Columbus, OH and America West

Obsessed w/Disney in OH

With hope, the imagination soars.
For those of you who were flying America West from Columbus to Orlando on a non-stop.

When they eliminated that flight--what did they offer you instead??

I was not at all happy with my conversation with "quality assurance department" and we've made no decision yet. They offered me a flight that left at 6:30 in the morning and connected in TX!!(We didn't take it!) What I had before they eliminated that flight, left CMH at 8 in the morning and we were at MCO around 10-ish--I loved that schedule!!!! Now, I am not happy!!!

HELP! Thanks, Lisa:confused:

We, too, enjoyed that 8:30 am flight. I really liked flying America West. I may be wrong, but I think they have to give you a refund if they can't get you on a comparable flight.

If you are able to get a refund, Delta has added several non-stops to their schedule in response to AmWest pulling out.
I have been checking flights for July/Aug and the day after I read the America West announcement, Delta had added the new flights.

Southwest is your only other option for nonstop flights, but the return flight for SWA is at something like 8 am--ugggh!

I would really press for a refund if they can't accomodate you on a better route than going to Texas first!

I wish you good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, we got a great rate on our flight, so I really hate to get a refund.

I looked at the Delta flights, and so far they are really, really small planes. We did that once and it was awful. The kids were petrified and our youngest was sick the entire time. So, that's not an option. If we don't find another flight that we can book ourselves for the same money, we may go ahead and fly out of Cincinnati--further for us to drive; but in the long run, less time all total and less worry about making the connections. That is, if they will allow that in exchange for our flight out of Columbus.

Yes, I was on a flight from Columbus on America West. I did not feel that they handled it at all. I talked to them and they told me that they would help get me on another flight and to give them some time. This was right after it was announced. I did alot of research on other flights. There is only 1 non stop from Cols to Orlando. So I wanted on it. When I called to tell them this is what I wanted to do, they said they could not help me with this. I was not happy. My only option was to cancel for a full refund and reschedule with Delta on a 6:50am flight. I did this only to be informed the next day, that the flight had changed to 9:50. Well it is ok, but we are meeting family at the airport from Cleveland to travel together to the port. If they change again, it will mess everything up.

We happened to be out to eat the night they announced that they were closing this hub. My bil said that he had booked a flight that morning with America West and they said nothing!!!

I'm angry because we booked this flight in Aug so that we could get the flight we wanted and it was cheaper. What would have happened had the flight been booked already? Most of the flights do not get in until late in the afternoon, this wastes alot of time for our group. One option was to fly to Cleveland then onto Orlando. I would have loved to see my sister's face when we ended up on their flight!!

unfourtunately, flight out of Cincinnati are overpriced. We use to use Delta Express and America West from Columbus. Am aware of the smaller planes they now offer. How Far would Indianapolis for you? ATA has brand new full size 737 and 757. We are tryong this in two weeks. will let you know how it goes. Direct flight for 235/person sound great to me!!

I did some comparisons and you're right about Cincinnati.

Indy is almost 3 hours for us--not impossible, but farther than we like to go. Thanks for the idea.

At this point, we are waiting to see if Delta will add any flights since America West pulled out. If not, we are possibly waiting for Southwest's schedule or see if something else comes up at a reasonable rate. Since we haven't yet made a decision, we can ultimately still trade in our tickets with America West for a Delta flight with connections. It's a bummer that we have so few choices--it makes me crazy to look at a flight time of 6+hours when the non-stop could be 2 hours. :mad: :(

I like the Delta express flight out of Columbus. I flew on the new small planes in Dec. and I was concerned about their size but it was the smoothest flight I have ever had. I don't know how my kids would have been on it though. Hopefully Delta will add more flights as this is a very popular route. According to the stewardess I talked to the flight is usually full.

Another option would be either Dayton or Akron. I'm not sure which airlines fly from there but I do know there are DISers who regularly fly from those two airports. Good luck getting this resolved.

WHAT ABOUT FLYING OUT OF DAYTON?
WE ARE FLYING FROM DAYTON TO ATLANTA & THEN TO ORLANDO.
3 HOUR FLIGHT TIME..

LISALISA36--

What kind of price did you get for tickets? We liked our flight out of Dayton last year. The bad thing was the times all got changed and we ended up with a 3-4 hour layover in Chicago. That's why I like to fly non-stop. I guess we'll see. Thanks for the suggestion. Lisa

we paid 201.00 months ago.....

your welcome!
hope things work out for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter