Colorado...where to go?

Mt Evans is the highest paved road in the US and I highly recommend it! Land lubbers must take photos quickly on the summit and then begin their descent. You can get really loopy at the top of a mountain if you are only visiting and are used to sea level!

Just don't ride your bike up Mt. Evans. Trust me on this. Really.

Mt. Evans was very cool, but remember to head there early in the day. We tried going up in the afternoon last summer and we only made it to Summit Lake before turning around to head back down. Even making it that far was really nervewracking, as there was hail, lightning and almost no visibility from about 10,000 on. It gets pretty nasty up there later in the day.

Yes, definetly do Mt Evans early in the day. The pics I posted were from the one time we got there early and it was far more beautiful with the blue sky. We've gone several times and have never had to turn back because of weather, but in the afternoon you will have grey skies. It's still worth it and still beautiful but after finally getting there before noon once I can say it's far more spectacular with the blue sky.

You have had some great advice. All I would add is to make sure that you know the symptoms of altitude sickness, esp. if you do go up into the mountains. Denver is 1 mile (5280 ft) above sea level and the mountains obviously are much higher. When I lived there, we had a visitor become quite unwell as he had never been much above sea level before. It’s unlikely, but something to be aware of if you are not used to the altitude.

I think everything I would mention was already mentioned. We went this past summer and I would recommend going to Red Rocks, Estes park, and Ft. Collins.

You have had some great advice. All I would add is to make sure that you know the symptoms of altitude sickness, esp. if you do go up into the mountains. Denver is 1 mile (5280 ft) above sea level and the mountains obviously are much higher. When I lived there, we had a visitor become quite unwell as he had never been much above sea level before. It’s unlikely, but something to be aware of if you are not used to the altitude.
I always get altitude sickness in Colorado and I usually am stuck laying low for at least the first day. :(

We love Colorado. Have family out there so we try to visit, but we don't get there enough. We really want to get down to the SW part of the state (Durango, Telluride) but haven't made it there yet and probably won't next trip either. Our favorites are Estes Park/Trail Ridge Road and the Colorado National Monument. Mt Evans is a must do next trip. Have done Pikes Peak both cog and drive and we felt the drive was much better.

I always get altitude sickness in Colorado and I usually am stuck laying low for at least the first day. :(

I have an older friend who came out to ski with us who thought he had altitude sickness because he wasn't feeling well, and I advised him to drink a couple of glasses of water pretty quickly, 10 minutes later he was fine. A lot of people confuse dehydration for altitude sickness. If you have a headache and feel very fatigued, you're probably dehydrated, if you throw up, altitude sick, get to a lower elevation.

I have an older friend who came out to ski with us who thought he had altitude sickness because he wasn't feeling well, and I advised him to drink a couple of glasses of water pretty quickly, 10 minutes later he was fine. A lot of people confuse dehydration for altitude sickness. If you have a headache and feel very fatigued, you're probably dehydrated, if you throw up, altitude sick, get to a lower elevation.
It wasn't dehydration. Since I was staying in Grand Lake, there was no getting to a lower elevation. :rotfl:

We've only been to Mesa Verde in Colorado but it was incredible. If it fits in your route you should check it out.

Mesa Verde, Gunnison, Colorado national monument. RMNP is great but can be extremely crowded due to proximity to Denver. I would skip in favor of less crowded areas.

Have to concur with Mesa Verde. Just did that last summer and it was so damn amazing. Had a great time there although the nearby hotels are much to brag about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter