Concerned about POR

WDWorld2003

DIS Veteran
I've read a few posts lately that are making me wonder if we should switch plans to spend our 8 nights in POR - sounds like the hotel needs some rehab - not just the pool - maybe Carribean Beach would be better?

We were off site 9 years ago (our first trip) and have decided to shell out the $$$ and stay on site based on all we have read. We are arriving March 28 and leaving on April 5th. Any thoughts? Should we switch???? I want this to be a fun, special trip so I would like to choose wisely...... Any help would be appreciated.

:confused:

We stayed at POR from 12/25-12/30. It was a magical stay! Our room (alligator bayou 34) was clean, well maintained, quiet and comfortable. After at least 8 stays at POR (and other stays elsewhere) POR remains our favorite resort (after the WLV which just doesn't compare!!). In fact, POR is our 2nd home!

You will always hear some negative about any resort but I think that you will see that the positive reviews far outweigh the negative for this resort. Including mine; we stayed here twice in the last year and LOVED it both times. We stayed in the mansions both times (once in Acadian House and once in Oak Manor). I have never seen a more beautifully landscaped place. We loved to take walks aroung the resort both in early morning and just before bed. Relax and have fun, I am sure you will love it as much as we did. (We felt our 1st trip was kinda special as it was our honeymoon!;) )

We stayed at POR in December. Our room was in Oak Manor. We LOVED this resort. It was so peaceful and absolutely beautiful. I didn't have any complaints about our rooms either. As a matter of fact, we liked it so much that we are splitting our next trip to spend some more time at POR.

Jess

:Pinkbounc I feel much better about our choice. We may not be back for many years so it sounds like we'll be happy there based on your comments. Any suggestions on where to request a room?

I think, too think you will like it.

We have stayed there twice and surprisingly I liked the AB section better than the mansions!! I am not an outdoorsy person, but I loved the look and feel of the AB section. I didn't like the pics, but it looked much different and better in person.

I am never too picky about where my room is. We like to see what we get. And the majority of times I have loved the location of our rooms.

POR has one of my favorite food courts!

We stayed in Parterre Place in the mansions section over this past Thanksgiving, it was VERY clean.

Just back from 1/10 to 1/13 visit. It was great!

Like you I was concerned about my stay there, due to some of the negatives posted here. But I went with an open mind, thinking that it wouldn't be bad - and it wasn't.

My Alligator Bayou room was clean, no shabbiness (okay, one shower curtain hook broken, but that was it!). Good food court, watched the playoffs on Sunday at River Roost after the marathon, used the hot tub on Saturday at POFQ (you can walk, drive down, or take the water shuttle down to the pool).

Enjoy your time there.
--diane :jester:

We stayed there this last Dec. As a previous poster mentioned, there will always be those who pick at it and note problems. It is a great resort to stay at. Sure some of the boards at the dock look weathered and it is several years old but I can state it is one of the nicest resort at WDW. Shoot we would stay there just for the landscaping alone. We prefer the Bayou section. It is just beautiful. The restaurants aren't bad either. If I would have one complaint it might be if I got in one of the back building. We were in Bayou bldg. 14 close to everything. We would get on the bus at the first stop and by the time we would get to stop 4 or 5 the bus was sometimes standing room only. Evidently bldg. 14 is for those who need assistence or can't walk very far but we just requested it and got it. Hope this helps. I have included a link that has a lot of pictures and a map to help you out...smjj

http://64.41.109.164/index.htm

In the seven years since I have been going to WDW I have spent 49 nights in 11 of the resort hotels and we have always had a wonderful time. On my first trip we stayed at the Caribbean Beach. This was in 1996. There were a couple stains on the carpet and some damage to the bed and a few marks on the walls. We loved it there. At Port Orleans French Quarter there were a couple stains on the carpet and alot of stains on the shelf above the sinks in the bathroom. We enjoyed this resort and had a great stay. At the Grand Floridian we went to shower one afternoon after being at the MK and there was not hot water. Then there was no water at all. The pipe to our building had burst so we went swimming, to dinner and strolled around the grounds and came back and it was fixed. What a wonderful ( though overpriced) place to stay.
It all depends on your attitude. You can't allow some stains or a grumpy employee or a broken drawer to ruin your stay unless you enjoy that kind of feeling. Yes you do pay allot to stay at WDW resorts but don't let the small things wreck your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter