Considering DVC Purchase

We were going to get a FW as well but didnt like how they did the point assignment for the fixed week in our case. We have a Dec UY, so buying points we get points from the current UY Dec 2019 and our points this Dec as well. With a fixed week, we don't, we only get the 2019 UY points and then an automatic reservation for December of next year (since we were thinking of a FW in Dec). You would think they would use the 2021 Dec UY points for the FW next December when they make it since that is when your going, but our guide said no, they use the 2020 points to make the December week reservation even though its in our 2021 UY. So we just bought the points instead.
I believe your guide was mistaken. My understanding is all FW are booked using current UY points. It could be that FWs don't come up that often for guides, and since they aren't the ones making the booking they may not be sure.
I believe It is written in either the POS or the Home Resort rules and regulations that they will not use banked points for the FW reservation.

I was under that impression as well. I'm buying FW 44 at RIV with an Oct UY - 130pts + separate 25pts to get the incentive. I thought I'd get 155pts from 2019. Then the 25 for 2020, and the FW 130pts for 2020 would be used to book the Nov 2021 fixed week.

I'm glad that's not the case! If the NJ quarantine restrictions aren't lifted soon, I can't travel in Nov this year, so I'd take the points. Now to decide if want to use all 310pts to splurge on one upgraded trip when the restrictions are lifted.

Among all the fixed week details discussed with my guide, I forgot to say I wanted Oct use year. My guide assigned April UY which is the current standard. He had the contract changed to Oct.

Even with all my research I made a newbie mistake - just wanted to post my example of what not to do, because they're pushing April.

Last edited:
I believe your guide was mistaken. My understanding is all FW are booked using current UY points. It could be that FWs don't come up that often for guides, and since they aren't the ones making the booking they may not be sure.
I believe It is written in either the POS or the Home Resort rules and regulations that they will not use banked points for the FW reservation.
That is incorrect. He was told by the highest up person you can go (unless hes not really checking into it and is just saying he is and the info he gave us, which I highly doubt), that they book the FW at 12 months using the points within the 12 month UY, which for us would be 2020. Thus we would only get 2019 floating points and then this Dec for the 2020 UY, the minute they are loaded on the 1st they book the FW room for Dec of 2021. We would not get 2019 and 2020 points, only 2019.

That is incorrect. He was told by the highest up person you can go (unless hes not really checking into it and is just saying he is and the info he gave us, which I highly doubt), that they book the FW at 12 months using the points within the 12 month UY, which for us would be 2020. Thus we would only get 2019 floating points and then this Dec for the 2020 UY, the minute they are loaded on the 1st they book the FW room for Dec of 2021. We would not get 2019 and 2020 points, only 2019.

This would be an entire change of booking policy for FWs, in the case. I'm not saying you're mistaken, nor am I saying Disney can't suddenly change the way they do things, but the way it's been up to this point - from someone who owns a FW and has done bookings - is they can only be made with current UY points and banked points are not allowed. I've had the situation arise. Since I own a runDisney FW, a supervisor at MS makes the booking, and explicitly told me that I am not allowed to use banked points for the FW.

They also do not generally book the FW at 12 months. Usually it's more like 11 months and 2-3 weeks out. Sometimes it's as little as 1 week. This year they were allotted on DVC's side but the reservations didn't appear on the dashboard until around the 10.5 month mark (which had us sweating a bit).

This would be an entire change of booking policy for FWs, in the case. I'm not saying you're mistaken, nor am I saying Disney can't suddenly change the way they do things, but the way it's been up to this point - from someone who owns a FW and has done bookings - is they can only be made with current UY points and banked points are not allowed. I've had the situation arise. Since I own a runDisney FW, a supervisor at MS makes the booking, and explicitly told me that I am not allowed to use banked points for the FW.

They also do not generally book the FW at 12 months. Usually it's more like 11 months and 2-3 weeks out. Sometimes it's as little as 1 week. This year they were allotted on DVC's side but the reservations didn't appear on the dashboard until around the 10.5 month mark (which had us sweating a bit).
Ya, thats what I thought, but unless no one in the DVC side besides MS knows, then IDK. I would assume he was correct since he talked to the contracts team too and they said the same, and they are the ones that load the points into our account once you purchase direct. So if we got a FW then we would only have seen the 2019 points load instead of 2019 and 2020 as your case states. So we didnt get one.

I recently purchased 2 FWs at CCV and my contract states that banked, borrowed and transferred points can not be used to book a FW, and that only points for the current UY are applied to a FW.

I recently purchased 2 FWs at CCV and my contract states that banked, borrowed and transferred points can not be used to book a FW, and that only points for the current UY are applied to a FW.
What is your FW and your UY?
Did you get your current use year and your next use year points?

Last edited:

Just as a data point, I have an Oct UY, for Wine and Dine race weekend (late Oct/early Nov), and we purchased in the month of August so we did receive bankable points. In fact, because we purchased so late in the year, we couldn't book the current year FW either, so we had 2 years worth of points before we got to the UY with an actual FW - and none of those 2 years worth of points were allowed to be banked to book the FW.

FW 47 & 48, with Sep UY. Originally signed late June, then cancelled and rewrote contract late August (as I added RIV points and for another $5 off). I received 2019 and 2020 points.

You are all right, I had him double check again and we could have got 2019 and 2020 points and then the FW from 2021 and on. Even with that new info we decided we are good with just the points since we want to be flexible and if we wanted to do a studio/1 bed split stay or 1 bed the whole time, we can, with a FW we would have to cancel the FW studio to use those points.

You are all right, I had him double check again and we could have got 2019 and 2020 points and then the FW from 2021 and on. Even with that new info we decided we are good with just the points since we want to be flexible and if we wanted to do a studio/1 bed split stay or 1 bed the whole time, we can, with a FW we would have to cancel the FW studio to use those points.
You still retain flexibility with a FW; the benefit is just that if you wanted a studio the whole week, it gets prebooked for you and you don't have to do the 11month 8am shuffle to get it. :)

You still retain flexibility with a FW; the benefit is just that if you wanted a studio the whole week, it gets prebooked for you and you don't have to do the 11month 8am shuffle to get it. :)
True, but once you stay in a 1 bedroom, its hard to go back..

True, but once you stay in a 1 bedroom, its hard to go back..
That is SO TRUE. But when it's just the two of us, we do find that we don't mind Studios as much. That said, that's why my strategy was to buy the two fixed weeks in a studio direct, but then to start picking up CCV resale contracts to give me enough points to do 1BRs if desired (or add on more nights). :)

But when it's just the two of us, we do find that we don't mind Studios as much.

That's my thought. We "save" a little money which makes it easier to justify eating a sit down every day or going wild with festival food. With our whole family though for sure have 1/2br for the extra space and the kitchen if nothing else for snacks and breakfast.

Sure it's not actual cash savings on the spot but it's add on points we don't need then savings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter