Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

What on Earth is taking Disney so long here? Ain't no one getting on any April cruises for Spring Break and it isn't like any country is going to let them dock anyway.... potentially including the US.
They are basically trying to manage extensions/closures incrementally- to prevent the wave of cancellations that will follow. They are still likely swamped from all the cruises that were canceled through 4/12.

Thank you, that's very kind! All healthy so far, thank goodness (or got it but are asymptomatic, which I've heard is pretty common for kids). Missouri is switching over to a stay-at-home mandate beginning tomorrow which I think is a good thing--we've obviously all been at home anyway, and it was the kids' spring break this week and school was cancelled for the next two weeks as well, so it'll be more of the same for us. But I do hope the lockdown lessens the spread of this. I'm glad I didn't have to be hospitalized, but it was definitely not just a "regular" cold either--it is a very unpleasant virus.

Did you ever get tested? I am asking because someone in my family has been sick for about a month (not hospitalized and getting better but not well) and he hasn't been able to get a test. So now we don't know if we have someone who is weak and now more susceptible to catching it or someone who already caught it and might be becoming immune. Makes it tough to know what to do going forward.

Did you ever get tested? I am asking because someone in my family has been sick for about a month (not hospitalized and getting better but not well) and he hasn't been able to get a test. So now we don't know if we have someone who is weak and now more susceptible to catching it or someone who already caught it and might be becoming immune. Makes it tough to know what to do going forward.

Providence is opening drive through testing in my city - you still need a doctor's note to have it done, but supposedly they are writing them for people with symptoms. Hopefully it is expanded shortly... check in your area to see if anyone around you is doing pilot programs like theirs.

For now, though I know for a fact I was exposed to the virus (someone at my office went to the hospital and was tested/came back positive) and have been sick a few times since Jan I'm still assuming I should do what the city asks and stay indoors. Nothing is going to change for us whether or not we've had it anytime soon.

Count me in with the discouraged group of people who wishes Disney would give out further information about their cruises soon. So far my office is closed until 4/28 as are the schools here in Oregon but I imagine that will be pushed back a few more times...

Count me in with the discouraged group of people who wishes Disney would give out further information about their cruises soon. So far my office is closed until 4/28 as are the schools here in Oregon but I imagine that will be pushed back a few more times...

Yeah, we will have to make a decision on our cruise (and entire trip) soon. I don't think they really know what they are doing with those future cruises yet, but IMHO it's not looking good for us.

Not a cruiser but who in their right mind is gonna be the first to step foot back on a cruise ship after this clears? Gotta think it takes years to ramp up trust Again. Maybe DLl is diff than the non themed cruise lines on this?

The cruiselines didn't create the virus, so no need for them to regain my trust. I trust them now just as I always have. Will go our next cruise and look forward to many more in the years ahead.

Not a cruiser but who in their right mind is gonna be the first to step foot back on a cruise ship after this clears? Gotta think it takes years to ramp up trust Again. Maybe DLl is diff than the non themed cruise lines on this?

Id do it under the right circumstances. I hope this doesnt devastate the cruising industry, I love cruising and hope to be able to go again within the next couple of years. How different lines have handled the situation will effect which lines I am willing to sail in the future though.

Please dont think that just because someone has caught it, that the person cant catch it again. That's been shown as false. And also it is mutating. At least a couple of different strains have been IDed.

I'm so confused - I keep getting conflicting information from different supposed experts. I heard on the news recently that once you had it - you were probably good for at least a year...

Please dont think that just because someone has caught it, that the person cant catch it again. That's been shown as false. And also it is mutating. At least a couple of different strains have been IDed.

I'm so confused - I keep getting conflicting information from different supposed experts. I heard on the news recently that once you had it - you were probably good for at least a year...

There has been conflicting info out there, but right now they think (hope) that those who claimed to be reinfected weren't ever really cleared of the virus in the first place.

There has been conflicting info out there, but right now they think (hope) that those who claimed to be reinfected weren't ever really cleared of the virus in the first place.

I'd guess it depends on how comfortable you feel about reports from China, that is where I have seen the reinfection reports coming from. Personally I feel like if there have been reports of reinfection that cant be disproven then we need to weight the possibility of it happening more so than assuming you are immune. Most countries arent in a place where they can be in research mode with respect to a lot of aspects of this disease so I feel like a conservative line of thought is better. Ive heard from a doctor in Seattle and there are a couple of things they are seeing that they just dont know what to make of them. Im not comfortable sharing the doctor's name or the text I received so you can give this the weight of an unsubstantiated rumor but what was said made me think that making assumptions about typical viral expectations might be a very bad idea. Which is probably why I come off as so much more doomsday than others now.

The cruiselines didn't create the virus, so no need for them to regain my trust. I trust them now just as I always have. Will go our next cruise and look forward to many more in the years ahead.

Not sure I'd sail Princess again any time soon though :crazy2: Some of the recent reports about their past reports of virus breakouts onboard BEFORE this started makes me cautious. The only time we sailed on them was in 2015 on a British Isles cruise. We loved the ship and food, but were delayed in terminal for over 3 hours because the returning cruise had another (we were told) breakout of NoroVirus. Otherwise, I can't wait to get on a cruise ship in the future, I miss it so much.

I feel you! I also work at a university, everything is shut down but all 3000 staff are still expected to come in to work. Makes no sense to me! It's stressing me out. I need a vacation...but it was cancelled! haha.

Updating - Gov. Murphy of NJ announced that ALL libraries, including those of higher ed, are to be closed for the foreseeable future. I work at a library at the university, so I am home for the time being and requested paid sick leave. Best wishes to all those waiting for updates, worried about family members and elderly, and stressed about vacations and lost monies. Take care and stay safe.

What on Earth is taking Disney so long here? Ain't no one getting on any April cruises for Spring Break and it isn't like any country is going to let them dock anyway.... potentially including the US.
Thats where I at with them too. They are greedy and holding our money hostage. Each day they are collecting interest. I get that they might not want us to flood their phone lines with cancelations. Yet, every knows a cruise is not possible since we haven't peaked yet.

Thats where I at with them too. They are greedy and holding our money hostage. Each day they are collecting interest. I get that they might not want us to flood their phone lines with cancelations. Yet, every knows a cruise is not possible since we haven't peaked yet.

I would like my refund asap - they have extended many PIF to 30 days yet my sailing is 49 days out and I can't access mine. I accept that I won't be taking the cruise as I'm sure DCL have, so they should do the right thing and get on top of this.

I would like my refund asap - they have extended many PIF to 30 days yet my sailing is 49 days out and I can't access mine. I accept that I won't be taking the cruise as I'm sure DCL have, so they should do the right thing and get on top of this.

Same with us! We are not moving the sailing until we know if we will get the 125% credit or just a refund. All of the sailings we can take next year are more expensive, so we need the larger credit. I am ready to make some plans for the future. Wish dcl would just announce something already :(

This is from the 17th, an interview with a CDC expert:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927015#vp_2
What do we know about immunity? Can patients get reinfected?

Long-term immunity after exposure and infection is virtually unknown, Dr. Butler said. Investigators know those with COVID-19 have an antibody response, but whether that is protective or not, is unclear. In regard to older coronaviruses, such as those that cause colds, patients generally develop an antibody response and may have a period of immunity, but that immunity eventually wanes and reinfection can occur.

For our family, the answers to questions like this, as well as the development of a succesful vaccine, are going to be the determining factors for when we return to cruising. We WANT to cruise again. We have a DCL Alaska cruise booked for May 2021 [booked opening day earlier this year]. But even if DCL is back to sailing by then, if there isn't a vaccine and/or definite immunity (and by then we've had it) then we won't be sailing then.

Finally, FYI for those interested in what other cruise lines are upto, this is Princess Cruises's current temporary cancellation policy: https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/temporary-cancellation-policy.html

Not sure if already mentioned here:

Today at 3PM (Amsterdam time, so that's 9AM New York time) I've received an e-mail from DCL for the cruises April - August on all 4 ships get a delayed PIF-date. I am booked on the Fantasy sailing on 31AUG20.

Content of the e-mail.
We know you may have questions and concerns about the new coronavirus (COVID-19). You should know that we are taking precautionary steps to protect our Guests and Crew Members, such as enhanced screening and elevated cleaning protocols. We are also committed to keeping you informed and updated, and are happy to address any questions you have in advance of your cruise and once you're onboard.

As you may be aware, Disney Cruise Line extended the suspension of new departures through April 12, 2020, in an abundance of caution and in the best interest of our Guests, Cast and Crew. We are currently evaluating various options for sailings beyond April 12 and have not made changes to any itineraries at this time. Once a decision is made, we will reach out to Guests booked on these sailings.

To help relieve some uncertainty, we are automatically extending final payment for an additional 30 days for the following sailings:

• Disney Dream
    • Sailings embarking June 21 - August 30
  • Disney Fantasy
    • Sailings embarking July 25 - August 31
  • Disney Wonder
    • Sailings embarking July 20 - August 31
  • Disney Magic
    • Sailings embarking August 5 - August 30
Guests who booked their reservation through a travel agent should contact them directly with any questions. Those who booked directly with Disney Cruise Line may call us at 1-866-325-6685 or 407-566-7797. Updates will also be posted online as new information becomes available.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate through these unprecedented times and please note that call volumes may be higher than normal. We look forward to welcoming you aboard and providing you with a magical cruise experience.

@Karin1984 Thanks, that appears to match what was posted on the DCL Blog last week. Oddly, it still hasn't been posted to DCL's website.

Not sure if already mentioned here:

Today at 3PM (Amsterdam time, so that's 9AM New York time) I've received an e-mail from DCL for the cruises April - August on all 4 ships get a delayed PIF-date. I am booked on the Fantasy sailing on 31AUG20.

Content of the e-mail.
Thanks for this info - still no info on the European sailings - we’ve PIF for ours and I’m peeved that DCL are holding onto that money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter