considering buying

After more research, I'm leaning toward resale. Doing the math with 6 adults in our party and hopefully a 7th bundle of joy, the villas at OKW would be perfect for us. And the cost of a full on vacation for the entire family, the DVC costs wouldn't seem so bad!

Resale is a great option to save money. But heads up, it’s going to take 2-3 months to have full access to your member account and points. It’s worth it for the savings, but the wait makes even seasoned DVC members a bit impatient or anxious.

Resale is a great option to save money. But heads up, it’s going to take 2-3 months to have full access to your member account and points. It’s worth it for the savings, but the wait makes even seasoned DVC members a bit impatient or anxious.

Thanks, good to know! I was thinking if and when we bought I'd try to plan it around our trip!

After more research, I'm leaning toward resale. Doing the math with 6 adults in our party and hopefully a 7th bundle of joy, the villas at OKW would be perfect for us. And the cost of a full on vacation for the entire family, the DVC costs wouldn't seem so bad!

Just one thing because you can do a hybrid.

How often will you go? The AP discounts could be fairly significant for you with the size of your family (our family of 4 I estimated about $1k/year).

While we might go more in the future our plan is to stagger trips so that we buy an AP every other year:
March 2021 - Buy AP
Jan 2022 - Use AP
Jan 2023 - Buy AP
Dec 2024 - Use AP

Just by staggering even a week you can double up trips going 2x in 11 months then skipping 13 months then 2x in 11 months. I would really do the math because my math is only based on 4 of us.

Direct benefits are only still 100 points until October 1st most likely at which point it goes up to 125 points.

So... help with the borrowing/banking business. So let's say I want to go every other year can I bank/borrow to be able to afford a longer vacation? and can you stretch further to go once every 3rd year? not sure if I"m understanding the whole concept correctly

So... help with the borrowing/banking business. So let's say I want to go every other year can I bank/borrow to be able to afford a longer vacation? and can you stretch further to go once every 3rd year? not sure if I"m understanding the whole concept correctly

Point can only have 1 of 3 things done with them.

Use in actual UY
Borrow in to prior UY
Bank in to following UY

So your 2021 points can be used in 2020,21,22 UYs depending on what you do.

Restriction is you need to bank 4 months prior to your anniversary date. Limited time restriction is you can't borrow more than 50% of points.

Disney can always put restrictions on banking or borrowing.

Remeber UY is like your wedding anniversary. A year goes from the date to following year date it's not based on the calendar.

Yes, you can do that. The 3 year plan can be tough because it may lead you to strand points that can’t be used, especially while the 50% rule is in play.

But, banking and borrowing can give you more points for longer trips, For example, say you have 200 points,

You can bank them and then have 400 To use thst year, If you needed more, you could also borrow...right now up to 50%.

you guys are super helpful! I actually talked to my DH about all of this - and he didn't say no! Good start!
Another endless question: I understand there are restrictions (now) on resale points. From what I've read you're limited to the existing properties (not RIV) but can resale points be used at Disneyland?
and let's say I bank/borrow and have about 100 points left. I find a free weekend, can I use points to partially pay and finish the balance in cash? (lets say 3 nights and each night is 75 pts.)

you guys are super helpful! I actually talked to my DH about all of this - and he didn't say no! Good start!
Another endless question: I understand there are restrictions (now) on resale points. From what I've read you're limited to the existing properties (not RIV) but can resale points be used at Disneyland?
and let's say I bank/borrow and have about 100 points left. I find a free weekend, can I use points to partially pay and finish the balance in cash? (lets say 3 nights and each night is 75 pts.)
Resale points can be used at the Grand Californian Villas, but not the new DL Tower being built. GCV is very small, however, and very popular - it can be hard to find availability 7 months out.

You cannot pay part in points and part in cash. You could book a part stay in points then book the hotel side with cash, but you’d need to switch rooms.

I know some people have said they are not giving out gift cards for taking a tour on site but our guide sent us a $25 gift card through email after we got home from our trip 3 weeks ago. I guess that will buy me 6 bottles of water when we go back in 2 weeks!:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter