using). It wasn't that bad... but some worse than others. Just try your best to stay organized is all I can say! ;)

Here at Northern, the profs will tell you whether or not to bring your books. I also can tell if I am going to need them by the syllabus. Most profs here don't really fester over whether or not you brought your book to class. They are more worried about if you brought your laptop to class. I have had some profs who had forbidden the laptop in class (NMU has a laptop program, everyone who goes here gets one).

I'm a science major and almost never brought my books to class. In fact some of my profs didn't even use books. It really does depend on the class and the prof.

I use the same backpack that I used in high school. Its a North Face.

I'm an english lit student, so it'd be hard to get by without the text! If you're a literature student then I assume you'd be taking the text anyway!

But last year I did Psychology, and we had a big ol textbook that we very rarely had to take to class with us, and were told in advance if we were.

Also, don't go out and buy all the books until you're sure you need them all. I know lots of people bought every book on the list and found that some were used once or twice only as a reference, and could easily be used in the library.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter