Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

DCL owes you and me nothing, they didn’t cause the situation and 100% is more than fair. *****ing about the extra 25% that we aren’t even entitled to is ridiculous. People are dying and people are stuck on being wronged in their ruined vacation plans. I have a May cruise planned as well, the situation sucks but it’s not DCLs fault and they are doing the best they can.

DCL actually does owe me....over $10k of my money tied up in a May Alaska cruise that they absolutely cannot deliver on. I don’t want a credit. I don’t care even if the credit is up to 200%, I still don’t want it. I just want some honest communication and my money back for a cruise that I paid for that they cannot deliver on. The fact that the cruise cannot happen is not their fault but them holding my money hostage and having zero communication with me is their fault.

DCL actually does owe me....over $10k of my money tied up in a May Alaska cruise that they absolutely cannot deliver on. I don’t want a credit. I don’t care even if the credit is up to 200%, I still don’t want it. I just want some honest communication and my money back for a cruise that I paid for that they cannot deliver on. The fact that the cruise cannot happen is not their fault but them holding my money hostage and having zero communication with me is their fault.

And you will get your money back, and likely before or by the time your sail date is. I’m going to venture to say that all of us who have booked the more $$ Alaska/European itineraries are in a spot where we don’t need that money this instant to put food on the table for our families. We will be made whole, I am just done losing sleep over trying to control something I can’t. I trust that we will be made whole by Disney in due time, and that’s enough.

DCL owes you and me nothing, they didn’t cause the situation and 100% is more than fair. *****ing about the extra 25% that we aren’t even entitled to is ridiculous. People are dying and people are stuck on being wronged in their ruined vacation plans. I have a May cruise planned as well, the situation sucks but it’s not DCLs fault and they are doing the best they can.

My family is on a cruise in 6 weeks that will not be sailing. No way there won’t be people with Coronavirus at that point. I am willing to reschedule to the same cruise next year so that DCL can use my $9600 for a year. But, the same cruise next year in the same cabins is $1600 more. This may not be DCLs fault, but it also isn’t my fault. I don’t want to be out another $1600 for the same cruise - DCL should kick in the extra 25% credit to cover it if they want me to sail.

The longer they take to cancel the cruise, the fewer cabins are available on that cruise. They may just drag their feet long enough to push me to a total refund.

And you will get your money back, and likely before or by the time your sail date is. I’m going to venture to say that all of us who have booked the more $$ Alaska/European itineraries are in a spot where we don’t need that money this instant to put food on the table for our families. We will be made whole, I am just done losing sleep over trying to control something I can’t. I trust that we will be made whole by Disney in due time, and that’s enough.

it’s funny that people with cruises deep into summer are complaining. My cruise is 4/30 and I’m still in limbo but I’m not worried about it.

I’d venture to say that many of the individuals that have June and July cruises that want their money back now would also then throw a fit if things were in good enough shape to cruise over the summer, their cruise still happened, but they had already canceled for a refund. No cruise line is canceling June+ cruises yet. It isn’t just a Disney thing

The fact of the matter is that DCL cannot process thousands and thousands of refunds in a day, or even a week. I seems like they are spreading out the cancellation announcements to a few weeks at a time, and going in chronological order which seems fair to me. I don’t believe that they are holding onto people’s money to be difficult or because they don’t care.

I’ve been so close to calling to rebook our May cruise and then keep restraining myself and wanting to hold out just in case for bonus cruise credit. I’ve already rebooked the land part because I don’t think they are going to offer a better incentive than free dining (which is not great for us but we changed resorts to make it a better deal).

it’s funny that people with cruises deep into summer are complaining. My cruise is 4/30 and I’m still in limbo but I’m not worried about it.

I’d venture to say that many of the individuals that have June and July cruises that want their money back now would also then throw a fit if things were in good enough shape to cruise over the summer, their cruise still happened, but they had already canceled for a refund. No cruise line is canceling June+ cruises yet. It isn’t just a Disney thing

Us June Alaska people KNOW our cruise isn't happening.
FACT, it cannot happen. The port of Vancouver is closed.

I'm fine with not getting a refund IMMEDIATELY.

I am NOT fine with Disney refusing to even acknowledge that our cruise isn't happening and getting my refund in progress.

Wow! Radiance sailing through Nov 1? Are there just not that many or do they know something we don't know?

That's European, Canadian and Cuba Sailings they are canceling. They probably know those are not likely to happen and it would be hard to fill new itineraries all things considered. Right now it's still in Cadiz being retrofitted. Cadiz is shut down IIRC, so it'll be a while before they can even get it finished. They will probably leave it parked there as long as Cadiz will let them after they open back up to shipyard work and finish the retrofit.

My family is on a cruise in 6 weeks that will not be sailing. No way there won’t be people with Coronavirus at that point. I am willing to reschedule to the same cruise next year so that DCL can use my $9600 for a year. But, the same cruise next year in the same cabins is $1600 more. This may not be DCLs fault, but it also isn’t my fault. I don’t want to be out another $1600 for the same cruise - DCL should kick in the extra 25% credit to cover it if they want me to sail.

The longer they take to cancel the cruise, the fewer cabins are available on that cruise. They may just drag their feet long enough to push me to a total refund.
In my opinion, DCL should give everyone who’s cruise is canceled, a chance to rebook with the credit by 24 months from the day they would be getting off the cruise, Just like a placeholder.

When I saw that I thought the same thing. What does Carnival know that we don’t?
Carnival doesn't cruise in Europe every year and when they do it's usually to launch a new ship. I think this is the first year they've had multiple ships over there. Their primary market is the Caribbean. They probably had so many people cancel they decided to cancel the season. Other cruise lines may follow suit. I don't think it's because they know anything it's just a lack of customers. It's the same reason airlines have reduced flight by 70%. They don't want to fly or sail empty ships.

Us June Alaska people KNOW our cruise isn't happening.
FACT, it cannot happen. The port of Vancouver is closed.

I'm fine with not getting a refund IMMEDIATELY.

I am NOT fine with Disney refusing to even acknowledge that our cruise isn't happening and getting my refund in progress.

I totally agree. I'm supposed to be on the May 8 Hawaii sailing. Until a couple of weeks ago, there was hope that maybe DCL would get a waiver and be able to sail out of San Diego. But the Hawaii quarantine order killed those hopes. Now the Port of San Diego is closed too. The lack of communication or even acknowledgement has been the frustrating part. My sailing has exactly zero open ports. It's not happening.

I know we'll get our money or a credit at some point. But in the meantime there's a ton of people left in limbo.

We were supposed to be on the April 25 Wonder sailing to Vancouver to celebrate DH 50th birthday. I knew the cruise wasn't going to happen and I knew that they would eventually tell me what my options were once they had it worked out. And they did. When I called on Tuesday to transfer my credit to another sailing, the agent told me that every single cancellation has to be processed by the accounting department. That department is much smaller than the reservations department and it's a major task because it's not just per reservation, it's per person. When I called, she already knew what my refund amount would be and was able to quickly transfer it to the new cruise. She said the refund on the port charges will take awhile because that has to go back through accounting just the same as if I had cancelled the cruise and asked for a refund. They can't do that until they have confirmation of what I want to do with the cruise. FWIW I was able to cancel another cruise which isn't until next summer and she said that refund can be processed by her so it will come much quicker.

By having the accounting department pre-process the refunds, they are able to send out notices and issue the refunds/credits starting the next day. And the credit transfers can be done online vs. over the phone which frees up the phone lines for people who need to call vs those who know what they want and can just make the reservation online themselves. I think that's why the wait times are not near as long now.

If they were to just blanket cancel all cruises through June, the accounting department would be even more overwhelmed and who knows how long it would take for those refunds/credits to be processed. If you are going to Alaska in June, you know your cruise is going to be cancelled and you know they are going to issue a refund or give you a credit. It is just going to take awhile before they can do it because they have to deal with the thousands of people who were booked in April and May first. It really is a matter of waiting your turn and letting them do their job. Would it be nice to be able to get last years pricing for next year? I can't disagree. But I really don't think they owe us anything more than what we paid because there is no way they could have predicted this. I am 100% certain they would rather keep you on the ship this summer and sell those rooms next summer to someone else. I think the 125% if a fair gesture considering the circumstances and I was happy to take it and know that I will get to still get to go on a cruise this year. It would be nice to have the money in my pocket but I need something to look forward to and I appreciate that they are giving us options even if it is taking longer than we would prefer.

We were supposed to be on the April 25 Wonder sailing to Vancouver to celebrate DH 50th birthday. I knew the cruise wasn't going to happen and I knew that they would eventually tell me what my options were once they had it worked out. And they did. When I called on Tuesday to transfer my credit to another sailing, the agent told me that every single cancellation has to be processed by the accounting department. That department is much smaller than the reservations department and it's a major task because it's not just per reservation, it's per person. When I called, she already knew what my refund amount would be and was able to quickly transfer it to the new cruise. She said the refund on the port charges will take awhile because that has to go back through accounting just the same as if I had cancelled the cruise and asked for a refund. They can't do that until they have confirmation of what I want to do with the cruise. FWIW I was able to cancel another cruise which isn't until next summer and she said that refund can be processed by her so it will come much quicker.

By having the accounting department pre-process the refunds, they are able to send out notices and issue the refunds/credits starting the next day. And the credit transfers can be done online vs. over the phone which frees up the phone lines for people who need to call vs those who know what they want and can just make the reservation online themselves. I think that's why the wait times are not near as long now.

If they were to just blanket cancel all cruises through June, the accounting department would be even more overwhelmed and who knows how long it would take for those refunds/credits to be processed. If you are going to Alaska in June, you know your cruise is going to be cancelled and you know they are going to issue a refund or give you a credit. It is just going to take awhile before they can do it because they have to deal with the thousands of people who were booked in April and May first. It really is a matter of waiting your turn and letting them do their job. Would it be nice to be able to get last years pricing for next year? I can't disagree. But I really don't think they owe us anything more than what we paid because there is no way they could have predicted this. I am 100% certain they would rather keep you on the ship this summer and sell those rooms next summer to someone else. I think the 125% if a fair gesture considering the circumstances and I was happy to take it and know that I will get to still get to go on a cruise this year. It would be nice to have the money in my pocket but I need something to look forward to and I appreciate that they are giving us options even if it is taking longer than we would prefer.

I think a majority of the issue is more the lack of communication and/or an acknowledgement that the cruise isn’t happening. They can admit it isn’t happening and provide the June Alaska bookings their eventual options WITHOUT allowing us to rebook immediately. I am fine with waiting to a certain date to be able to rebook. I just want some type of acknowledgment that the cruise I booked is not happening and that I will not be losing 1000s of dollars.

You have to remember you had the peace of mind knowing you had the option to get a 100% credit from early on when they first announced the policy through May 31st. As of yesterday, the June Alaska bookings still don’t have a delayed cancel policy or even the option to rebook at 100%. We are still being told our itinerary can be modified and there is no guarantee we will even get a credit if we don’t like the new itinerary and choose not to sail.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter