Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Did you tell them that your shortness of breath is worsening? At what point do they deem you sufficiently ill to need some medical assistance? Did they have any answers for you?

Yes, they basically said if it gets to where you feel you are really gasping for air and just can’t breathe at all or if my DH notices I am really disoriented to go to the ER.

This is so incredibly sweet! I really hope you'll feel better soon and non of our family will get sick!

Yeah, he is such a little angel!!!!!

I just received email confirmation that my request to cancel our 25th anniversary land & sea vacation is complete. We were scheduled for end of August-beginning of September. Like others here, my hubby and I are in the compromised group, believe that our country hasn’t even peaked yet, and would rather have all of our deposit money back at this time. As sad as we are, we already had a May 2021 DCL before this cancellation and as DVC members, we know we will be back again at some point. (Virtual) hugs to everyone...stay safe and healthy

Oh no, I hope you both stay safe. If it does clear up by you anniversary, hopefully you can rebook at lower rates.

Yes, they basically said if it gets to where you feel you are really gasping for air and just can’t breathe at all or if my DH notices I am really disoriented to go to the ER.

Yeah, he is such a little angel!!!!!

Oh no, I hope you both stay safe. If it does clear up by you anniversary, hopefully you can rebook at lower rates.

Edit: There is mixed information on how effective chloroquine actually is for COVID-19. So, please just talk to your physician if the time comes that you need more help, as she or he will be better than people like me passing on random information.

I would be armed with this information if you go to the hospital: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0883944120303907?via=ihub

Although there have not been double-blind studies that I am aware of, they are underway now, and based on reports, there is reason to believe
chloroquine is a safe and very effective treatment. If this turns out to be true, the need for mass ventilators will go away. I am sure your healthcare provider will already know this information, but it never hurts to ask him or her to look at this as an emergency option if they don't know of it. In the U.S., a healthcare provider is allowed to use medication for unapproved uses, assuming they can get the medicine.

French Researchers had success when they combined the chloroquine with a z-pack: https://drive.google.com/file/d/186Bel9RqfsmEx55FDum4xY_IlWSHnGbj/view

Last edited:

I would be armed with this information if you go to the hospital: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0883944120303907?via=ihub

Although there have not been double-blind studies that I am aware of, they are underway now, and based on reports, there is reason to believe
chloroquine is a safe and very effective treatment. If this turns out to be true, the need for mass ventilators will go away. I am sure your healthcare provider will already know this information, but it never hurts to ask him or her to look at this as an emergency option if they don't know of it. In the U.S., a healthcare provider is allowed to use medication for unapproved uses, assuming they can get the medicine.

The "safeness" of chloroquine is debatable. There are blood values that need to be monitored pretty carefully (liver values mostly), you can have significant bone loss, hearing loss (I have a constant ringing from taking it) as well some other possible issues. Most people wont have significant issues but it should be noted that monitoring is needed whilst on this drug. All that said, I would be happy to take it with the onset of respiratory issues right now.

I also havent seen it reported the dosing or longevity of the drug course for this application. It may be much higher/ lower than what I was taking and that would of course alter the possible side effects and long term implications.

The "safeness" of chloroquine is debatable. There are blood values that need to be monitored pretty carefully (liver values mostly), you can have significant bone loss, hearing loss (I have a constant ringing from taking it) as well some other possible issues. Most people wont have significant issues but it should be noted that monitoring is needed whilst on this drug. All that said, I would be happy to take it with the onset of respiratory issues right now.

I also havent seen it reported the dosing or longevity of the drug course for this application. It may be much higher/ lower than what I was taking and that would of course alter the possible side effects and long term implications.

Good points. I should be careful about exaggerating its safeness. The drug does have side effects in some patients. My intent was for MonOTwins to raise this with her physician as a possible option if needed. I am not a physician and don't know much more than what I have read in a few papers on the subject.

Edit: There is mixed information on how effective chloroquine actually is for COVID-19.

Last edited:

Good points. I should be careful about exaggerating its safeness. The drug does have side effects in some patients. My intent was for MonOTwins to raise this with her physician as a possible option if needed. I am not a physician and don't know much more than what I have read in a few papers on the subject.

Edit: There is mixed information on how effective chloroquine actually is for COVID-19.

Oh definately something for MomofTwins to ask about if she needs to see a doctor again! I just wanted to add my experiences of everything that needed monitoring when I was on this drug. I forgot to add that I needed specialized eye appts every 6 months as well. I dont know how I originally forgot that as I feel about the eye dr the way most people feel about the dentist. Remember Rachael from friends needing eye drops? That was pretty much me every time.

Oh definately something for MomofTwins to ask about if she needs to see a doctor again! I just wanted to add my experiences of everything that needed monitoring when I was on this drug. I forgot to add that I needed specialized eye appts every 6 months as well. I dont know how I originally forgot that as I feel about the eye dr the way most people feel about the dentist. Remember Rachael from friends needing eye drops? That was pretty much me every time.
Yikes sounds awful—sorry you went through all that. Hope I won’t need it but thanks both of you for the info.

Yikes sounds awful—sorry you went through all that. Hope I won’t need it but thanks both of you for the info.
I want to reiterate, just so that I havent scared anyone off the possibility of taking it, I would absolutely ask about taking/ request this drug at the onset of any respiratory symptoms if I were sick. I'd just know that there is probably going to be some follow up necessary and that it isnt as innocuous as something like, say, benadryl.

I hope you are doing well. You are in my thoughts.

I've been thinking of her today, too.
Just checking in. Hope you are feeling better.
Thank you both! I actually do feel a lot better today. Still very tired, but fever is down (been in low 99 range this morning). Feels wonderful to finally be on the mend (I hope). Have definitely been a lot luckier than some.

Thank you both! I actually do feel a lot better today. Still very tired, but fever is down (been in low 99 range this morning). Feels wonderful to finally be on the mend (I hope). Have definitely been a lot luckier than some.
How is the rest of your family faring? Have they caught it? Glad to hear you're on the mend. We've all been thinking about you.

How is the rest of your family faring? Have they caught it? Glad to hear you're on the mend. We've all been thinking about you.
Thank you, that's very kind! All healthy so far, thank goodness (or got it but are asymptomatic, which I've heard is pretty common for kids). Missouri is switching over to a stay-at-home mandate beginning tomorrow which I think is a good thing--we've obviously all been at home anyway, and it was the kids' spring break this week and school was cancelled for the next two weeks as well, so it'll be more of the same for us. But I do hope the lockdown lessens the spread of this. I'm glad I didn't have to be hospitalized, but it was definitely not just a "regular" cold either--it is a very unpleasant virus.

Not a cruiser but who in their right mind is gonna be the first to step foot back on a cruise ship after this clears? Gotta think it takes years to ramp up trust Again. Maybe DLl is diff than the non themed cruise lines on this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter