Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Are you cruising in June? We are and I just wish they’d do something. Everyone else has an option but we can’t even move ours.

I am in the same predicament. Those sailing before June have until one day prior to sailing to cancel or rebook without penalty. Those sailing in August (maybe even July) have had their PIF pushed back 30 days so they can cancel without penalty (I would have if given the option). For those sailing Europe and Alaska in June, at least they can count on the ports likely being closed until July 1 (so cancellations). I, on the other hand, am stuck with absolutely no assurance that I can even rebook without penalty. In less than a month, I need to decide on taking a 10% penalty hit if DCL doesn't expand the flexible cancellation to include June sailings. I honestly don't think it's prudent to sail in June even if there is a dip in new confirmed cases by then. Hence, I will end up losing a bigger gamble if I try to ride it all the way to June to see if DCL ends up canceling it.

LAX

Last edited:
I am in the same predicament. Those sailing before June have until one day prior to sailing to cancel or rebook without penalty. Those sailing in August (maybe even July) have had their PIF pushed back 30 days so they can cancel without penalty (I would have if given the option). For those sailing Europe and Alaska in June, at least they can count on the ports likely being closed until July 1 (so cancellations). I, on the other hand, am stuck with absolutely no assurance that I can even rebook without penalty. In a less than a month, I need to decide on taking a 10% penalty hit if DCL doesn't expand the flexible cancellation to include June sailings. I honestly don't think it's prudent to sail in June even if there is a dip in new confirmed cases by then. Hence, I will end up losing a bigger gamble if I try to ride it all the way to June to see if DCL ends up canceling it.

LAX
I also have a June sailing and am worried about the exact same thing. It seems everyone else has the option to cancel/rebook or has had their PIF date moved later (or, as you pointed out, those with Europe or Alaska sailings in June that will likely be cancelled). I’m very undecided what to do right now.

I personally think the delays for the Magic & Wonder is that it’s more than cancelling a voyage it’s drastically altering the next 4-5 months of sailings particularly for the Magic- if it doesn’t go to Europe what does it do not so much May but aug/sept/whenever it was to head back and it’ll prob be/hopefully be safe to sail? Rewriting a whole season during this crazy is a daunting task

Dream/fantasy are easier as they can easily pick up their planned itineraries.

Personally I’d love for the Magic to stay in Miami and sail a good itinerary I can switch from my 5day Fantasy end of Sep

So my 5/4 cruise on the Magic (4-night) was booked using my placeholder. I'm just counting the days until DCL emails me that it has been canceled. At that point my placeholder should go back onto my account and I'll have the option to cancel the cruise completely or take the 125%. I found one cruise that fits my schedule and it would be a 7-night. My guess is no but can I apply my placeholder 10% to the 125%?

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...ey-wonder-passenger-crew-member-test-positive
The county’s new orders bar additional cruise ships from dropping off passengers in the harbor without public health approval if any passengers have COVID-19. A second order bars any cruise ship from disembarking passengers or crew for any reason after Tuesday, March 31. Ships are, however, allowed to dock “solely for the purposes of receiving fuel and provisions as long as no employee or passenger disembarks.”

Basically says Wonder cannot go from SD until an undetermined date.

So my 5/4 cruise on the Magic (4-night) was booked using my placeholder. I'm just counting the days until DCL emails me that it has been canceled. At that point my placeholder should go back onto my account and I'll have the option to cancel the cruise completely or take the 125%. I found one cruise that fits my schedule and it would be a 7-night. My guess is no but can I apply my placeholder 10% to the 125%?
I was told previously that you retain your onboard booking discount (placeholder discount) and onboard credit if you secured your placeholder b4 they discontinued providing such credit.

I asked my TA and she said that DCL will not allow "stacking" of discounts, so "no."

For those who have taken the 125% credit for a future cruise, can you explain how the taxes were handled? Were you refunded the taxes for the canceled cruise or is this moved to the new cruise as a credit?

My guess is no but can I apply my placeholder 10% to the 125%?
At one point early in this mess, DCL was allowing the OBB benefits to be moved. That may have been when it was just a 100% credit, but I haven't seen any reports from folks losing their OBB because of the 125% credit. So I believe unlike any other discount, the OBB from a cancelled cruise will stack with the 125% credit -- probably because the 10% comes off the new cruise fare and the 125% is simply a credit listed like a payment (100% + 25%). But I can’t guarantee DCL will continue playing by the same rules with future cancellations so you’ll have to wait and see what is offered.

Hopefully someone has done this and will comment.

Sorry your cruise is impacted, good luck with the re-scheduling!

As my country started with measures around the 12th of March, which got stricter last week, I thought it might be interesting to give some insights how another country is doing, as I think we might be a bit ahead of the US curve. My country is the Netherlands, about 17,2 million citizens (very dense 1100 people per square mile, comparable to Chicago). First Coronavirus patient was on the 27th of February. 10.866 cases, 3.483 hospitalized (total, some home again), 771 deaths , average age of people dying is around 80 years old, but we have also young people on the IC, I think the youngest is 16.
We don't get accurate figures of how many are cured again, as people don't have to report back. Today it jumped from 6 to 253 cured people, most likely people who were hospitalized, I guess.
We had about 2-3 days of hoarding toilet paper and other stuff, and then we basically stopped (and with that we are non-hoarding champions in Europe, I read :P )

Our measures have been in place for 2,5 weeks, since 12th of March: working from home, schools closed a few days later, social distancing, only necessary trips, no big events. Last week measures got stricter with no groups over 3, options for mayors to close down areas like markets or parks, beaches etc. fines etc. Hospitals are working together and patients are spread over the different hospitals to make sure the hospitals in the hotspot are not getting overloaded. The first hotspot, where it all started for us, is actually seeing a decrease, but there are new hotspots developing. Not everyone gets tested, your GP has to refer you. Hospital staff gets tested more and quicker.

The experts are now carefully optimistic, they see that the curve has flattened a bit. They can see that the increase in new cases slows down. There are still new cases every day, but less than expected without measures. It is still too early to draw any real conclusions. In the next few days we will see if we continue with these measures or if they will get stricter. My guess is it will stay like this. I read the mayor in one of the hotspot cities said that he expects the measures to continue for at least another month.
We still have enough beds in the IC, and there are more ventilators coming.
The experts think the peak is going to be late April now. With that we would be following the same pattern as Wuhan, where about 2 months where after the lockdowns life slowly will start to get back to normal.

To get back to my own message. Today a new press conference. Compliments for the country to follow the rules, this weekend most people stayed at home. Next weekend will be tricky as the weather is going to be gorgeous.

We are going to continue with a targeted lockdown for the next 4 weeks, til April 28. No new measures. In about 3 weeks we will get an update on where we go from there. April 28 also marks for many schools the start of our 2-week Spring Break, and we are encouraged not to make plans for those vacation weeks. IF we can go back to normal in 4 weeks, it will go step by step and not everything back in place at once.

According to our PM we are not at the end of the beginning. Still cautious, but there are optimistic signs.
He called it the most severe crisis we have experienced except wartime.

I do believe schools here will get back in session before the summer, but I think the main focus will be to see how much children have studied in the past weeks during our lock down. And based on that those children who weren't able to keep up (sometimes parents cannot help, some don't have the equipment to study from home), will get some form of summer school to make sure that in September when the new school year starts everyone is on the same level.

So, I do believe that we as 'the Netherlands' will be able to travel again in the Summer, however, being able to travel abroad will depend on the countries we want to travel to. I think Asia might be possible and certain European countries, like the Nordics, Germany etc. But Italy, France, Spain... I'm not putting my money on those.

I think maybe the WBTA might be an option as that is in October. Maybe it could start from Amsterdam and skip the UK ports.

Last edited:
And by the way, DCL, rumor has it, is also looking at Galveston as another port for the Wonder to sail out during the summer. Again, cannot confirm, these plans as they are only rumors.
They'd have to make it through the Panama Canal again, which can't be done without confirmation of no COVID Carriers. Maybe they can get some more time out of San Diego and the Baja Region.

If they can't get Galveston, maybe some more trips from New Orleans, or even Mobile, AL. Both are underserved ports during the summer months.

Last edited:
They'd have to make it through the Panama Canal again, which can't be done without confirmation of no COVID Carriers. Maybe they can get some more time out of San Diego and the Baja Region.

If they can't get Galveston, maybe some more trips from New Orleans, or even Mobile, AL. Both are underserved ports during the summer months.

The Panama Canal let the 2 cruise ships with confirmed Coronavirus cases thru last night as a humanitarian effort, so it can be done.

Have to imagine they'd have a very difficult time filling up brand new itineraries at the last minute like that unless they offered that at steep discounts. I imagine the number of people that booked Alaska on the Wonder for what it costs that would be happy going to Cozumel out of Galveston are not very high

So, I do believe that we as 'the Netherlands' will be able to travel again in the Summer, however, being able to travel abroad will depend on the countries we want to travel to. I think Asia might be possible and certain European countries, like the Nordics, Germany etc. But Italy, France, Spain... I'm not putting my money on those.

I think maybe the WBTA might be an option as that is in October. Maybe it could start from Amsterdam and skip the UK ports.
I highly doubt they'll allow Americans into The Netherlands (or Schengen) by October, as I feel like there is a lot still going to happen there. And I also don't think Disney can make a profit with European cruises without Americans on board

Question: has anyone had an experience rebooking to a cruise that was less expensive than your original one with the "100%" credit (not currently eligible for 125% or a refund, but thinking of rebooking anyway if DCL does not cancel because I don't want to miss out on our onboard booking date)? Do you get refunded the difference, or did it get converted to cruise credit?

Question: has anyone had an experience rebooking to a cruise that was less expensive than your original one with the "100%" credit (not currently eligible for 125% or a refund, but thinking of rebooking anyway if DCL does not cancel because I don't want to miss out on our onboard booking date)? Do you get refunded the difference, or did it get converted to cruise credit?

There have been so many policy changes lately but I think any overage is converted to onboard credit. Hope someone else can verify. At least that was what DCL was doing for other cruises that were booked and had extra leftover.

MJ

Have to imagine they'd have a very difficult time filling up brand new itineraries at the last minute like that unless they offered that at steep discounts. I imagine the number of people that booked Alaska on the Wonder for what it costs that would be happy going to Cozumel out of Galveston are not very high

Yeah I mean, I would do it but I’d r
There have been so many policy changes lately but I think any overage is converted to onboard credit. Hope someone else can verify. At least that was what DCL was doing for other cruises that were booked and had extra leftover.

MJ

That’s what they’re doing. Unfortunately I have Alaska and if I do something else, I don’t even know how I’ll spend that OBC.

That’s what they’re doing. Unfortunately I have Alaska and if I do something else, I don’t even know how I’ll spend that OBC.

Crumbs, thanks for the quick replies. I guess that means we'll all be paying some visits to the Spa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!