Confirming that RD at AK is still nuts

epcotobsessed

DIS Veteran
We will be there first week of July when the 7am EMH hours end and we are going on a day with no EMH, so it will be a 9am RD. I should still expect total chaos and a big crowd 1+ hours before RD, correct? Just trying to plan when we should head over. Thanks.

It is very crowded at the rope drop and before but we tried a different strategy while the massive crowd was headed to FoP (we had a fast pass for later) we headed for Expedition Everest and Kali River. We got in several rides with little to no wait on standby while the crowd occupied Pandora.

Thank you. Heading away from Pandora is definitely something we're considering, for exactly the reasons you did it. We do have a FP for FOP at noon, but are still debating whether we want to ride it twice and/or if we would rather ride Navi with no wait vs. any other ride several times with little or no wait, as you did. I think it will be a last-minute decision. I appreciate your feedback - we will definitely get there at least an hour before RD.

Thank you. Heading away from Pandora is definitely something we're considering, for exactly the reasons you did it. We do have a FP for FOP at noon, but are still debating whether we want to ride it twice and/or if we would rather ride Navi with no wait vs. any other ride several times with little or no wait, as you did. I think it will be a last-minute decision. I appreciate your feedback - we will definitely get there at least an hour before RD.
And here's a little more data you might find useful. The 8 year old wanted to ride FoP a 2nd time so we went back to the park after dinner (about an hour to ninety minutes before closing) and got into Standby. The phone app said the wait was 120+ min. The sign at the ride said 90 and it took us 42 minutes to ride it again.

Chaos?
Nope.

I had one experience I would call chaos. And then I had another exactly opposite. Chaos was a mad dash, including strollers, to Pandora and stopped at the bridge. Lots of jostling and bumping. Next time was a fast walk right to the entrance of Avatar, very controlled and orderly.

Thanks, I have read that! We are RDing at AK the day after RDing insanely early at HS the day before - not ideal, but that's how the FP availability worked out for us, so I am not sure we'll make it back for park close, but then again we usually have Disney adrenaline kick in and sacrifice sleep for fun - that definitely seems like the right thing to do in this case!

And here's a little more data you might find useful. The 8 year old wanted to ride FoP a 2nd time so we went back to the park after dinner (about an hour to ninety minutes before closing) and got into Standby. The phone app said the wait was 120+ min. The sign at the ride said 90 and it took us 42 minutes to ride it again.
this seems to be more of a norm now-we waited 87 minutes when we got in line on a sunday night at 9pm with a 10:30 park close a couple weeks ago. Think app had over 100 minutes for wait time...

If you decide to do Navi at Rope Drop, I don't think you'll have to get there terribly early.

In March, we entered Animal Kingdom gates at 7:35 am for a regular hours 8am opening, and we were on Navi at 7:45.

In other words, it was a walk-on.

If you decide to do Navi at Rope Drop, I don't think you'll have to get there terribly early.

In March, we entered Animal Kingdom gates at 7:35 am for a regular hours 8am opening, and we were on Navi at 7:45.

In other words, it was a walk-on.

Thanks - I do think fourth of July week will be busier, but I appreciate knowing this.

If you have a FP for FoP, I would do RD and go ride Navi, then head directly or to Everest. YOu should be able to ride several times before the crowd catches up. Most of the RD will be in line for FoP and tied up for at least 60-90 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter