Connecting rooms?

krinicone

Mouseketeer
Has anyone requested connecting rooms and NOT gotten them?? Just wondering what the chances are of getting them? Bc we really want/need rooms that connect but villas and suites are a little out of our price range. We want to stay deluxe at either the Poly, GF, or BC. (Considering BLT too) Getting 2 standard rooms connecting would be ideal for the cost but if we absolutely have to we might be able to splurge on a 2 bedroom villa, although the cost of all of this is kindof outrageous. Hoping some discounts come out but we just don’t know yet ‍♀️ Possibly traveling with 4 adults, a 7 yr old, three 2 yr olds and a 10 mo old! Any and all opinions on this situation are welcome. please and thank you!

Since we have 6 kids, all of our trips to the world involve two connecting rooms. We haven't ever stayed deluxe(our more recent experiences involve Port Oleans Riverside, All-Star Sports, and Pop Century), but out of our more recent 7 trips or so, we haven't gotten connecting rooms once. And we politely asked if we could move to another set of rooms and they be connecting. They found us another set of rooms that were connecting, they ended up downgrading us to garden view from pool view or something along the way. They refunded us the difference and we were on our way. We leave in 5 days so hopefully our luck still holds true.
But if you need to have connecting rooms, then go with a suite. It's a request and it may not be granted. It's a luck of the draw issue. I would caution that if you do try for connecting rooms, make sure that is your only request and make sure your reservations have a traveling with designation(this can be done with a call to Disney).

Has anyone requested connecting rooms and NOT gotten them?? Just wondering what the chances are of getting them? Bc we really want/need rooms that connect but villas and suites are a little out of our price range. We want to stay deluxe at either the Poly, GF, or BC. (Considering BLT too) Getting 2 standard rooms connecting would be ideal for the cost but if we absolutely have to we might be able to splurge on a 2 bedroom villa, although the cost of all of this is kindof outrageous. Hoping some discounts come out but we just don’t know yet ‍♀️ Possibly traveling with 4 adults, a 7 yr old, three 2 yr olds and a 10 mo old! Any and all opinions on this situation are welcome. please and thank you!
Just an FYI - BLT does not have connecting studios. None of the DVC resorts do, except for the Poly. If you're considering BLT, you will need a 2BR in order for your party to have rooms that connect to one another.

Has anyone requested connecting rooms and NOT gotten them??

We haven't gotten them twice out of 3 times. It was my wife and I traveling with 5 kids under 10. First time we were able to be moved to same building at least on day 4. Second time we were able to get moved to same floor on day 5.

Just wondering what the chances are of getting them?

That's completely dependent on occupancy and how many others requested the same . WDW are the only ones that would know either of those, so impossible to say.

Last edited:

Yes, we've had plenty of reports of guests not getting their requests for connecting rooms granted. I would say, though, that the majority of those who request them do get them.

They will try to grant your request, but since connecting rooms aren't a bookable category, they can't block the rooms for you. In other words, it's entirely possible for more connecting room pairs to be requested for a given date than there are at the resort. Meaning someone's going to be out of luck.

You can lower the cost for a 2 bedroom villa somewhat by renting a reservation from a DVC owner. Be aware, though, that you would probably not be able to modify dates or cancel and get your money back.

My girlfriend has 5 kids and they generally go to Disney every year. They always stay at a value resort and always request connecting rooms. They have gotten them every single time...10 years running. Perhaps they are just lucky?

but if we absolutely have to we might be able to splurge on a 2 bedroom villa, although the cost of all of this is kindof outrageous.
Matter of opinion. Disney doesn't think the prices are outrageous. Possibly dozens (because WDW only has access to rent out 5%-10% of the DVC units) of visitors nightly don't think the prices are outrageous.

Anyway, depending on the relationships among the nine people, it could be possible to occupy two nonconnecting rooms. Not ideal, but possible.
My girlfriend has 5 kids and they generally go to Disney every year. They always stay at a value resort and always request connecting rooms. They have gotten them every single time...10 years running. Perhaps they are just lucky?
Pretty much.

You are more likely to get connecting rooms if you are 1-2 adults traveling with any number of children. If you have 3 or more people over 18, it becomes more of a request than a necessity.

You are more likely to get connecting rooms if you are 1-2 adults traveling with any number of children. If you have 3 or more people over 18, it becomes more of a request than a necessity.
Yet, 66% of the time the dansdad family traveled with this request, they were never able to get connecting rooms they'd requested.

Also, saying 1-2 adults with any number of children is misleading. A couple traveling with 1-2 children is unlikely to.

Yet, 66% of the time the dansdad family traveled with this request, they were never able to get connecting rooms they'd requested.

Also, saying 1-2 adults with any number of children is misleading. A couple traveling with 1-2 children is unlikely to.
If they paid for two rooms on one reservation, and there are 1-2 adults plus kids (any number up to the max occupancy of the rooms), the policy is supposed to be guaranteed connecting rooms for families.

Connecting. Rooms. Are. Never. Guaranteed. Claiming they are, strongly implies that experienced visitor dansdad is lying. Or that the infamous poster traveling with five children and no other adult and whose party was assigned to two non-connecting rooms was lying.

Your WDW reservation guarantees you a room or rooms. Period. End of story. Quod erat demonstrandum. That's not to say visitors requesting connecting rooms won't get them. They probably will. If there are none available, they won't.

If they paid for two rooms on one reservation, and there are 1-2 adults plus kids (any number up to the max occupancy of the rooms), the policy is supposed to be guaranteed connecting rooms for families.

As far as I know, there is no policy that guarantees connecting rooms for families. In fact, many posters on this thread have proven that it isn't a policy.

NOT correct. There is no such policy. Connecting rooms Are. Never. Guaranteed. Saying otherwise here is going to lead to folks being very disappointed, and it is very unfair to them.

On our last trip we requested connecting rooms and got them. It was DH and I, DS22, GF22, DS18, GF17. If we would have got two separate rooms we would have split guys in one, girls in the other. We just got lucky. We really wanted two rooms for the two bathrooms!

The CM I spoke to on the phone explained that getting a connecting rooms just depends on requests for that particular resort and availability. They prioritize single adults traveling with multiple children (like one mom taking her 6 kids which would need two rooms, but you can't have mom and three kids in one room, and three other kids in a totally different room alone), then couples traveling with small children, then families traveling with small children, etc. She specifically said connecting rooms are never guaranteed though!

Connecting. Rooms. Are. Never. Guaranteed. Claiming they are, strongly implies that experienced visitor dansdad is lying. Or that the infamous poster traveling with five children and no other adult and whose party was assigned to two non-connecting rooms was lying.

Nonsense. I'm not saying they are lying. I'm saying there is a policy. It may not be honored often, but technically there IS a policy.

Nonsense. I'm not saying they are lying. I'm saying there is a policy. It may not be honored often, but technically there IS a policy.
Three posters have stated this is not a policy, and certainly not a guarantee.
Two posters have actual experience needing, but not getting, connecting rooms despite meeting the supposed "...any number of children..." criteria.
One former poster (who i will not name because i haven't seen a post from them in years) traveled with five minors and no other adults, and did not get the requested connecting rooms.
WDW will assign connecting rooms when requested and available.

As far as I know, there is no policy that guarantees connecting rooms for families. In fact, many posters on this thread have proven that it isn't a policy.

I'd like to see said policy in writing somewhere. Even on Disney's own web site it states connecting rooms are a request only, not guaranteed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter