Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

For any wondering about placeholders and credits, I can only tell you my experience. Was booked on the Dream 4/20 and waited for Disney to cancel. My placeholder was returned to me and we immediately booked another cruise with it as well as the 125%. Ended up being cheaper than the original and the rest is now a substantial onboard credit.

I think a majority of the issue is more the lack of communication and/or an acknowledgement that the cruise isn’t happening. They can admit it isn’t happening and provide the June Alaska bookings their eventual options WITHOUT allowing us to rebook immediately. I am fine with waiting to a certain date to be able to rebook. I just want some type of acknowledgment that the cruise I booked is not happening and that I will not be losing 1000s of dollars.

You have to remember you had the piece of mind knowing you had the option to get a 100% credit from early on when they first announced the policy through May 31st. As of yesterday, the June Alaska bookings still don’t have a delayed cancel policy or even the option to rebook at 100%. We are still being told our itinerary can be modified and there is no guarantee we will even get a credit if we don’t like the new itinerary and chose not to sail.

I do agree with you there. They should be letting you know what the plan is for the Alaska cruises and Europe, for that matter. I think they don't know. I think they are hoping to have another option to offer in place of those cruises. If they can't go to Alaska, maybe they can go somewhere else. For those with the time off, maybe you will take the option of something vs. the nothing they have right now? Probably not because nothing is the same as Alaska or Europe. But when this is over, some people may just want to go somewhere. Anywhere. As soon as they tell you they are definitely not going to sail, the cancellations will flood in faster than they can manage them and they will not be ready to process them and that's what they are trying to avoid.

Personally, I am shocked you can still book a cruise on May 4. There is no way that sailing is happening. But I don't think they want to rule out the possibility until they have no other choice. I volunteer for a baseball league and we are in the same situation. Some people are upset with us and think we should cancel the season now but others still want to play and are holding out hope that we can get in at least part of the season. We will never make everyone happy. For now we are waiting until we know for sure that we have no other option because we have to do what is best for the league. Thankfully I only have to refund one cruise worth of people if it comes down to that. I can barely sleep thinking about it because I know that's probably the reality and it will be a ton of work. But when the time comes, I'll do what I have to do because I will know we exhausted all of our options.

I think a majority of the issue is more the lack of communication and/or an acknowledgement that the cruise isn’t happening. They can admit it isn’t happening and provide the June Alaska bookings their eventual options WITHOUT allowing us to rebook immediately. I am fine with waiting to a certain date to be able to rebook. I just want some type of acknowledgment that the cruise I booked is not happening and that I will not be losing 1000s of dollars.

You have to remember you had the piece of mind knowing you had the option to get a 100% credit from early on when they first announced the policy through May 31st. As of yesterday, the June Alaska bookings still don’t have a delayed cancel policy or even the option to rebook at 100%. We are still being told our itinerary can be modified and there is no guarantee we will even get a credit if we don’t like the new itinerary and chose not to sail.

That’s exactly it. Everyone else has been given, at least, the option to move to another date. The June Alaska cruises have been given zero options and have had almost no communication. That’s the concern. They even gave the July cruises on the Magic the option to move, which is as it should be, but those ports are actually open. Ours are literally closed.

So I ended up calling DCL this morning about the cruise. They said I had not cancelled, but instead it was put in a “hold” queue. I was told that only those who had not put their cruise on hold void get the offer. The agent told me they have been fielding a lot of similar calls, so the higher ups are determining whether to extend the offer to those who did the same as me. If we are extended the offer, it will be emailed to your address on file. I’m not going to hold my breath.
I received an email stating that I’ve got the extra 25% credit to use within 15 months. Woo!

For the cruises that have been cancelled, the e-mails state that once you take the 125% you are still able to cancel if you later decide you cannot sail. Has anyone asked for clarification on this? Are you able to cancel only up until a certain date or is close to the date of sailing allowed? It seems very vague.

For the cruises that have been cancelled, the e-mails state that once you take the 125% you are still able to cancel if you later decide you cannot sail. Has anyone asked for clarification on this? Are you able to cancel only up until a certain date or is close to the date of sailing allowed? It seems very vague.
I posted this in another thread, but the email also states the cancellation terms of the future cruise will apply. So 100% refund up to PIF, then you start to forfeit funds as follows (unless you have a *GT fare, which is 100% non-refundable):

Cruises 1 to 5 Nights (Excluding Suites and Concierge Staterooms)
Days Prior to Vacation Commencement DateFee Amount
89-45 daysDeposit per Guest
44-30 days50% of vacation price per Guest
29-15 days75% of vacation price per Guest
14 days or less100% of vacation price per Guest
Cruises of 6 Nights or More (Excluding Suites and Concierge Staterooms)
119-56 daysDeposit per Guest
55-30 days50% of vacation price per Guest
29-15 days75% of vacation price per Guest
14 days or less100% of vacation price per Guest
Suite and Concierge Staterooms: All Sailings
90 days or moreDeposit per Guest
89-56 days50% of vacation price per Guest
55-30 days75% of vacation price per Guest
29 days or less100% of vacation price per Guest

That’s exactly it. Everyone else has been given, at least, the option to move to another date. The June Alaska cruises have been given zero options and have had almost no communication. That’s the concern. They even gave the July cruises on the Magic the option to move, which is as it should be, but those ports are actually open. Ours are literally closed.
I can assure you the Mediterranean ports aren't open at the moment

Are VGT rates still refundable/credit if the ship doesn’t sail? Our July cruise now has a VGT rate that we are thinking about cancelling and rebooking for. It’s $1600 cheaper than our original booking last September.

Are VGT rates still refundable/credit if the ship doesn’t sail? Our July cruise now has a VGT rate that we are thinking about cancelling and rebooking for. It’s $1600 cheaper than our original booking last September.
We had booked the VGT rate on the 4/24 Wonder cruise that was cancelled. We were offered the 100% refund (or 125% FCC) because it was cancelled. The VGT did not make a difference.

Well, we had more bad news today. My in-laws got bad news from their doctor and won't be able to cruise with us after all. Our cruise was in late May and we were hoping they might be able to reschedule for later in the summer or next year and still take advantage of the 100% FCC option, but based on my mother-in-law's prognosis that won't be possible.

My DH and I wrestled back and forth about whether the roll the dice and hope DCL cancels, but our 45 day mark was looming and with all the uncertainty we just can't be sure 100% that DCL will cancel (we're on the Dream, so unlike Alaska/Europe it does seem possible to us they might go forward with our bahamas cruise) and so we decided to deal with the loss of the 20% deposit rather than risk losing 50% or more if DCL decides not to cancel after we hit that 45-day mark.

I am mostly just really sad that this was going to be our first (and probably only) vacation with my in-laws and now the kiddos will never get to have that special time with their grandparents.

I hate Covid 19.

I may be wrong but I thought the Canadian ports were still open when DCL made the call about the much worse off Med ports. I can kind of see it from DCLs viewpoint, no matter what they do they are going to be in the wrong for some people. If they go ahead and give you the option to rebook now at 100% credit then cancel these cruises later they will need to expend extra effort correcting all of those that jumped at the 100% to either 125% or refunds (assuming that's what they offer if they cancel). Or refuse to give those that rebooked first the extra and really feel some wrath. So say they go ahead and cancel now without the ability to have a plan in place. Some people may jump at the refund and then be upset they didnt get the 125% or vice versa (I know theyd eventually get the refund but my understanding is that the people would need to wait out the clock on their credit before getting the refund if they initially choose the credit route). By waiting a bit extra now I am sure they are hoping to have better plans in place. It seems like DCL is doing the right thing, they are just trying to strike a balance on when its best for them and customer satisfaction IMO.

I am closely following how all cruise lines are handling this, who does what when and with how much prodding will inform which lines I take "big" cruises with in the future. DCL is far from being the trailing line with what Ive witnessed.

I may be wrong but I thought the Canadian ports were still open when DCL made the call about the much worse off Med ports. I can kind of see it from DCLs viewpoint, no matter what they do they are going to be in the wrong for some people. If they go ahead and give you the option to rebook now at 100% credit then cancel these cruises later they will need to expend extra effort correcting all of those that jumped at the 100% to either 125% or refunds (assuming that's what they offer if they cancel). Or refuse to give those that rebooked first the extra and really feel some wrath. So say they go ahead and cancel now without the ability to have a plan in place. Some people may jump at the refund and then be upset they didnt get the 125% or vice versa (I know theyd eventually get the refund but my understanding is that the people would need to wait out the clock on their credit before getting the refund if they initially choose the credit route). By waiting a bit extra now I am sure they are hoping to have better plans in place. It seems like DCL is doing the right thing, they are just trying to strike a balance on when its best for them and customer satisfaction IMO.

I am closely following how all cruise lines are handling this, who does what when and with how much prodding will inform which lines I take "big" cruises with in the future. DCL is far from being the trailing line with what Ive witnessed.

We will have to disagree on this. The June 1st cruise moves to the 50% penalty as of Monday. So, I am stuck debating whether to lose my deposit or risk that Disney will do the right thing and offer us to rebook at a later date. I think they will so we will likely risk it, but was expressly told if they change the cruise from an Alaskan cruise to another itinerary that we may not be able to get a refund if we don’t like the replacement cruise. I don’t think that is right at all given our port is closed.

We will have to disagree on this. The June 1st cruise moves to the 50% penalty as of Monday. So, I am stuck debating whether to lose my deposit or risk that Disney will do the right thing and offer us to rebook at a later date. I think they will so we will likely risk it, but was expressly told if they change the cruise from an Alaskan cruise to another itinerary that we may not be able to get a refund if we don’t like the replacement cruise. I don’t think that is right at all given our port is closed.
Yep, that’s why we lost the game of chicken too—we didn’t want to go from losing deposit to losing 50% if they didn’t cancel a cruise that my MIL could no longer take due to Covid. It would be nice if they let you switch to FCC but keep the cancellation policy at loss of deposit instead of making it 100% nonrefundable.

I think that’s highly unlikely. Every time they have had to completely change an itinerary in the past (due to hurricanes or civil unrest) they have given those booked on the cruise the option of a full refund.

I think that’s highly unlikely. Every time they have had to completely change an itinerary in the past (due to hurricanes or civil unrest) they have given those booked on the cruise the option of a full refund.

I agree highly unlikely, which is why we will risk it. But, that is what I was told when I called.

Well, we had more bad news today. My in-laws got bad news from their doctor and won't be able to cruise with us after all. Our cruise was in late May and we were hoping they might be able to reschedule for later in the summer or next year and still take advantage of the 100% FCC option, but based on my mother-in-law's prognosis that won't be possible.

My DH and I wrestled back and forth about whether the roll the dice and hope DCL cancels, but our 45 day mark was looming and with all the uncertainty we just can't be sure 100% that DCL will cancel (we're on the Dream, so unlike Alaska/Europe it does seem possible to us they might go forward with our bahamas cruise) and so we decided to deal with the loss of the 20% deposit rather than risk losing 50% or more if DCL decides not to cancel after we hit that 45-day mark.

I am mostly just really sad that this was going to be our first (and probably only) vacation with my in-laws and now the kiddos will never get to have that special time with their grandparents.

I hate Covid 19.

We were scheduled for mid-May on the Dream and canceled. At this point, we have lost our deposit but couldn't run the risk of losing the whole thing if they somehow managed to sail. I'm hoping that once they do cancel, as I'm 99% sure they will, they will offer the non-refundable portion back to us like they did to the first round of people that canceled before the offer was made. It is a calculated risk. Best of luck to you.

We were scheduled for mid-May on the Dream and canceled. At this point, we have lost our deposit but couldn't run the risk of losing the whole thing if they somehow managed to sail. I'm hoping that once they do cancel, as I'm 99% sure they will, they will offer the non-refundable portion back to us like they did to the first round of people that canceled before the offer was made. It is a calculated risk. Best of luck to you.
Didn’t realize they did that kind of refund before when they cancelled. Well, I won’t count on it, but if they do that it’d be nice.

Did you cancel before DCL offered temporary flexible cancellation? I thought all sailings through May 31 are eligible to rebook up until the day before embarkation (unless that sailing ends up being cancelled instead). I am faced with the same decision (to lose 10% deposit now or gamble for my June sailing to end up cancelling) towards the end of the month. I think unless there is still a government order in place by June, DCL will likely try to start back up even though it's probably still not a good idea to cruise by then.

LAX

Did you cancel before DCL offered temporary flexible cancellation? I thought all sailings through May 31 are eligible to rebook up until the day before embarkation (unless that sailing ends up being cancelled instead). I am faced with the same decision (to lose 10% deposit now or gamble for my June sailing to end up cancelling) towards the end of the month. I think unless there is still a government order in place by June, DCL will likely try to start back up even though it's probably still not a good idea to cruise by then.

LAX

I canceled last week on day 46 prior to cruising. We did have the option of moving 100% to another date but at this point I don't think my mom is interested in ever cruising again. Once you move it, there is no option for any type of refund. So, for us, it made the most sense to cancel and lose as little as possible which was just the deposit. We did have the travel insurance through Disney so we have the option of filing a claim. We could then use 75% of the non-refundable deposit to apply towards a future cruise. I haven't filed the claim yet because I'm fairly certain the cruise will be canceled and hoping I'll be able to recoup the deposit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter