Confused about Voom Surf Price/Per Adult/Devices Wording

Princess Katelet

Mouseketeer
So I'm looking at the internet prices and seeing that voom surf voyage package - three devices is $21.99 (with preboard book discount) adult per day. I'm really confused by the three devices per adult thing...

Is this $21.99 PER PERSON PER DAY IN A PARTY OF THREE? Or is it just worded really weirdly and it's a flat $21.99 per day and a family of three adults can each have a connection all at the same exact time?lt

I am indeed a family of three adults but I Just can't figure out if this is really $65.97 for the three of us, or $21.99 for the three of us.

IME the price you see is the price per day ... number of devices means number of devices that can use the signon at one time ....

if you are seeing $22 per day for 3 devices that is a very good price. 3 device surf & stream for my cruise next month is $44 per day

note a family of 3 may be able to get by with the package for ONE

dw and I get the ONE package ... this simply means we can't both be on at the same time. You simply log off device A then login with device B and so on. ONE USER at a time. Only if all 3 of you need to be using at the same time do you need the package for 3. (some have said the logoff happens automatically if 'the next' person logs on ... we always logged off manually) with ONE package you can give the code to 20 people, RCL doesn't care, but only can be using at one time. Got a 3 package ... you can give the code to 20 people and THREE can be using at any one time.

{detail: you get an access code when you have the package <should be on a card in your room>. To access the internet you use a browser to go to a specific website on the ship, enter the code and you get connected . . . }

I just booked with the special offer for 1 device (just me) WITHOUT streaming and it came to $69 for the week ($9.99 per day).

Last few cruises did the same, I would log on/off my phone/laptop. The laptop was mostly so others in our group could check their email.

Thinking this time I might not bring laptop since my new phone can hold more pictures and I'm not bringing a regular camera that I'd want to download from (just water camera for beach).

Last edited:
Unless you really feel the need for all three of you to connect at the same time, you really only need one Voom package.

You can connect all your devices to Royal Wi-fi, but with one package, only one would be able to be logged in at a time. When you want to use a different device, the user that is logged in will have to log out on their device, which allows another to log in. Its a very little bit of a pain, but beats paying another $22/day or whatever to add a second device.

I do want all three of us to be able to connect at the same time, otherwise how will we connect with each other when we are spread out all over the ship? So it sounds like the $21.99 package will let us do that, and that the $21.99 is per day and not per each of us.

I do want all three of us to be able to connect at the same time, otherwise how will we connect with each other when we are spread out all over the ship? So it sounds like the $21.99 package will let us do that, and that the $21.99 is per day and not per each of us.

Download Google Allo before you board!
You can communicate with each by connecting to the internet, but not having to log on/pay for wifi!
You cant call over the 'free' wifi, but you can message. And if anyone at home has it you can keep in touch with them too!

Correct, the wording is confusing.

Which ship are you on? Some have added messaging capability through their app. I have no idea how well it works though. I'll find out in 3 1/2 weeks :cool1:

Download Google Allo before you board!
You can communicate with each by connecting to the internet, but not having to log on/pay for wifi!
You cant call over the 'free' wifi, but you can message. And if anyone at home has it you can keep in touch with them too!
On a ship out at sea, you are charged to use the internet over wifi.

On a ship out at sea, you are charged to use the internet over wifi.

Nope, not with Allo. Used it on 4 ships as guest and crew. Go on airplane mode, turn WiFi on, connect to WiFi, don’t buy package, use Allo.
Never been charged.

So help me out here. I am so not up on all this. We go in Jan on the Grandeur. Have 2 cabins...one for DH and I and one for twin DDs-19. If I book Voom for 2 devices can each cabin be on one device each? And if we want to what'sapp (or text) each other, which Voom do we need? And should I pre buy it?

And it seems I need to get Voom for 2 in our cabin and just let DDs use mine. That will work?

Last edited:
So help me out here. I am so not up on all this. We go in Jan on the Grandeur. Have 2 cabins...one for DH and I and one for twin DDs-19. If I book Voom for 2 devices can each cabin be on one device each? And if we want to what'sapp (or text) each other, which Voom do we need? And should I pre buy it?

And it seems I need to get Voom for 2 in our cabin and just let DDs use mine. That will work?
I'm going to purchase Voom for one device ($9.99 a day) and switch off with DH if needed on our two devices. We don't use our phones much on cruises, so one is all we will need.

I will get the 2 devices under DH's name and our DDs can use one device (switching on and off using) while DH and I use the other (also switching on and off using or DH will just use all the time, he has to do work emails). That will work right? The $17.99/day for 2 devices will allow us to what'sapp each other (or even text)?

We always get two of the one-device surf and stream VOOM packages. We each go between our phones and tablets with our individual sign ons and it is not a problem. On the newer big ships the surf and stream works very well. We used Slingbox on our tablet and watched a football game while on Anthem streaming it onto the room TV. I always stalk my individual cruise planner and wait for prices to come down, then book it. If it goes lower I cancel and re-book. It is cheaper to book before you get on board.
Denise

IME the price you see is the price per day ... number of devices means number of devices that can use the signon at one time ....

if you are seeing $22 per day for 3 devices that is a very good price. 3 device surf & stream for my cruise next month is $44 per day

note a family of 3 may be able to get by with the package for ONE

dw and I get the ONE package ... this simply means we can't both be on at the same time. You simply log off device A then login with device B and so on. ONE USER at a time. Only if all 3 of you need to be using at the same time do you need the package for 3. (some have said the logoff happens automatically if 'the next' person logs on ... we always logged off manually) with ONE package you can give the code to 20 people, RCL doesn't care, but only can be using at one time. Got a 3 package ... you can give the code to 20 people and THREE can be using at any one time.

{detail: you get an access code when you have the package <should be on a card in your room>. To access the internet you use a browser to go to a specific website on the ship, enter the code and you get connected . . . }

My wife and I share a voom package for one. I dont want the kids online anyway, so I dont worry about their devices.

I want 2 devices so we can communicate with the DDs on board the ship...like tell them where we are and what time to meet up if we aren't together. DDs can use one device and DH the other. I just bought with OBC but will keep an eye out for a sale/deal.

Nope, not with Allo. Used it on 4 ships as guest and crew. Go on airplane mode, turn WiFi on, connect to WiFi, don’t buy package, use Allo.
Never been charged.
So allo is using an unblocked port on the router to do this. On most IT systems ports will be blocked unless you buy a wifi package that allows access. What cruise lines have you used allo on?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!