considering buying

Boopuff

DIS Veteran
If this has been asked before please direct me, I can't find a place to answer this:
Let's say I'm on vacation. Staying at a DVC resort paying cash through Disney. I decide to take a DVC tour while on vacation.
-Do I get some nice incentives for buying "on the spot?"
-Will Disney apply the room cost of my vacation toward the purchase price?
- How soon do points show up for my use?

Thanks

If you buy while onsite there really isn't anything extra they will mail you the bag and magnet you would get. For the tour (not buying) you might get $50-$100 but that is nothing in comparison to the total cost.

Points show up in an online portal that basically shows how many points you have, points you can bank/borrow, and ability to check availability for booking.

Have you looked much in to buying before? As an example are you planning on buying resale or direct? Have a specific resort in mind (all of them can be purchased if you want it)? Have you look at point requirements needed for when you stay and at the resort you want?

The cost of your room will not be used to offset DVC, unless it becomes a new incentive....that hasn’t happened in a long time,

Prior to Covid, the incentive was a gift card for each adult on the tour who is not a DVC Owner already and the amount was based on where you were staying...deluxe resorts for $75...FPs too but that isn’t happening now.

Points would be there for booking pretty much the same day..or at most the next one if you buy later in the day.

There are no additional incentives for ‘buying on the spot.’ You get whatever incentives you qualify for that may be in effect at that time.

No, you will not receive a credit of your cash room costs towards DVC purchase. That hasn’t been an available option for many years.

If you buy direct, you will have access to your points quickly. For existing members doing an add-on, it’s just a few hours to a day. For a new member I’d guess maybe a day or two since they need to set up the member number and account, but I bought resale first then added direct so I’m not sure.

I'm studying all the different purchase angles. So far in the initial stages. OKW is really what I'd like, but not available through direct (as far as the website shows.) so I may consider resale. It's a long way off until I purchase (ideally once Covid is gone forever :O) Thanks for your replys

I'm studying all the different purchase angles. So far in the initial stages. OKW is really what I'd like, but not available through direct (as far as the website shows.) so I may consider resale. It's a long way off until I purchase (ideally once Covid is gone forever :O) Thanks for your replys
Right,,the website 😂. They are all available. Seriously, just inform them your choice and have them go find it.

Check out the Disunplugged DVC videos. They have done some DVC 101 and FAQ videos when they first started talking about DVC.

There are no incentives for buying direct while staying onsite.

So if you plan to buy either way, you can "save" the cost of the stay by cancelling and then buy direct. As you a buying direct DVC will help you with a "Welcome home" stay but only once and for your first stay. For the welcome home stay DVC will bent over backwards to get you your dates.

The only sort of "incentives" for buying direct is that the price per point will be discounted with a few dollars if you buy a minimum of 150 points as a new member.

IMO only worth it if you can make use of the AP discount perk and go twice within a 12 month period.

You can see the list here of discounts here:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/direct-sales-incentives-summer-2020-expanded-list.3805288/

They will give you a giftcard for touring. The amount seems to depend on where you are staying. Also free ice cream (although they did not offer this to us when we took a tour so who knows). I would do a lot of research first regardless. Go in knowing what you want. You don’t want to be putty in their hands. Lol

Sounds like there are no gift cards, ice cream, or Fast Passes right now. They usually have some stickers?

We got our vacation stay applied to the down payment of our purchase. But that was 23 years ago. They had just discontinued the free passes with your resort stay in 1997 when we bought. They haven't had that incentive in a long, long time. When we bought, we got lemonade and cookies. And the pens we signed with.

We got our vacation stay applied to the down payment of our purchase. But that was 23 years ago. They had just discontinued the free passes with your resort stay in 1997 when we bought. They haven't had that incentive in a long, long time. When we bought, we got lemonade and cookies. And the pens we signed with.
Wow. Those were the days!!! If only... 🎇

I have a lot of researching to do. I just think that even with restrictions going forward (especially with resale) could be a big factor. Our deal is this: we live across the country from WDW, but not far from DL. We love WDW and would use our points there for the most part. (we've stayed at a lot of the resorts, and wouldn't care if we had to use our points at our home resort). But what happens if you own points at two different resorts? say I buy 100 for OKW and 50 for another place. how does that work?

I have a lot of researching to do. I just think that even with restrictions going forward (especially with resale) could be a big factor. Our deal is this: we live across the country from WDW, but not far from DL. We love WDW and would use our points there for the most part. (we've stayed at a lot of the resorts, and wouldn't care if we had to use our points at our home resort). But what happens if you own points at two different resorts? say I buy 100 for OKW and 50 for another place. how does that work?
11 months out can use 100 at OKW & 50 at the other. 7 months you can use all 150 together. 👍🏻

After more research, I'm leaning toward resale. Doing the math with 6 adults in our party and hopefully a 7th bundle of joy, the villas at OKW would be perfect for us. And the cost of a full on vacation for the entire family, the DVC costs wouldn't seem so bad!

If this has been asked before please direct me, I can't find a place to answer this:
Let's say I'm on vacation. Staying at a DVC resort paying cash through Disney. I decide to take a DVC tour while on vacation.
-Do I get some nice incentives for buying "on the spot?"
-Will Disney apply the room cost of my vacation toward the purchase price?
- How soon do points show up for my use?

Thanks
My experience has been:
100 USD gift card + 4 fast passes for the visit
drinks and few gadgets for buying
No room costs applied to the purchase price
a couple of months before beeing able to use the points

Hope it helps

Francesco

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!