Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

We are on a wait and see place in regard to our Magic cruise in Europe this summer. PIF date isn't for another 2 months, I already bought cancel for any reason insurance (did that when I booked the cruise) and the flights and hotels were all booked with points, so we won't be out a ton of money if we have to cancel at this point. Things look iffy at best IMHO.

We are on a wait and see place in regard to our Magic cruise in Europe this summer. PIF date isn't for another 2 months, I already bought cancel for any reason insurance (did that when I booked the cruise) and the flights and hotels were all booked with points, so we won't be out a ton of money if we have to cancel at this point. Things look iffy at best IMHO.
What cruise are you on?

I was able to get the money back for my flights minus 300 each. I did call the insurance but was told unless the country is closed to Canadians by a travel advisory from our government, the cancellation fee is not covered. Right now, Italy has no advisory. Still glad I cancelled in time. Now waiting for my money to come back on my card. The news in Italy is just kind of breaking now. I had already paid everything off but will get it all back apart from the flight cancellation penalties. I didn't have cancel for any reason insurance. I think I would have gone but my daughter was adamant she wouldn't come.

I was able to get the money back for my flights minus 300 each. I did call the insurance but was told unless the country is closed to Canadians by a travel advisory from our government, the cancellation fee is not covered. Right now, Italy has no advisory. Still glad I cancelled in time. Now waiting for my money to come back on my card. The news in Italy is just kind of breaking now. I had already paid everything off but will get it all back apart from the flight cancellation penalties. I didn't have cancel for any reason insurance. I think I would have gone but my daughter was adamant she wouldn't come.

I think you were wise. $300 is a small price to pay.

I keep thinking back to the book “The Hot Zone” published in the 1990’s about Ebola and Marburg. It stressed that one of the reasons these viruses were not widespread was precisely because they are so deadly. If you are infected and become terribly ill you are not walking around and spreading the disease. With Covid-19 it seems 80% of those infected have mild or no symptoms, and it appears at least a portion of these people are infectious. This makes me think this virus could be very successful in spreading.
Even if the death rate is not as high as 2% if the virus becomes widespread the number of potential deaths as well as the burden on healthcare is very concerning. How many ICU beds do we have, how many ventilators, ECMO machines, healthcare personnel.
I have a European cruise out of Rome booked for September. Unless this burns out pretty quickly I will cancel, and gladly lose the cancellation fee on my flights. I am much more concerned about the global spread of a very virulent disease than a financial loss.

So even if we cancel the cruise before the 120 days for a full refund, then no hurry to cancel the air. We’ll wait and see if it hits a “no travel ban” or restriction as that will help chances of recouping all costs. Otherwise, like you, we’ll lose a penalty fee and since there’s no hurry on the air portion, may as well wait and see on it. Worst case scenario is we wait and still lose the penalty fees but by waiting, no harm no foul. The hotel we have booked can be cancelled up to 3 days prior to arrival with no penalty so we’re good there. I admit I don’t know why the rush to cancel the airfare? Granted we’re on American and booked a non refundable (as a refundable was more than 2x) so even taking a penalty hit is FAR cheaper than if we’d purchased a refundable fare.

We have a cruise out of England booked for September. We are planning a week in Paris and London on our own first. We don't have final payment until May but I am watching closely now. I am not so concerned about catching the virus as I am about a general disruption in ports and travel in and out of countries.

I'm on your cruise and while I am keeping an eye on whats happening, I'm not that worried to even think about cancelling the cruise.

I am from Ireland and I have a trip to LA and Disneyland California booked for June 2020, again I'm not cancelling that either.

Whats happening is Italy is extreme but its just in that area. The whole rest of Europe is not in lockdown, people are still travelling in Europe, in fact my country is still virus free.

Sometimes I thing there is a ******* between what is reported in American media and the reality of life in Europe.

I'm on your cruise and while I am keeping an eye on whats happening, I'm not that worried to even think about cancelling the cruise.

I am from Ireland and I have a trip to LA and Disneyland California booked for June 2020, again I'm not cancelling that either.

Whats happening is Italy is extreme but its just in that area. The whole rest of Europe is not in lockdown, people are still travelling in Europe, in fact my country is still virus free.

Sometimes I thing there is a ******* between what is reported in American media and the reality of life in Europe.

As long as people are still allowed to fly relatively freely around the world (as they are right now) COVID-19 seems inevitable in almost every country around the world. A country is virus free...until it isn't.

No reason to over react... My basic take is that Disney doesn't want to risk their ships in a hot zone anymore than you want to be in a hot zone.... Imagine how much the Diamond Princess and Holland Westerdam cost those two companies in real $ and negative press.

I don't see them taking any risk. Last thing the house of the Mouse wants is CNN running shots of the Magic and any negative press. If need be, they'll modify the itinerary (not ideal) or cancel the cruise.

It may all die down by Summer I think it would premature to cancel anything. It may be tacky to bring up discounts, but we could possibly see a lot of price cutting.

It may all die down by Summer I think it would premature to cancel anything. It may be tacky to bring up discounts, but we could possibly see a lot of price cutting.

exactly and I don't think its tacky to bring up discounts. Back in 2001 I was in New York during the terror attacks. I flew home to Ireland on September 15 2001. However I had an opportunity to return to New York in November 2001. I could only afford to return to New York due to the huge discounts offered by airlines as Europeans cancelled their flights due to the terror attacks.

No reason to over react... My basic take is that Disney doesn't want to risk their ships in a hot zone anymore than you want to be in a hot zone.... Imagine how much the Diamond Princess and Holland Westerdam cost those two companies in real $ and negative press.

I don't see them taking any risk. Last thing the house of the Mouse wants is CNN running shots of the Magic and any negative press. If need be, they'll modify the itinerary (not ideal) or cancel the cruise.
The latter may be easier. The problem isn't so much that there are cruises GOING to Italy, the problem is that Italian ports are ports of embarkation and disembarkation, so you would have to change those as well which would require massive rebooking of air for passengers, and while certainly it could be accomplished, it would be a large headache...

My mom just called she is going on a 2 week organized tour to Vietnam in a few weeks, together with a friend. The friend is getting scared and she wanted my opinion. If they cancel now, they will only get 500 euro each refunded. I told her to wait, if there will be a negative advice, you will get everything refunded.
If her friend decides to cancel, I told my mom she should still go, she's not getting any younger (69 now), and Vietnam is on her bucket list. She is in good health and in good condition.

Unless you have issues with your resistance than you have a good reason to cancel now, but otherwise, I really see no reason to cancel any kind of trip now.

exactly and I don't think its tacky to bring up discounts. Back in 2001 I was in New York during the terror attacks. I flew home to Ireland on September 15 2001. However I had an opportunity to return to New York in November 2001. I could only afford to return to New York due to the huge discounts offered by airlines as Europeans cancelled their flights due to the terror attacks.
I was in DC for 9/11 and we went to NY cheap around the holidays. We cancelled our Europe trip and will stay local this year. Just not worth the worry and we have flexible schedules.

The latter may be easier. The problem isn't so much that there are cruises GOING to Italy, the problem is that Italian ports are ports of embarkation and disembarkation, so you would have to change those as well which would require massive rebooking of air for passengers, and while certainly it could be accomplished, it would be a large headache...
If it becomes widespread than what? Do they cancel all cruises? That seems far fetched.

My mom just called she is going on a 2 week organized tour to Vietnam in a few weeks, together with a friend. The friend is getting scared and she wanted my opinion. If they cancel now, they will only get 500 euro each refunded. I told her to wait, if there will be a negative advice, you will get everything refunded.
If her friend decides to cancel, I told my mom she should still go, she's not getting any younger (69 now), and Vietnam is on her bucket list. She is in good health and in good condition.

Unless you have issues with your resistance than you have a good reason to cancel now, but otherwise, I really see no reason to cancel any kind of trip now.
I’ve been to Vietnam a few times and just stay clean and bottled water. Their hygiene in public is pretty bad, but a tour will be aware of the situation. I love the night markets and such, just be aware.

If it becomes widespread than what? Do they cancel all cruises? That seems far fetched.
Who knows... This event is somewhat unprecedented. I know we still have over a week until final payment. It will be interesting to see if there are a number of cancellations this week. Since this cruise (12 nt Greek Isles) has been sold out for some time, while you may expect some cancellations, I doubt you'd see too many. Will be interesting to see if a bunch of availability pops up this week...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter