Considering DVC Purchase

britburns117

Earning My Ears
TL;DR: I have a few questions before I buy into DVC -- debating mostly about buying now with the incentives vs. Waiting until January when I can tour RR. Even if you only have a thought about one question I would still love to hear it! Thank you :)

I have been a frequent Disney guest for years, mostly coming for Run Disney races once a year to every other year (and sometimes combining 2 trips 11 months apart to make an annual pass worth it!). I have wanted to join DVC for a while and rented points to get some of the experience. Economically I was waiting until I had a job that made the purchase responsible and I'm finally at the point where I can pay cash for a contract (my job has not yet been impacted negatively by COVID and I feel that I have some security).

My past trips have been a combination of staying at moderates like Port Orlean FQ and Riverside, renting points at Animal Kingdom Lodge and splurging on a cash stay at Disneyland Hotel in CA and Beach Club. I've also done some stays at the Swan/Dolphin and used Marriott points. I would be staying hopefully in studios but occasionally would splurge on a 1 bedroom villa in order to get into other resorts at 7 months. I would take trips with my boyfriend or mother, rarely may be with more people. I'm 32 and hope to have kids sometime in the next 5 years and would anticipate having 2.

My next trip is in January 2021 (maybe? Will see how Covid plays out...) for marathon weekend, I'm running the Dopey challenge if it happens. I have a stay booked at Swan/Dolphin. I had already bought an annual pass for Star Wars weekend in April. Obviously that was cancelled and I haven't yet activated the pass, but would plan to in January so would visit again later in 2021.

I would love to crowd source some thoughts from those of you well versed in DVC. Here are my questions:

1. If my goal vacations would be in the fall (Sept-Nov) or January (marathon weekend) what use year would be best?

2a. I want to eventually stay in the Disneyland Tower. This means I should buy direct now, correct? I can afford a direct contract. It stings a titch to pay more, but I do want to be able to stay in Disneyland Towers (or Riviera).
2b. If I am buying direct are my options only CCV or RR? I see posts about people buying OTHER resorts direct. Should I ask a guide about that when I call? I have been to Wilderness lodge multiple times and think I would be happy with that as a home base. I have never been to RR, but have read good things about it. Obviously I am hesitant to own with the resale restrictions. I wouldn't plan to ever sell, but who knows.
2c. The incentives seem to be good right now, right? That's what I've gathered from reading some threads on here. This is why I'm thinking about buying now vs. just waiting until I go in January and touring RR.

3. Does the % of rooms as studios matter? Is there a way to find out this stat from all the resorts?

4. Is there a walking path to the monorail from CCV? Or is it only the boat to Magic Kingdom?

5. If I considered RR is the gondola down a lot? Or has it been pretty reliable?

Thanks for reading :)

Will get to your questions next but a couple thoughts:

I'm 32 and hope to have kids sometime in the next 5 years and would anticipate having 2.

Buying now is a great idea to take on that cost PRIOR to kids, ?marriage?, and will give you a more relaxed vibe. Some will say wait because your kids might not like it but I say having taken a kid as young as 6 months old while a little challenging its still a great time (just a different approach then an adults only trip).

my job has not yet been impacted negatively by COVID

This has me question will it? Do you see an issue in the future possibly? Buying direct you are going to lose value right off the bat so if you happen to lose your job can you afford the $1k-$2k/yr MFs (possibly renting your points out)?

My next trip is in January 2021

If you buy now you likely could find rooms for January actually on waitlist and cancel your stay at Swan/Dolphin saving you money (or points).

I have been to Wilderness lodge multiple times and think I would be happy with that as a home base.
You didn't ask this, but I am reading between the lines. You want to travel in the fall, and for race weekends, and want to stay in studios.

The only condition I would suggest buying CCV with those regular occurrences is by buying a fixed week tied to a race weekend. Studios at CCV are hard to get year-round, but especially for Run Disney events. CCV has a unique scenario where there is a small number of studios, and they sold a ton of points against the luxury waterfront cabins. But because DVC is a points-based timeshare, those points are mostly used for smaller lodging, making studios hard to get.

Add in that some studios were already sold for Marathon and Wine & Dine as Fixed Weeks, which means owners of those Fixed Weeks get booked to them 12 months out before public available.

tl:dr: don't buy CCV wanting studios for race events unless you can get a Fixed Week.

You didn't ask this, but I am reading between the lines. You want to travel in the fall, and for race weekends, and want to stay in studios.

The only condition I would suggest buying CCV with those regular occurrences is by buying a fixed week tied to a race weekend. Studios at CCV are hard to get year-round, but especially for Run Disney events. CCV has a unique scenario where there is a small number of studios, and they sold a ton of points against the luxury waterfront cabins. But because DVC is a points-based timeshare, those points are mostly used for smaller lodging, making studios hard to get.

Add in that some studios were already sold for Marathon and Wine & Dine as Fixed Weeks, which means owners of those Fixed Weeks get booked to them 12 months out before public available.

tl:dr: don't buy CCV wanting studios for race events unless you can get a Fixed Week.

Ohh I didn't realize this was an option. That sounds like a great idea. Can you give that week up one year if you do not want to use it? I tend to do marathon week every other year and then on the off years do Wine and Dine, star wars, etc Run Disney weeks. Or can you rent that week out if you choose not to use it one year?

1. If my goal vacations would be in the fall (Sept-Nov) or January (marathon weekend) what use year would be best?

Most will say September and I will say something crazy (June or April). I say June/April because in 10 years when your kids start school will you possibly shift from fall to summer trips? June/April still give you time to cancel that January trip and bank your points while also giving you flexibility over the summer in the future. (I have April and plan to typically stay Sept, Dec, Jan but also have the thought of July trips around our anniversary/summer vacation)

2a. I want to eventually stay in the Disneyland Tower. This means I should buy direct now, correct? I can afford a direct contract. It stings a titch to pay more, but I do want to be able to stay in Disneyland Towers (or Riviera).
2b. If I am buying direct are my options only CCV or RR? I see posts about people buying OTHER resorts direct. Should I ask a guide about that when I call? I have been to Wilderness lodge multiple times and think I would be happy with that as a home base. I have never been to RR, but have read good things about it. Obviously I am hesitant to own with the resale restrictions. I wouldn't plan to ever sell, but who knows.
2c. The incentives seem to be good right now, right? That's what I've gathered from reading some threads on here. This is why I'm thinking about buying now vs. just waiting until I go in January and touring RR.

The only way to stay at Disneyland Towers will be direct, purchase there resale (can only stay there), or to rent point. You could in theory just choose to rent/transfer points for the years you want to go to DIsneyland.

You can purchase direct anywhere and right now some sold out resorts have a small discount that normally is not a thing. The resale restriction only matters when you sell and people will go back and forth (while I think it negatively impacts price if you buy RIV its also cheaper upfront than CCV anyways so it absorbs some of that cost difference).

Incentives are likely the best they will get. I could be wrong but typically DVC does not become cheaper over time but more expensive. Maybe in January they have some extra discount but it could also be more expensive its a gamble either way.

3. Does the % of rooms as studios matter? Is there a way to find out this stat from all the resorts?

It can matter because it makes studios easier to book but honestly outside of CCV most resorts you can find studios when booking at 11 months. Also if you are a little flexible you can typically book something.

RIV/CCV you could also choose a fixed week as well to lock in a studio and always cancel not use. https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...iv-ccv-aul-charts-vgf-poly-no-charts.3806985/

4. Is there a walking path to the monorail from CCV? Or is it only the boat to Magic Kingdom?

No walking path that I am aware of just bus or boat to get around.

5. If I considered RR is the gondola down a lot? Or has it been pretty reliable?

It is reliable from what we can tell but will go down for lightning storms. This is something I think that can be planned for somewhat and if nothing else you can catch a very quick bus ride back to the resort. Long term I also think Disney will start to run it through storms more as from what I understand there is no requirement to shut it down they just choose to do so. Boats don't run during lightning storms either to my knowledge.

Ohh I didn't realize this was an option. That sounds like a great idea. Can you give that week up one year if you do not want to use it? I tend to do marathon week every other year and then on the off years do Wine and Dine, star wars, etc Run Disney weeks. Or can you rent that week out if you choose not to use it one year?

Yes, you can give up the week and get the points returned.

Important to note that it is the same week every year, so you'd have to buy multiple weeks to get both marathon and W&D or etc.

Fixed weeks are only available at RIV and CCV (and Aulani) right now; I don't think you can still buy one direct for either Poly or VGF, the other two resorts that offered FW.

And any DVC reservaion can be rented if demand is there for it.

Will get to your questions next but a couple thoughts:

Buying now is a great idea to take on that cost PRIOR to kids, ?marriage?, and will give you a more relaxed vibe. Some will say wait because your kids might not like it but I say having taken a kid as young as 6 months old while a little challenging its still a great time (just a different approach then an adults only trip).

This has me question will it? Do you see an issue in the future possibly? Buying direct you are going to lose value right off the bat so if you happen to lose your job can you afford the $1k-$2k/yr MFs (possibly renting your points out)?

If you buy now you likely could find rooms for January actually on waitlist and cancel your stay at Swan/Dolphin saving you money (or points).

Financially I'm pretty secure, I work in the newborn ICU which I don't anticipate being affected by COVID, our census has been stable throughout and I receive frequent recruitment emails for other institutions (though I really like where I am!). I have savings so it would be a safe purchase either way.

I agree, would like to purchase now before kids and marriage. I could always bring my parents to watch the kids when they are little :)

I agree, would like to purchase now before kids and marriage. I could always bring my parents to watch the kids when they are little :)

100% the move hahah, you watch them all afternoon and then when bedtime occurs the parents stay behind while you can go to dinner or the parks.

@_auroraborealis_ and @sethschroeder I just went down a fixed week rabbit hole and learned so much -- this looks like it would be a great idea for me to do for marathon week if they are still offering it!

I'm still a little torn between riviera and CCV. Has anyone ever bought blind without seeing a resort? I feel like since I know Wilderness Lodge I'm leaning toward that, but Riviera looks lovely in photos and the dining options also look great. Although Geyser point is a great way to end a day : )

Yes, you can. You can cancel and get the points back.

Only CCV offers a FW for Wine & Dine. It falls on the pricing for Week 44, but the huge benefit of this week is that you can choose when you check in and check out, so it doesn't need to follow the usual Sun-Sun week that other Fixed Weeks do.

If you wanted to buy both FWs, I'd be CCV for Wine & Dine and RIV for Marathon if you wanted both resorts (and RIV is cheaper on the price per point), or CCV for both. FWs do qualify for the incentives!

I'm still a little torn between riviera and CCV.

I bought at CCV and cancelled my contract and actually then went with RIV for a couple reasons:
  • We love Epcot area and nothing better than being able to grab dinner at a huge selection of restaurants in Epcot
  • Festivals will all be at Epcot so there is a direct draw to stay again by Epcot
  • CCV only has a boat to MK (10 mins + wait) and busses everywhere else, Riviera I can Skyliner to Epcot (6 mins + no wait) or HS (15 mins + no wait) then have busses to AK/MK
  • Riviera was much cheaper at $155/point for 300 points (existing member) while I would never buy 300 points at CCV and even if I did it would be more expensive
  • Riviera was superior for room size and capacity
  • MK is "easy" to get a room around while Epcot is "hard" to get a room around, so I can always look to stay at BLT with my RIV points if I really wanted to (I also had leaned towards BLT during my decision process)
  • I live in an area of the US where I can stay at resorts like CCV styling or rent a cabin for a week/weekend so less of a draw (although it is a great theme for a resort at Disney)

CCV is a great resort though and people absolutely love it there. You will never get a CCV Studio though if you don't own there but maybe 1BR at CCV could be had at 7 months during the fall? Honestly think that RIV might be easier for Studios at 7 months than CCV will be at 7 months (but things can change and you will be stuck in Premium at RIV never getting Standard or Tower Studios if you don't own there likely).

Yes, you can. You can cancel and get the points back.

Only CCV offers a FW for Wine & Dine. It falls on the pricing for Week 44, but the huge benefit of this week is that you can choose when you check in and check out, so it doesn't need to follow the usual Sun-Sun week that other Fixed Weeks do.

If you wanted to buy both FWs, I'd be CCV for Wine & Dine and RIV for Marathon if you wanted both resorts (and RIV is cheaper on the price per point), or CCV for both. FWs do qualify for the incentives!

Oh that's a great perk as well. A Wednesday-Wednesday would be great for the marathon! Rather than Sunday-Sunday and trying to add a few nights on at the beginning.

I bought at CCV and cancelled my contract and actually then went with RIV for a couple reasons:
  • We love Epcot area and nothing better than being able to grab dinner at a huge selection of restaurants in Epcot
  • Festivals will all be at Epcot so there is a direct draw to stay again by Epcot
  • CCV only has a boat to MK (10 mins + wait) and busses everywhere else, Riviera I can Skyliner to Epcot (6 mins + no wait) or HS (15 mins + no wait) then have busses to AK/MK
  • Riviera was much cheaper at $155/point for 300 points (existing member) while I would never buy 300 points at CCV and even if I did it would be more expensive
  • Riviera was superior for room size and capacity
  • MK is "easy" to get a room around while Epcot is "hard" to get a room around, so I can always look to stay at BLT with my RIV points if I really wanted to (I also had leaned towards BLT during my decision process)
  • I live in an area of the US where I can stay at resorts like CCV styling or rent a cabin for a week/weekend so less of a draw (although it is a great theme for a resort at Disney)

CCV is a great resort though and people absolutely love it there. You will never get a CCV Studio though if you don't own there but maybe 1BR at CCV could be had at 7 months during the fall? Honestly think that RIV might be easier for Studios at 7 months than CCV will be at 7 months (but things can change and you will be stuck in Premium at RIV never getting Standard or Tower Studios if you don't own there likely).

I'm actually from Michigan, and I grew up in Northern Michigan, so that's a good point that the theming isn't that unique. I didn't realize that BLT is a resort with reasonable availability at 7 months. I would be interested in staying at a monorail resort at times and would be happy with BLT -- even if it were a split stay.

Maybe I should just go with RR for a 150 pt contract, I can always add on more points later. I feel like it isn't an impulse purchase, I've been thinking about it for years. And taking advantage of the incentive and getting a fixed week early when they are still available seems smart!

Incentives are not going anywhere, DVC is not going anywhere, resale is not going anywhere. Here's some ideas.

First, I would slow your roll on the direct purchase. You can always do this next year or in December or whatever. Don't get pressured into a five figure commitment over a few hundred bucks in MUST ACT NOW incentives.

* Fixed week. You can get a fixed week with "special event" fixed week. These are new, only from 2018. Run Disney is a good pick, assuming it ever exists again. Maybe wait until this actually exists again? This is a BIG bet on this event existing.

* I would get a direct DVC guide and get him to tell you what Run Disney weeks he can give you. See what's out there. If they don't even offer that, it's, uh, a big hint.

* Get on the phone with a big resale broker and ask if they have a Run Disney week. You know they'll be on the phone to you when one is about to list. I'd use the big site with hundreds of listings for this.

I would buy any direct resort over RIV because of the resale restrictions, even extortionate VGF direct pricing. CCV with a fixed week is solid all around direct pick.

Or, wait until DL Tower. That might be a better choice for you all around, because you know that will hold value, even with the restrictions.

BUT, resale historically picks up around dues in January. You might be able to pick up resale loaded and really cheap and forget all about those measly direct perks.

Or, wait until DL Tower. That might be a better choice for you all around, because you know that will hold value, even with the restrictions.
I wouldn't do this, unless it was to buy this direct in addition to a WDW resort resale. Getting Run Disney on off-site property points, even a 1BR, can be weird.

Might be 3-5 years but I think we can be confident about RD coming back. It moos like a v fat happy 🐮.

We have a CCV fixed week for Wine and Dine race weekend, so if you have any other specific questions about that I can help.

* Fixed week. You can get a fixed week with "special event" fixed week. These are new, only from 2018. Run Disney is a good pick, assuming it ever exists again. Maybe wait until this actually exists again? This is a BIG bet on this event existing.

This is also a good point. It's important to note that the runDisney FW is contingent on the event actually continuing, and if it ever stops your FW will revert to a Sunday to Sunday week for whichever week you are deeded. For Wine & Dine, it's Week 44.

My guess is these events will begin again as normal once the pandemic concerns are past us, but when that will be is a very fair question. It's also worth considering if runDisney will even exist in the same form (or at all, frankly) if too many events are cancelled.

It sounds like you are a good candidate for a runDisney FW as we were, because you like the events and you want to stay at Wilderness Lodge (and CCV is inside of the lodge). But nothing is certain anymore in the wake of COVID-19.

That is an awesome chart Ruttangel. Thanks for posting!

Do you assume you resale sales price per point as a sort of average between large and small point packages, or how do you estimate those?

Incentives are not going anywhere, DVC is not going anywhere, resale is not going anywhere. Here's some ideas.

First, I would slow your roll on the direct purchase. You can always do this next year or in December or whatever. Don't get pressured into a five figure commitment over a few hundred bucks in MUST ACT NOW incentives.

* I would get a direct DVC guide and get him to tell you what Run Disney weeks he can give you. See what's out there. If they don't even offer that, it's, uh, a big hint.

* Get on the phone with a big resale broker and ask if they have a Run Disney week. You know they'll be on the phone to you when one is about to list. I'd use the big site with hundreds of listings for this.

I would buy any direct resort over RIV because of the resale restrictions, even extortionate VGF direct pricing. CCV with a fixed week is solid all around direct pick.

BUT, resale historically picks up around dues in January. You might be able to pick up resale loaded and really cheap and forget all about those measly direct perks.

I wouldn't do this, unless it was to buy this direct in addition to a WDW resort resale. Getting Run Disney on off-site property points, even a 1BR, can be weird.

Might be 3-5 years but I think we can be confident about RD coming back. It moos like a v fat happy 🐮.

I hope RunDisney survives Covid! It's been a really rough year for races, I'm feeling more and more skeptical about races happening in 2021. I talked with a guide yesterday about the RunDisney weeks and he is still waiting to hear if they are available--I'll keep you guys posted if I hear they aren't available anymore as a sign maybe things are changing. I do want direct so that I have an option to stay at RR or Disneyland towers, but would probably plan to add on points through resale. It really is a bummer they added the resale restriction, but I know I'm just preaching to the choir here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter