CONFIRMED - Illuminations replacement

Yeah, IP is what my response was about. I'm not completely sure about the drones, but I'll withhold judgement on that.
I’m skeptical as I’ve never seen them in use before (except in the super bowl half time a couple years ago). I’m just really disappointed they’re going this route when I feel like the core message of illuminations is perfect and super deep. I felt like that could’ve been built in with its successor

I hadn't thought of that but something like World of Color would be wonderful! But geared towards the countries, like you said, or unity as people. I don't want to see another show geared towards all the Disney characters. I can see that in the other parks.

One thing that gives me hope is that the latest night time show is Rivers of Light which, whatever your opinion of the actual show, I think fits the park and has a great message .... so if they can take the best parts of that, the best parts of Illumination, and the best parts of Happily Ever After and make it all fit I think it could be incredible

I’m skeptical as I’ve never seen them in use before (except in the super bowl half time a couple years ago). I’m just really disappointed they’re going this route when I feel like the core message of illuminations is perfect and super deep. I felt like that could’ve been built in with its successor

Well dosney used the drones for the show at Disney Springs so they have some experience

Though while that was pretty cool definitely think they would need to up their game from that to be truly impressive as part of an EPCOT nighttime show

Well dosney used the drones for the show at Disney Springs so they have some experience

Though while that was pretty cool definitely think they would need to up their game from that to be truly impressive as part of an EPCOT nighttime show
Yeah I just never saw that show in person and don’t think I watched any videos of it. But I’m overall confident in their ability to create nighttime shows (I do enjoy rivers of light as well). I’m just very skeptical of IP being in this show

Yeah I just never saw that show in person and don’t think I watched any videos of it. But I’m overall confident in their ability to create nighttime shows (I do enjoy rivers of light as well). I’m just very skeptical of IP being in this show

I don’t mind it in some limited way. I think it could be very natural to have characters be the “ambassador” of pavilions within the show, without it dominating the whole thing.

Of course, I’m a fine one to talk, as I still resent losing the last version of IllumiNations that I saw, back when it still had glorious classical music selections. :)

I don’t mind it in some limited way. I think it could be very natural to have characters be the “ambassador” of pavilions within the show, without it dominating the whole thing.

Of course, I’m a fine one to talk, as I still resent losing the last version of IllumiNations that I saw, back when it still had glorious classical music selections. :)

yeah, almost a "tapestry of nations" feel, but using Mulan as one element for China, and Mary Poppins for the UK, etc.

I was going to skip illuminations on my next trip in November. Now I will definitely make a point to see it!

I can see drones being a really cool element of a show, like the lasers are now. I am afraid they will try to use them as the main element of the show, which I don't think they'd be great at. We'll see.

As I stated earlier on this thread when the rumor came out, I am all for change and I applaud Disney for continuing to add new and/or update attractions. That being said, Illuminations is probably my absolute favorite thing at WDW. We got married at Disney and we used "We Go On" for our wedding song. Of the stuff that needs updating in the parks, why do they keep going after the stuff that is already great when there are dozens of other attractions sorely needing updates? They downgraded my favorite attraction - Soarin' with all the CGI and the "leaning tower of Eiffel". Can they update/improve the stuff that has been around forever that is awful? And try to add some Disney Parks creativity instead of just dropping in Disney movies IP?

Rumored aspects of new Illuminations show

IP "North, South, East, and West" North points to Future World (possibly guardians), South points to America, East to Frozen/Norway, West to Rat/UK.
I don't really understand this. I can sorta see North pointing to the future and East to Norway but how does South point to America and West to UK?

Not that I'm not excited to see what the new show will be, but my sister and I have been closing out our trips with Illuminations for almost 10 years now and it's become one of our favorite things. It's tough to see it ending after all this time.
That in mind, our next trip is planned for October 2019. If it's ending summer 2019, I wonder if it's worth it to move our trip up to June? Does anybody know when it's expected to officially close? I've only seen summer and it's tough to plan around that...

I don't really understand this. I can sorta see North pointing to the future and East to Norway but how does South point to America and West to UK?
Think of the lagoon as a compass. This was a hint given by Martin on wdwmagic. I was just trying to decipher it.

Like literally on a map EPCOT is situated with the entrance at due north - so if you are in the middle of the lagoon with a compass north would point to Future World, East would point to the Norway Pavilion, South to the America Pavilion, and West to the UK/France Pavilions

Think of the lagoon as a compass. This was a hint given by Martin on wdwmagic. I was just trying to decipher it.

Like literally on a map EPCOT is situated with the entrance at due north - so if you are in the middle of the lagoon with a compass north would point to Future World, East would point to the Norway Pavilion, South to the America Pavilion, and West to the UK/France Pavilions
Ahhh. Got it. I understand it now.

Not that I'm not excited to see what the new show will be, but my sister and I have been closing out our trips with Illuminations for almost 10 years now and it's become one of our favorite things. It's tough to see it ending after all this time.
That in mind, our next trip is planned for October 2019. If it's ending summer 2019, I wonder if it's worth it to move our trip up to June? Does anybody know when it's expected to officially close? I've only seen summer and it's tough to plan around that...
Official date is September 30th, 2019.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!