Confused about annual pass discounts

DISfam2401

Mouseketeer
We go to WDW every year, usually with a 7-8 day park pass and photopass (as a family of 4-6 depending on which grandparents we bring.) This year I'm also taking a solo trip with a 2 day parkhopper. I've done the math and it looks like in park tickets and memory maker alone, it would basically cover the cost of an annual pass minus about $20. I'm wondering what the other discounts usually amount to. It's hard to get info on annual passes without actually owning them since the website just directs you to the page to purchase them. We usually rent DVC points so the hotel discounts won't really apply but I'm wondering about dining. Maybe someone could help me in my confusion?

1) It looks like most sit down restaurants offer a 10% discount. I saw somewhere that is for the passholder and up to 3 guests. If we eat as a party of 6 and I pay, would it cover everyone or would they only take the discount from 4 of us?

2) I've seen a lot of people rave about TIW. Is this really worth it? It includes alcohol, right? And I'm guessing the 20% is instead of the annual pass discount, not in addition, correct? We usually do one table service per day (so maybe 8 times a year and probably between all of us have maybe 3 alcoholic beverages per meal)

3) We usually do at least one RunDisney race and I see you can register early. Is that just for the passholder? Or can I sign up my family early as well?

4) If I use the annual pass discount at a restaurant, do I have to pay with a credit card right then or can I put it on my Magicband?

5) Just want to double check the discounts are good for dinner? I've seen places that say lunch only, but it looks like for 2018 it said "all available meals"

Sorry for so many questions, just want to make sure it's worth it to spend the money upfront (at Christmas time!) rather than spread out in April and November. Thanks!

We go to WDW every year, usually with a 7-8 day park pass and photopass (as a family of 4-6 depending on which grandparents we bring.) This year I'm also taking a solo trip with a 2 day parkhopper. I've done the math and it looks like in park tickets and memory maker alone, it would basically cover the cost of an annual pass minus about $20. I'm wondering what the other discounts usually amount to. It's hard to get info on annual passes without actually owning them since the website just directs you to the page to purchase them. We usually rent DVC points so the hotel discounts won't really apply but I'm wondering about dining. Maybe someone could help me in my confusion?

1) It looks like most sit down restaurants offer a 10% discount. I saw somewhere that is for the passholder and up to 3 guests. If we eat as a party of 6 and I pay, would it cover everyone or would they only take the discount from 4 of us?

2) I've seen a lot of people rave about TIW. Is this really worth it? It includes alcohol, right? And I'm guessing the 20% is instead of the annual pass discount, not in addition, correct? We usually do one table service per day (so maybe 8 times a year and probably between all of us have maybe 3 alcoholic beverages per meal)

3) We usually do at least one RunDisney race and I see you can register early. Is that just for the passholder? Or can I sign up my family early as well?

4) If I use the annual pass discount at a restaurant, do I have to pay with a credit card right then or can I put it on my Magicband?

5) Just want to double check the discounts are good for dinner? I've seen places that say lunch only, but it looks like for 2018 it said "all available meals"

Sorry for so many questions, just want to make sure it's worth it to spend the money upfront (at Christmas time!) rather than spread out in April and November. Thanks!
I can only answer a few of your questions since I don't have experience with the others, but here you go:

2. You are correct in that the 20% is not in addition to the AP discount. This one is pretty easy to do the math on. Just figure how much you would spend at each of those table service meals with an AP discount and compare it to the cost with the TWI discount (don't forget to add in the initial cost of the card). It has personally never been beneficial for me.

4. You can put it on your magic band.

5. Some restaurants do have exclusions about times. For instance, Morimoto Asia has a 10% discount but only Mon-Fri for lunch. For most restaurants though it's any meal. Most also exclude alcohol.

Also don't forget merchandise discounts if you tend to buy a lot of merch!

1) I have paid for meals for up to 5 people and only been asked to see one AP. I do not recall seeing that it is only up to 3 people, but it's possible I just haven't looked for that information. This would probably come down to the specific cast member and if they ask.

2) You would really need to do the math yourself to figure out if TIW is worth it for you and the way you dine (it's good for up to 10 people including the TIW holder). It is usually a bigger discount than AP, and does include alcohol, and offered in some places AP isn't. TIW does have blackout dates, so be sure to look at those as well. For us I feel it usually won't be worth it. If we lived closer or if it cost less I'd be more inclined.

3) I can't answer this one

4) Yes, you should be able to use your magic band to pay.

5) What specific meals it is good for probably depends on the restaurant itself. I feel like there should be a place where you can see this information but I can't think of where exactly.

Also keep in mind that there is a merchandise discount at a lot of the shops as well. This can add up to a lot of savings. Just remember to always have your AP card and your ID. And always ask if they have a discount available. A lot of cast members are good at asking if you have any, but not all of them do. Also if you are staying off-property your parking at the parks would be free with the AP, so that is another cost that adds up quickly. (It does not waive the parking fee at the resort).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter