Colorado...where to go?

Jump off of I-70 at US 40 and go over Berthoud Pass to Winter Park. They have a great Alpine slide running during the summer, also downhill biking, or just ride the lift up to the top and look around, then hike or ride the lift back down. It's also close to the back entrance to RMNP, which is MUCH less crowded than the front entrance in Estes Park.

You can drive to within 20 yards or so of the summit of Mt. Evans, amazing view and right off I-70, and you can eat at Beau Jo's pizza in Idaho Springs. In Denver, definitely hit the zoo and Natural History museum, they are right next to each other so you can see them both together. The 16th Street mall is interesting, but not really anything too amazing although the Denver Mint is right there. Absolutely stop at Red Rocks if you want to, just for the sake of the musical history that has happened there.

Further west there are several hot springs you can go to, including Glenwood Springs. Stop to tour around Vail, very chichi town. Just the drive through the mountains on I-70 is pretty.

Jump off of I-70 at US 40 and go over Berthoud Pass to Winter Park. They have a great Alpine slide running during the summer, also downhill biking, or just ride the lift up to the top and look around, then hike or ride the lift back down. It's also close to the back entrance to RMNP, which is MUCH less crowded than the front entrance in Estes Park.

You can drive to within 20 yards or so of the summit of Mt. Evans, amazing view and right off I-70, and you can eat at Beau Jo's pizza in Idaho Springs. In Denver, definitely hit the zoo and Natural History museum, they are right next to each other so you can see them both together. The 16th Street mall is interesting, but not really anything too amazing although the Denver Mint is right there. Absolutely stop at Red Rocks if you want to, just for the sake of the musical history that has happened there.

Further west there are several hot springs you can go to, including Glenwood Springs. Stop to tour around Vail, very chichi town. Just the drive through the mountains on I-70 is pretty.
40 to 34 was what we took to Grand Lake. Going up and over the pass is VERY curvy! :scared:

Berthoud Pass, oh how I miss that tiny ski area with waist-deep powder! I worked there in high school and college and then they closed it. Don't miss the horrible restrooms though!

I was just coming to mention Beau Jo's Pizza in Idaho Springs. You can get Beau Jo's in a few Denver area locations, but they are not as good as the original in Idaho Springs.

Mesa Verde, Gunnison, Colorado national monument. RMNP is great but can be extremely crowded due to proximity to Denver. I would skip in favor of less crowded areas.

My husband went to college in Gunnison- it's so nice out there! I'd drive south west from Denver, go over the continental divide at Monarch Pass, and into Gunnison. You can check out Crested Butte if you want to see an artsy/ski town, then drive through the San Juans through Silverton and Durango, and out to Mesa Verde. Mesa Verde is spectacular, totally a must-do. You could go north through Telluride to Grand Junction, or wander west/southwest through Four Corners and some totally spectacular scenery to get to Bryce. I guess it's really a question of how much time you have, and in what season you'll be driving!

Berthoud Pass! I remember it well. :scared:

I loved Garden of the Gods and the drive to Vail. We walked a bit in Denver and I remember how easy it was to get out of breath.

The Cog Railway isn't opening this year, or at least this spring. The Broadmoor (which owns it) says it needs extensive repairs and they don't know if they want to pay for it. :mad:

Wow, are they thinking of just shutting it down?

IMG_0709.jpg IMG_0711.jpg IMG_0710.jpg Colorado has so many amazing places to see. My number 1 recommendation is Mt. Evans. You feel on top of the world. It's 14,000 feet, same approx elevation to Pikes Peak. I was told Mt Evans was better and went there on a few trips. It is amazing. Then one year we decided to try Pikes Peak, it does not even compare!! Mt Evans is far superior. Absolutely beautiful and mountain goats running around. It's very easy access from Hwy 70.

Berthoud Pass, oh how I miss that tiny ski area with waist-deep powder! I worked there in high school and college and then they closed it. Don't miss the horrible restrooms though!

I was just coming to mention Beau Jo's Pizza in Idaho Springs. You can get Beau Jo's in a few Denver area locations, but they are not as good as the original in Idaho Springs.

Well, they still have restrooms up there, but I don't ever stop unless I REALLY have to go. That cold breeze coming in is just :sick:. Winter Park is our "home" ski area so we head over the pass pretty often. I love turning off onto 40 and not having to stay in tunnel traffic!

Most people are confused the first time they go to Beau Jo's and they give you a container of honey on your table and tell you it's for the crust!

Colorado Springs...The Broadmoor! If you don't stay there, go to Sunday brunch.

We stayed there a week and did:

White water rafting on the Arkansas River (our favorite!)
Pike's Peak - cog railway
Hidee Gold Mine (so much fun)
horseback riding in the mountains
Red Rocks (Denver) (had to visit here because of the U2 concert in the 80s)
Dinosaur Ridge (Denver)

nm - already mentioned :)

Any kind of hiking is worth it. There are all kinds of wonderful trails for all skill levels all over the state.

If you enjoy tours, there is Coors Brewery in Golden, Celestial Seasonings tea in Boulder, and National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in Boulder is pretty interesting if you are in to science.

Mt Evans is the highest paved road in the US and I highly recommend it! Land lubbers must take photos quickly on the summit and then begin their descent. You can get really loopy at the top of a mountain if you are only visiting and are used to sea level!

Mt Evans is the highest paved road in the US and I highly recommend it! Land lubbers must take photos quickly on the summit and then begin their descent. You can get really loopy at the top of a mountain if you are only visiting and are used to sea level!
I really want to do this sometime!

the Colorado Rocky Mountain high, I've seen it raining fire in the sky
I know he'd be a poor man if he never saw an eagle fly
Rocky Mountain high, the Colorado Rocky Mountain high, I've seen it raining fire in the sky
Friends around the campfire and everybody's high
Rocky Mountain high, Colorado. Rocky Mountain high

the Colorado Rocky Mountain high, I've seen it raining fire in the sky
I know he'd be a poor man if he never saw an eagle fly
Rocky Mountain high, the Colorado Rocky Mountain high, I've seen it raining fire in the sky
Friends around the campfire and everybody's high
Don't laugh. I stopped and bought a John Denver CD on our last trip through the Rockies. :)

40 to 34 was what we took to Grand Lake. Going up and over the pass is VERY curvy! :scared:

i spent my childhood summers camping up between Granby and Grand Lake. Fishing at the old pumphouse, watching the little groundhogs (marmots maybe?) playing in the rocks.

That restaurant with the wagon wheel outside it in Granby was always a stop for us. My grandpa had property up there, and when I was pre-teen, I'd spend the summers there. There was a little corner type store right up the "road" that he let me walk to every day for a candy bar and a soda.

The wagon wheel restaurant is still there. We had an awesome breakfast there about a year ago!

And yes, as low-key pointed out, please feel free to enjoy our entirely legal weed industry! Many, many visitors do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter