Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Waiting on our June Alaska cruise, also.

Chances of it going are pretty much ZERO as Canada is closed.

Not sure why Disney hasn't announced anything yet.

Im 100% in agreement with the folks that are angry that DCL has dragged their feet. Namely because it impacts our ability to mitigate our own risk (to port excursions, hotels and airlines) that the COVID-19 crisis brings.

That being said, I strongly suspect DCL is waiting - because they want to have alternative itineraries announced for both the Magic and the Wonder when they cancel the alaskan (impacted by the Canada ban) and mediterranean cruises. Researching and setting up these alternate cruise itineraries will take some time....

Its frustrating. Like I said above, I feel I need to mitigate my own risk, while DCL drags its feet....but I don't see DCL making the announcement until they have the alternatives in place.

I get that DCL is trying to mitigate its loses. However, what is the chance that even if they could have alternative itineraries, why would anyone would want to take the chance that they could either be denied entry at the new port, or even be allowed back into the US without an on-board quarantine. At this point I just want to cancel my Jun 1 Alaska cruise.

Agree with all above-we are not going to Italy/Greece. Italy may or may not be ready by June. Greece probably not. We have our own issues here in the states that will prevent us from going there. I am ready for my refund. But until Disney figures out where the Magic, and the Wonder for that matter, will be sailing by mid-summer, we will not have an opportunity for refund. Only the cancel offer.

Hawaii on April 29 and May 8 looks to be a complete non-starter as of now. Between Vancouver being shut, now this...

Starting March 26, 2020, and in effect until May 20, 2020, any arrival in Hawaii, other than certain emergency and critical infrastructure personnel, must undergo a mandatory, 14-day self-quarantine upon arrival to the state.

That being said, I strongly suspect DCL is waiting - because they want to have alternative itineraries announced for both the Magic and the Wonder when they cancel the alaskan (impacted by the Canada ban) and mediterranean cruises. Researching and setting up these alternate cruise itineraries will take some time....

I think this is probably why no confirmation of canceled cruises yet. But I also think that trying to predict where it will be ok to cruise in this new "whack a mole" world is near impossible.

I think it's likely they will just announce cancellations a week or two at a time for multiple reasons.

1. The aforementioned port closures limiting their ability to know where they can re-route to.
2. Every round of cancellations will bring another wave of people blowing up their phone and email wanting to cancel or reschedule. Fro ma practical standpoint, you don't want people who have a cruise in a week or two not being able to get through because people cruising in May and June have tied up the CSR's.
3. Every round of cancellations also is another round of refunds that they have to come up with the money for.
4. If they cancel till June, then this thing falls on it's face and restrictions start getting eased In late April/Early May, they can't just come out and say the cruise is back on. I agree that's unlikely at this point, but a few weeks ago the complete shutdown of the cruise industry would have seemed impossible.

I know it sucks for people wanting to cancel or move their cruise, but I don't see them blanket announcing a long layoff.

Unless I've missed it, DCL seem to be the only major line that hasn't started debarking their crew.
I don't know what that means though.
If they're planning on sailing again soon so dont want to have to deal with crew and flights and countries in lockdown?
If they just want to keep their crew safe (which from my experience working for them would definitely be a PR thing rather than genuinely caring about their crew)?
Or, other cruise lines are just more realistic?

Travel advisories, closed borders, and lack of flights make it impossible for many crew to actually get home right now. Some crew from other ships are being debarked but then stranded in the airports. Those could be contributing factors. I don’t know for sure.

This is going to be a nightmare for them to get the crew back too assuming they get them home in the first place. First, you have to be able to get flights to somewhere that allows them (US does not from Europe, etc). Then you have to quarantine all of them for a couple weeks to be sure they are spreading the disease.

This is why I felt my cruise on March 14th that got cancelled would have been safer than near future cruises. Annoying.

With FL indefinitely requiring airline travelers from the tristate area to quarantine for 14 days, I’d imagine it’s not economical either.

Royal Caribbean just extended their cancellations another 30 days.
Royal Caribbean just extended their cancellations another 30 days.
Another 30 days on top of their previous round of cancellations puts them at 5/11. I assume DCL will make their announcement soon as well. That means my cruise won’t be happening but I’ve prepared myself...all of that planning down the drain. >:( I really don't know when I'll cruise again but I would prefer to wait until there is a vaccine available. The cruise credit will be tempting but I think I'll just take the refund at this point.

Here is the press release from Royal:
At Royal Caribbean International, the safety and well-being of our guests and crew are always our top priorities. On March 13th, we made the decision to voluntarily suspend our sailings departing from US ports, and later on March 14th we decided to also suspend operations for the remainder of our sailings worldwide. Today, March 24th, we have decided to extend our voluntary suspension until May 11th, 2020. Our goal is to resume operations for most of our ships on May 12th, 2020. Because of announced port closures, there are other itineraries we will be suspending.

• Ships sailing out of Singapore, and ships sailing through Canada have all been impacted differently due to port closures.
◦ Canadian ports will remain closed until July 1st, 2020.
◦ The Port of Singapore will remain closed through May 2020.
As a result of this change, we’re providing you with a 125% Future Cruise Credit to come back and sail with us by December 31st, 2021

Last edited:
I read online as of yesterday March 23, USVI is closing up in-bound travel travel, and the Bahamas are closing inbound international flights. If most of the Caribbean islands are buttoning up, I would imagine this is going to severely impact all cruises, not just DCL. We are just waiting for our cruise to be cancelled but hope its sooner rather than last minute. Ours is scheduled to depart 4/18, unless there’s a miracle my bet it isn’t happening.

Unless I've missed it, DCL seem to be the only major line that hasn't started debarking their crew.
I don't know what that means though.
If they're planning on sailing again soon so dont want to have to deal with crew and flights and countries in lockdown?
If they just want to keep their crew safe (which from my experience working for them would definitely be a PR thing rather than genuinely caring about their crew)?
Or, other cruise lines are just more realistic?
I read they debarked around 400 people from the Magic yesterday. Not sure if it's true and what it means

RCCL just extended their shutdown and shut down all Alaska cruises from Vancouver and Seattle until after July 1. 125% FCC, plus 125% credit for prepaid stuff. (DCL does not prepay shore excursions.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!