Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Off-topic but me too. Sooooo many home printer installs and walking people through how to log in remotely from their 15 year old Macs.

Oh man, that would make things so much harder! Most of our users have work issued mac notebooks (newer than 4 years old) and even the ones at the tail end of that are finding issues like not being able to use the virtual backgrounds in zoom (oh, the things that end up being super important....). We also were ahead of the curve and had purchased machines for those who were on desktops just in time; only one or two people ended up with beat up loaners. We do still have a few who want to know how to speed up their home networks though. ...Spend more money? :( It's very hard when both parents need to be on video meetings and the kids also trying to facetime with their piano teacher on the old family iPad. One of the first things we did was call Comcast and up our speed and that is just for my husband and I. His company doesn't even do video, just call ins and I still had mine blip out a couple times.

I want to hold on to hope that Monday is the very last day Carnival can push it off. SURELY they all want to put out some kind of notice before 4/1. We're within two weeks; surely your ducks are in a row for awhile longer by now!! My guess is they were waiting to see what they got from the stimulus package and are now having to accept the numbers.

The cruise lines just love to drag this thing out.

Let's see everyone in your family lose their job the same day with no known return date and no ability to get another job. The Unemployment office says you probably aren't eligible and won't be able to give you an answer for a few months. Then have every bank you have a loan with, your insurance companies, your electric company, your cable company, your cell phone company, and your credit card companies all start calling daily asking for the money you owe them and wanting to know when you are going to pay. How quick are you going to be to answer the phone and give them answers? This industry just got completely gutted. It's not as simple as just telling people what they are going to do.

Let's see everyone in your family lose their job the same day with no known return date and no ability to get another job. The Unemployment office says you probably aren't eligible and won't be able to give you an answer for a few months. Then have every bank you have a loan with, your insurance companies, your electric company, your cable company, your cell phone company, and your credit card companies all start calling daily asking for the money you owe them and wanting to know when you are going to pay. How quick are you going to be to answer the phone and give them answers? This industry just got completely gutted. It's not as simple as just telling people what they are going to do.
On the flip side, if you’ve been making GREAT money for the last few years, maybe you should have put some money aside for a rainy day.

Also if you happen to have someone else’s money and they’re in the same fix, (and I do know people who have had every adult in the household affected) it isn’t yours to keep.

On the flip side, if you’ve been making GREAT money for the last few years, maybe you should have put some money aside for a rainy day.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Also if you happen to have someone else’s money and they’re in the same fix, (and I do know people who have had every adult in the household affected) it isn’t yours to keep.

Well you used the banks money to buy that house and all that Toilet Paper. Banks are affected now too. Get on it and pay them.

This is a bad deal for everyone. They will eventually make this right as they can. A lot of people pitching a fit are talking about wanting to know when they can rebook their 125% credit, not they need that money to pay bills.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Well you used the banks money to buy that house and all that Toilet Paper. Banks are affected now too. Get on it and pay them.

This is a bad deal for everyone. They will eventually make this right as they can. A lot of people pitching a fit are talking about wanting to know when they can rebook their 125% credit, not they need that money to pay bills.

I saved up to pay for my cruise - after paying my bills.

You’ve made some sweeping assumptions about my finances and toilet roll situation - what that has to do with the fact that Disney should repay me for a service they cannot provide, I really don’t know 😂

I don’t want to profit by 25%, I just want the money back. Same as Disney take my money when I enter a park or order a meal. It’s just a business transaction nothing more. At the end of the day it’s my money and they should not be using it to prop up their business.

I saved up to pay for my cruise - after paying my bills.

You’ve made some sweeping assumptions about my finances and toilet roll situation - what that has to do with the fact that Disney should repay me for a service they cannot provide, I really don’t know 😂

I don’t want to profit by 25%, I just want the money back. Same as Disney take my money when I enter a park or order a meal. It’s just a business transaction nothing more. At the end of the day it’s my money and they should not be using it to prop up their business.

I've made no assumptions about your finances. "You" is used in a general sense. You, meaning you this time, jumped in to a conversation where someone was commenting on Disney taking their time. I tried to put it in terms that the average person can understand what they are going through. Apparently you are in an extraordinary position and don't relate to that. If you really think that they are sitting there waiting to make announcements so they can collect interest on it, or for some nefarious reason, you really are oblivious to what's going on right now. Their entire industry just collapsed. You don't make snap judgements in that situation. You'll get your money back. Apparently you were smart and saved money back for a rainy day, so you'll be ok. Because who books a Disney cruise if they are in bad financial shape right?

I've made no assumptions about your finances. "You" is used in a general sense. You, meaning you this time, jumped in to a conversation where someone was commenting on Disney taking their time. I tried to put it in terms that the average person can understand what they are going through. Apparently you are in an extraordinary position and don't relate to that. If you really think that they are sitting there waiting to make announcements so they can collect interest on it, or for some nefarious reason, you really are oblivious to what's going on right now. Their entire industry just collapsed. You don't make snap judgements in that situation. You'll get your money back. Apparently you were smart and saved money back for a rainy day, so you'll be ok. Because who books a Disney cruise if they are in bad financial shape right?
Unpleasant and completely uncalled for right now. This thread is over 100 pages long and I thought open to all. Be kind.

I think that DCL's slow response is understandable, but it's also understandable if it makes people uneasy. I had a tour operator declare bankruptcy once, taking my entire deposit down with it, and it was several thousand dollars that I never saw again for a trip to Alaska we never ended up taking. I'm not going to pretend the same thing couldn't happen to Disney. No company is immune in the current circumstances, and most insurance companies won't refund you for the default of a cruise line or tour provider unless you buy the insurance within a certain timeframe of your first deposit. Even though our cruise isn't until October, I'm starting to feel the itch to cancel now and get my money back while I still can. It might not be possible in August or September.

Unconfirmed, BUT apparently DCL is working on contingency plans for the Wonder and Magic for this summer. Wonder would remain in San Diego doing Mexican ports, Magic would stay in Miami doing Bahamian/West Caribbean/Mayan Riviera ports. Fantasy and Dream would resume their scheduled sailings.

Unconfirmed, BUT apparently DCL is working on contingency plans for the Wonder and Magic for this summer. Wonder would remain in San Diego doing Mexican ports, Magic would stay in Miami doing Bahamian/West Caribbean/Mayan Riviera ports. Fantasy and Dream would resume their scheduled sailings.
The Magic is sending CMs back home right now...wonder how they are going to get their crew back if they do revised itineraries.

Jill in CO

I think that DCL's slow response is understandable, but it's also understandable if it makes people uneasy. I had a tour operator declare bankruptcy once, taking my entire deposit down with it, and it was several thousand dollars that I never saw again for a trip to Alaska we never ended up taking. I'm not going to pretend the same thing couldn't happen to Disney. No company is immune in the current circumstances, and most insurance companies won't refund you for the default of a cruise line or tour provider unless you buy the insurance within a certain timeframe of your first deposit. Even though our cruise isn't until October, I'm starting to feel the itch to cancel now and get my money back while I still can. It might not be possible in August or September.

Did you pay with a credit card? Did you try to dispute it with them if so? Curious because I am in a similar situation now.

I think a lot of people, including myself, are wary with DCL because of their lack of communication and honesty. For example, even with the Vancouver and Seattle ports shut down, they are still claiming there has been no changes to the Alaska and Hawaii itineraries. It makes them come across as dishonest which makes people nervous when DCL is holding thousands and thousands of their hard earned money. I understand they have a lot going on but would personally feel better if they were more forthright and could give us some timeframes. Considering they are a billion dollar industry, I feel more for the cruisers that now find themselves in dire financial straits and would just like their money back considering DCL cannot possibly deliver on the cruises they paid for.

The Magic is sending CMs back home right now...wonder how they are going to get their crew back if they do revised itineraries.

Jill in CO

good question-these scenarios are assuming an extended idling of ships, very likely until end of May. Could get crew back/ships ready to sail in 2-3 weeks and salvage some of the summer sailings

If true, I am not sure if too many people who booked Alaska cruise on the Wonder or Med cruise on the Magic would be ok with that as it is a completely different sailing than what they signed up for. I hope DCL gives them the option to cancel and provide a refund.

If true, I am not sure if too many people who booked Alaska cruise on the Wonder or Med cruise on the Magic would be ok with that as it is a completely different sailing than what they signed up for. I hope DCL gives them the option to cancel and provide a refund.

This exactly. I’ve done Mexico. I have zero interest in ever going back. I saved a long time for specifically Alaska. Am not willing to put that money towards another Mexican cruise. I would want my money back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter