Considering a Campsite for Next Trip

Michelle Carter

Disney Mama of 4
As we will be a family of 6 next time we go to Disney World, instead of the family of 4 we were when we went as a whole family before years ago, we are considering a campsite instead of a hotel to save money. So, I need as much info as possible. We won't be booking a trip until 2021 opens up (as that's when we wanna go again) for booking.

Can we fit a 12-16 person tent on the site?
Do all the tent sites have a hook up for electricity (so we can charge phones, plug in a fan (for white noise and heat to sleep), blow up our air mattresses, etc.?
What sort of things should we bring for a tent campground if we only plan on sleeping and showering there, not doing anything recreationally/cooking/etc?
Which campsite do you need to pick to be closest to boat transportation/walking to the park?

It's hard to get a lot of info on the DW site right now bc they've been experiencing a glitch all day and everything just says it's completely booked/unavailable for party size, or I just get the stitch logo saying "someone ate the webpage".

Can we fit a 12-16 person tent on the site?

We've camped in the preferred loops (#2-#3) and loop 2000 which is a tent-popup site. We have a mini-camper (13 x 5ish) and a 10 x 10 side tent, and have room to spare in back. I'm going to try to attach a picture of one campsite.

Do all the tent sites have a hook up for electricity

Yep, all sites have electricity and water. Loops 1500 and 2000, the tent sites, don't have sewer, but the rest of the campground does.

What sort of things should we bring for a tent campground if we only plan on sleeping and showering there, not doing anything recreationally/cooking/etc?

Bring a broom for the inevitable sand/gravel that WILL trickle into your tent. Some kind of mat in front of the tent will help; we usually take shoes off at the door. I'd bring drinking water if possible; the water from the sites is potable but has a strong mineral taste (think well water).

Which campsite do you need to pick to be closest to boat transportation/walking to the park?

The preferred loops (1, 2 & 3) are the closest as far as I'm aware.

Attachments

• IMG_20181231_092619672_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181231_092619672_HDR.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 26
BarbLynnM gave you great info. Loop 100 (a Preferred loop) is the closest to the Settlement and the marina with boats to MK and WL/CR resorts.

First, depending on when you want to go in 2021, reservations are already available (499 days from the start of your trip). You just have to call as the rates for 2021 aren't posted yet (hence, why they aren't on the website)

You didn't say if you are tent campers away from the Fort. The Fort is the cheapest way to do WDW for a family bigger than 4/5, but if you don't already have the camping equipment, it can add up to be more than a Value. What time of year are you thinking? Many people tent camp at the Fort from May-September, but it will be VERY hot and humid. A lot of people in tents over the summer months use an air conditioner. It sounds crazy, but some tents even come with an A/C boot to blow the exhaust outside. January/February/March can have some pretty cold nights (below freezing occasionally). Although when I was down last February, it was in the 80s during the day and mid-60s at night.

As for site types, there are 5 types now. Tent/Popup, Full and Preferred all have a pea gravel area for tents. Premium and Premium Meadows only have asphalt. Like BarbLynn said, all sites have electric, water and cable. Tent/Popup sites don't have sewer, but all the other categories do.

j

BarbLynnM gave you some good answers and I'll pile on with my opinion.

First, a "12-16 person tent" is not really meaningful since those "sizes" assume laying side by side cheek to jowl. So what are the dimensions of the tent? Footprint size? If it's a big tent (for 6 people to move around in inside) then the Tent Loops (1500 and 2000 have the biggest tent pads).

But the Tent Loops aren't that close to much and the Preferred Loops (100-300) are which is where we like to stay. Some have big tent pads and some have small ones. So my advice would be to add a note to your reservation (when you make it) with the dimensions of your tent so that when sites are assigned and reviewed, the Fort Cast Members (who are good as gold) will ensure that you get a site that fits your stated tent size.

We have camped frequently in the Preferred Loops and I like 100 because of its proximity to the boat docks for MK and Contemp (we have a popup camper).

One thing you didn't mention is WHEN you want to go. Personally, I wouldn't want to camp in a tent at the Fort from June to September. Heat/humidity/rain are the reasons (think "every.single.day").

Another thing is you said "not cooking". Are you going to get the dining plan? The Fort has some options but since many campers have their kitchens and do cook, it's not as easy/convenient as at other resorts to go grab a bite on the Plan. The Fort has meals available at P&J's Southern Takeout (next to Trails End) that qualify for the Dining Plan (another reason for the Preferred Loops which are close by). There are some quick service meal options at the pool food counter and mug refill machines at the Pool and P&J's. And you can always bus/boat to WL or Contemp for their meal options but that's less convenient.

Finally, my question is whether your family camps at home and if it rained half the days you were staying at the Fort, has the family dealt with that sort of thing or would it completely ruin the trip? Tent camping to save money is great if you are used to tent camping and all that goes along with it. If not, it can ruin a family vacation. So I'm just checking for the experience level. We want you to have a great time at the Fort.

Bama Ed

But remember if you are in the 100 - 300 loops you are in a tent. You can hear a mouse pass gas outside your tent. You will hear the boats, the EWP, the people returning from the dock, the golf carts, etc. So if any of the family are light sleepers and not used to camping this could be an issue. How would the kids be on day three after limited interrupted sleep ?? Just things to consider. Like BamaEd mentioned, it does rain and possibly even a thundertorm, is the family going to be alright with the thought of only fabric between them and the elements ?
I don't want to sound terribly negative, but having read a recent thread here where the NOISE bothered people camping who wanted to do Disney cheap, camping is not everyone's thing.

But remember if you are in the 100 - 300 loops you are in a tent. You can hear a mouse pass gas outside your tent. You will hear the boats, the EWP, the people returning from the dock, the golf carts, etc. So if any of the family are light sleepers and not used to camping this could be an issue. How would the kids be on day three after limited interrupted sleep ??

True this.

I was camping in site 116 (the closest site to the lake literally) which is next to the walkway that goes to the Settlement Trading Post and the Disney Cast Members were using GAS POWERED back pack blowers on the pavement in front of the Trails End porch at 2am (don't ask me how I know this).

Also while in 116, did you know the Settlement Trading Post gets deliveries made overnight (don't ask me how I know this).

Maybe if you are on the other end of 100 or even in 200 these events may not be an issue. But there are plus's and minus's to being close to Bay Lake and the docks.

Bama Ed

We are not tenters but walked through I think it's 1500 loop to get to the main pool area from our site and we thought what a great loop, as close as many of the more expensive loops to the bus stop and pool etc. The sites sizes were nice also, you could definitely fit a very large tent with no problems.

We are not tenters but walked through I think it's 1500 loop to get to the main pool area from our site and we thought what a great loop, as close as many of the more expensive loops to the bus stop and pool etc. The sites sizes were nice also, you could definitely fit a very large tent with no problems.

Loop 1500 is the smaller of the tent loops, with 2000 having nearly twice as many campsites in it. Of course because it is closer, I am sure everyone who has a reservations requests this as the loop they would like, so it would depend on how many people are leaving the day you arrive as to if you get your requested loop or not. We have gone 3 times in the past and only gotten our requested loop once. Others fair better, getting it nearly every time.

Loop 1500 is the smaller of the tent loops, with 2000 having nearly twice as many campsites in it. Of course because it is closer, I am sure everyone who has a reservations requests this as the loop they would like, so it would depend on how many people are leaving the day you arrive as to if you get your requested loop or not. We have gone 3 times in the past and only gotten our requested loop once. Others fair better, getting it nearly every time.

We would comment to ourselves what a nice loop it was so just thought would mention. I, regardless of loop, would ask to be off road if possible especially in a tent. We luckily got loop we wanted last 3 times we went but I know that depends on many factors, we even got the exact site we wanted, so they do try to accommodate IF possible.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter