Coronado pool - closing for 4 months refurb

zippy99

DIS Veteran
We decided to book Coronado for Sep 2018 back in Oct 17 we were aware of the construction, but happy that disruption was minimal and had watched several videos and excited to have a king room and enjoy the area.

Today, 2 days after paying our balance I received an email ‘Dear Guest’....

Guest?? They know who I am why not say Dear Zoe ? (Things like that annoy me - there is no need to be impersonal when they have all your info)

Anyhow, I digress.

The email went on to say that the feature pool and associated bar, snack area etc was going to be closed for the duration of our trip.

Unlike the refurb issues at CBR there was no discount package in place, I am not one for demanding compensation, however, to find a key feature of the resort was not going to be available is a bit unacceptable.

I ended up calling and was able to switch to either POR or POFQ free we have just booked POFQ for 2019 so this did not appeal as a viable option.

The cast member I spoke to was amazing - so helpful. AKL was priced but £500 more we then looked at OKW and managed to get an upgrade for £190. I snapped up the offer being aware that there were going to be many families trying to change.

We loved this resort back in 2010 am actually really excited now to be going back. Glad I was able to secure this change so quickly before demand got too high.

Just over 5 months ... and counting

That's good news that you managed to change and get something you wanted for a very reasonable price. We too are affected by this for our December stay and will see if anything is available that we fancy. In December the pool isn't such a big thing for us.

so glad to hear they let you change...was this a free dining offer package?
i would have been beyond annoyed had this happened to me, but like you ultimately happy that they let me change!!!
i probably would have accepted POR when they offered it so wouldn't have known that OKW was available at such a good price! (we love OKW as well!!)...shows that it's good to hold out and hear everything that's available!!

all's well that ends well!!

We just changed resorts for similar reasons. We love POFQ but it wasn't available when we first booked, so we booked CBR instead. We knew about the construction going on, but the foodcourt and shop were supposed to be done before our trip, so it wasn't a big deal. But after they announced the delay (didn't get an email by the way, I found out on the resorts board on this forum), I wasn't as happy about staying at CBR. Luckily some rooms opened up at POFQ so we switched as well.

We switched to POFQ. I asked about a price for OKW but it was £580 more for our stay!

Ours may have been cheaper as we had already paid an upgrade cost for QSDP to DDP that could explain the cost

that's great that they're letting everyone change! personally, i like POFQ much better than coronado anyway!!

We love POFQ too, but having just booked it for 2019 - did not want to do it two trips in a row

Ours may have been cheaper as we had already paid an upgrade cost for QSDP to DDP that could explain the cost

We love POFQ too, but having just booked it for 2019 - did not want to do it two trips in a row

well you're going to OKW....we LOVE OKW....have stayed there many times and enjoyed it every time...

but given the price constraint, i think they got a great deal being able to move to POFQ from coronado...we very much enjoyed our stays at POR/POFQ....

so it sounds like everyone did well!! :)

well you're going to OKW....we LOVE OKW....have stayed there many times and enjoyed it every time...

but given the price constraint, i think they got a great deal being able to move to POFQ from coronado...we very much enjoyed our stays at POR/POFQ....

so it sounds like everyone did well!! :)

Absolutely - the only reason we went for Coronado in the beginning was due to it being around £300 less than POFQ! So to get changed to that is FAB!

When do you travel?

Absolutely - the only reason we went for Coronado in the beginning was due to it being around £300 less than POFQ! So to get changed to that is FAB!

When do you travel?

i have reservations for august, but i'll have to cancel....
i'm in chemotherapy right now (triple negative breast cancer)
and have surgery (double mastectomy) in july....the recovery will be several weeks in the best of worlds...and i don't know yet if i'll also need radiation...in any case, a big demanding trip in august isn't in the cards...
i meant to call today to cancel, but i'll do it tomorrow...

but i have booked us for a trip in 2019, so it gives me something to plan!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter