Comparing resorts... Are Mods really worth $100 more a night?

CharissaOKC

Mouseketeer
We are starting to plan our second trip to WDW, traveling Jan 2018. Our first trip we stayed 1 night at Pop and the rest at WL. Loved it! Looking at prices this time and POR and FQ are about $100 more a night than POP.

In your opinion is it worth it to make a jump to one of these Mods? What do they have that Pop doesn't? Thanks!

I think it depends on what you want out of your trip. The Values are over-the-top Disney. Sometimes, I like a more relaxed environment, and I think you get that from the Moderates. The Mods also have some amenities like more themed pools, table service restaurants, and larger rooms. At one point, they had bigger beds, but I think the Values have mostly gone to queens now.

I think it depends on what you want out of your trip. The Values are over-the-top Disney. Sometimes, I like a more relaxed environment, and I think you get that from the Moderates. The Mods also have some amenities like more themed pools, table service restaurants, and larger rooms. At one point, they had bigger beds, but I think the Values have mostly gone to queens now.

Yes! I probably should have given more details! I was trying to keep it short! It's myself, DH, and son (3). I was pleasantly surprised by POP but we only stayed for 1 night. We like to take midday breaks from the parks and do plan on spending some time at the resort. But with a 3 year old it doesn't take much to entertain him

We are looking at 7 or 8 nights total. Open to a split stay but it looks like we are going to be priced out of the deluxes this time!

We stayed at Pop for 4 nights in May and fell in love (we had stayed before but just for one night for a late arrival here and there). We had one night in a refurbed room in June and the new rooms are awesome! I really like the food court, the Hippy Dippy pool, pool bar, and small size of the resort. Before our May trip to Pop, I would've said absolutely pay for the highest tier you can afford, but now I'm not a firm believer in that anymore (unless deluxe was an option, then I'd almost always vote deluxe). Maybe try a split stay just to try out a mod. 4/3 would be a decent split. However, personally I would choose CSR for a mod. I know a lot of people really like the PO resorts, but the theme of those resorts doesn't appeal to me. CSR is a beautiful, relaxing resort and we've always had a great experience with the buses.

My understanding is the only values with queens are the new rooms at the Pop unless it's a suite at AoA.

My honest opinion is if you aren't going to be in the room that much, then a value is the best deal and frankly I think the bus service is better to them anyway. As for spending time at the resort, if that means swimming, then that's one place that could be a let down as the pools don't have slides, but if your 3 year old is not going on the slides anyway, then you really don't have an issue.

Only the refurb rooms at Pop are queens as yet, and it's not even universal at Pop yet.

The mods have water slides at their pools, and CBR and POFQ have splash pads for short people. There are hot tubs. King is bookable at a Mod, so you could book a King room with a murphy bed if it's just you two and a small being.

We stayed at Pop for 4 nights in May and fell in love (we had stayed before but just for one night for a late arrival here and there). We had one night in a refurbed room in June and the new rooms are awesome! I really like the food court, the Hippy Dippy pool, pool bar, and small size of the resort. Before our May trip to Pop, I would've said absolutely pay for the highest tier you can afford, but now I'm not a firm believer in that anymore (unless deluxe was an option, then I'd almost always vote deluxe). Maybe try a split stay just to try out a mod. 4/3 would be a decent split. However, personally I would choose CSR for a mod. I know a lot of people really like the PO resorts, but the theme of those resorts doesn't appeal to me. CSR is a beautiful, relaxing resort and we've always had a great experience with the buses.

CSR looks beautiful but the size intimidates me! It does look like a resort that you can really spend a whole off day it which I like!

CSR looks beautiful but the size intimidates me! It does look like a resort that you can really spend a whole off day it which I like!

It's really not that bad. We like Casitas 4, which is close to bus stop 2 (the first to be picked up) and not too far from the food court area. It is a bit of a walk to the main pool, but it's a lovely walk. There is also a quiet pool in that section.

We are starting to plan our second trip to WDW, traveling Jan 2018. Our first trip we stayed 1 night at Pop and the rest at WL. Loved it! Looking at prices this time and POR and FQ are about $100 more a night than POP.

In your opinion is it worth it to make a jump to one of these Mods? What do they have that Pop doesn't? Thanks!

What those 2 resorts have that Pop doesn't:
hot tubs at main pool
slide at main pool
sit down restaurant at POR
boat transportation to Disney Springs
they are sister resorts so you can use pools at either one
several "quiet" pools that again, you can use no matter where you are staying
the indoor bar area with family friendly entertainment "Yehaa Bob"
not sure if they still have it, but they used to have fishing available
larger square footage in the rooms
I don't know what Pop has but these resorts have the privacy curtain separating
the sink area from the bedroom area, making for a little more privacy

Personally, I love these resorts & yes, I think they are worth it. But then again, I have never stayed at a value resort, they don't look appealing to me at this stage of my life. Good luck deciding, have a great trip!

Personally, I absolutely think that the mods are worth it. There is a pretty big jump from Value to Moderate in my opinion. POR is absolutely beautiful and POFQ is the smallest resort on property. I like them both over any of the values. The walk between the resorts is easy and lovely. It's nice to be able to use either pool and food court, though I am very partial to the POR food court. And, speaking of those food courts, at their busiest, I never found them to be as hectic as the value food courts. The rooms themselves are larger and more comfortable, in my opinion. The sheets are a higher quality and the walls are thicker which provide for a better night's sleep for me.

Now, all that said, the values aren't terrible at all. I just think that the mods are easily worth the higher price.

What those 2 resorts have that Pop doesn't:
hot tubs at main pool
slide at main pool
sit down restaurant at POR
boat transportation to Disney Springs
they are sister resorts so you can use pools at either one
several "quiet" pools that again, you can use no matter where you are staying
the indoor bar area with family friendly entertainment "Yehaa Bob"
not sure if they still have it, but they used to have fishing available
larger square footage in the rooms
I don't know what Pop has but these resorts have the privacy curtain separating
the sink area from the bedroom area, making for a little more privacy

Personally, I love these resorts & yes, I think they are worth it. But then again, I have never stayed at a value resort, they don't look appealing to me at this stage of my life. Good luck deciding, have a great trip!

Thank you! Such great info!

We very much prefer mods but have stayed at all levels depending on the budget. I've never quite spent $100 more a night to stay mod though. With discounts it usually comes out to more like $50-60 more a night and for that yes it's well worth it. Bigger comfier beds, nicer rooms, a TS restaurant, coffee maker for DH, nicer pools with really cool splash zones for the little ones and the most important thing for me is the quiet laid back feel of the mods (CBR being my fave). With the resorts being more spread out it never feels crowded or chaotic the way the values do to me. Even the food courts never seen as crazy. It's just a relaxing vacation within a vacation and a much preferred break from the parks for me.

I always say "worth it" is an individual decision so only you can determine that. But for me, yes, it is worth the extra money to stay at a moderate. I've stayed at all levels (value, mod, and deluxe). While I love the deluxes, the prices have gotten so out of control that I mostly stay at the moderate level. We like the amenities at the moderates like the pool slides, sit down restaurants, and upgraded linens, but I enjoy the lower price point of the moderates over deluxes. Our stay next month is at BLT on rented points, but we will still probably stay at the moderates mostly.

Many people say this, but it's actually the second smallest mod (POR and CBR are bigger). CSR is my favorite! I love the Dig Site with its slide, hot tub, and QS/drink refill. It has more amenities and dining than any other mod resort, and the central location means short bus rides to all the parks. The rehabbed rooms are wonderful, and it's priced cheaper than POR/FQ.

Many people say this, but it's actually the second smallest mod (POR and CBR are bigger). CSR is my favorite! I love the Dig Site with its slide, hot tub, and QS/drink refill. It has more amenities and dining than any other mod resort, and the central location means short bus rides to all the parks. The rehabbed rooms are wonderful, and it's priced cheaper than POR/FQ.

This has peaked my interest and I'm going to do some research! Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!