Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

ok, for all those worried about your European cruises, have you actually checked out the map of Italy and looked at the distances and locations.

Right now its the north of Italy region, Lombardy and Vento areas, which are in lockdown. This area is near Milan.

HOWEVER

The Magic docks at Citvitavecchia and Livorno which are over 500km from the Lombardy region.

The Magic also calls at Genoa and La Spezia, which are approx 250 km from Lombardy.

Most likely the ports of Citvitavecchia and Livorno will remain unchanged, but depending on how things progress, they may cancel the ports of Genoa and La Spezia and switch to different ports.

Just for reference, this is the map of Italy lombardy.jpg

Who knows... This event is somewhat unprecedented. I know we still have over a week until final payment. It will be interesting to see if there are a number of cancellations this week. Since this cruise (12 nt Greek Isles) has been sold out for some time, while you may expect some cancellations, I doubt you'd see too many. Will be interesting to see if a bunch of availability pops up this week...
I would love to switch my 7 night Baltic to the 11 night if there’s a good discount, but that would involve changing my pto and that’s not an easy task.

ok, for all those worried about your European cruises, have you actually checked out the map of Italy and looked at the distances and locations.

Right now its the north of Italy region, Lombardy and Vento areas, which are in lockdown. This area is near Milan.

HOWEVER

The Magic docks at Citvitavecchia and Livorno which are over 500km from the Lombardy region.

The Magic also calls at Genoa and La Spezia, which are approx 250 km from Lombardy.

Most likely the ports of Citvitavecchia and Livorno will remain unchanged, but depending on how things progress, they may cancel the ports of Genoa and La Spezia and switch to different ports.

Just for reference, this is the map of Italy View attachment 476336
Yes, I'm Italian and I think they will cancel Genoa and la Spezia as patient 1 had a race in porto fino so they now have 139 cases under quarantine. That's very unfortunate as you will miss the best focaccia in the world. But if you are lucky they might stop in Sardinia and that would make it a truly perfect holiday 😉

Yes, I'm Italian and I think they will cancel Genoa and la Spezia as patient 1 had a race in porto fino so they now have 139 cases under quarantine. That's very unfortunate as you will miss the best focaccia in the world. But if you are lucky they might stop in Sardinia and that would make it a truly perfect holiday 😉

Im not on a Med cruise, I'm on a North Europe cruise in September, Dover, Amsterdam, Zebrugge and Le Harve. I just posted the info as many are worrying about the Med cruises.

While we’re getting geography lessons and critics come out of the wood work merely because folks want to air on the side of caution (whatever THEIR decision may be), I’ll remain hopeful that there will be a great improvement over the circumstances by summer. It’s okay to be cautiously optimistic but you can’t deny that which is realistic either. So it all goes back to....we can only wait and see.

So while it hasn’t guite travelled 564+km to the lower portion of Italy yet, it has traveled quite a distance from China. But...I don’t see that kindly mapped out as we may be literate enough to post on the disboards but perhaps not literate enough to understand geography and make rational decisions. *sigh*.

Oh well. Things here won’t make or break my decision, that’s for me and my family to decide as we’re the one paying for it. Just saying.

I don't think you can look at a map and think that it's been contained to those areas. It's spreading daily. Who knew about Iran and Italy just a few days ago? My planned trip would visit 6 different countries and there is no way to tell what the map is going to look at this summer. I'm watching because there's no reason for me to cancel right now, but I also realize that this thing is moving and spreading and we don't even know what's going to happen with airlines as well as ships. It's much easier if you're looking at a cruise out of PC, but I'm not.

I don't agree that all Americans don't know what's going on in the world, and just because I may disagree with someone here it's not because I'm uninformed or ignorant.

HOWEVER

And the distance between Wuhan, China and Lombardy, Italy is over 8,600km. So your point is?????

HOWEVER

While we’re getting geography lessons and critics come out of the wood work merely because folks want to air on the side of caution (whatever THEIR decision may be), I’ll remain hopeful that there will be a great improvement over the circumstances by summer. It’s okay to be cautiously optimistic but you can’t deny that which is realistic either. So it all goes back to....we can only wait and see.

So while it hasn’t guite travelled 564+km to the lower portion of Italy yet, it has traveled quite a distance from China. But...I don’t see that kindly mapped out as we may be literate enough to post on the disboards but perhaps not literate enough to understand geography and make rational decisions. *sigh*.

Oh well. Things here won’t make or break my decision, that’s for me and my family to decide as we’re the one paying for it. Just saying.
I don't think you can look at a map and think that it's been contained to those areas. It's spreading daily. Who knew about Iran and Italy just a few days ago? My planned trip would visit 6 different countries and there is no way to tell what the map is going to look at this summer. I'm watching because there's no reason for me to cancel right now, but I also realize that this thing is moving and spreading and we don't even know what's going to happen with airlines as well as ships. It's much easier if you're looking at a cruise out of PC, but I'm not.

I don't agree that all Americans don't know what's going on in the world, and just because I may disagree with someone here it's not because I'm uninformed or ignorant.
And the distance between Wuhan, China and Lombardy, Italy is over 8,600km. So your point is?????

Hey, everyone, I know this is all up in the air and scary, but can we please take a deep breath (yes, again) and try not to attack each other? Everyone is allowed their opinion, and I'm sure @BadPinkTink isn't trying to be critical of your choices but is just airing their opinion. You should of course do whatever is best for you and your family. Disagreeing doesn't mean disrespect and isn't an attack. There are a lot of places much closer to Wuhan that are still NOT in lockdown too while portions of Italy are. Fighting amongst ourselves isn't going to do anyone any good.

Who knows... This event is somewhat unprecedented. I know we still have over a week until final payment. It will be interesting to see if there are a number of cancellations this week. Since this cruise (12 nt Greek Isles) has been sold out for some time, while you may expect some cancellations, I doubt you'd see too many. Will be interesting to see if a bunch of availability pops up this week...
So... Interesting to see that up until today, everything on that cruise over the past few months has been "GTY" only. I just put in 2 pax for a Verandah, and there are now non-GTY categories available...

I'm on your cruise and while I am keeping an eye on whats happening, I'm not that worried to even think about cancelling the cruise.

I am from Ireland and I have a trip to LA and Disneyland California booked for June 2020, again I'm not cancelling that either.

Whats happening is Italy is extreme but its just in that area. The whole rest of Europe is not in lockdown, people are still travelling in Europe, in fact my country is still virus free.

Sometimes I thing there is a ******* between what is reported in American media and the reality of life in Europe.

I am traveling to Germany on Saturday for work so this virus isn't stopping me from traveling. We just got back from Disneyland and I came home with Norovirus thanks to the plane. I don't live in a bubble but we make educated, smart choices for our family.

However, September is a long time from now so who knows what things will be like then. Italy wasn't a concern 48 hours ago. A cruise including 4 countries leaves a lot of openings for trouble. Final payment isn't until May so we have time to decide. For my family this would not be a once in a lifetime trip so I am not sure it will be worth the risk to us when we can easily go another year.

A great vacation includes both the destination and being able to enjoy yourself. If we can't enjoy ourselves in Europe there are lots of great places to travel instead.

So, I’ve been reprimanded and dinged by the moderators for ”attacking others”. 20 points or something. Let me just say I’ve seen/read FAR worse than my earlier sarcasm about the maps, etc. Didn’t see it as “attacking” but moderators have opinions too....

Then please report them.

This was reported to the mods using that feature, and was responded to accordingly. If you disagree that you were engaging in a minor personal attack with your comment the next step would be contacting the webmasters directly to let them know.

You're right that we have to make a call on whether we feel it was personal or not. As you specifically made comments that let everyone know you meant someone in particular I felt I had to go with that. I am confident that any other mod would have known exactly whom you were referencing as well. Sarcasm is another option, and it also carries points. Again, if you see comments elsewhere you feel are out of line, the report option is always available to you as well as anyone else.

I'd rather not inundate this thread with a back and forth, so I am happy to continue talking about this if you'd like to send me a PM.

For me, it's not just a question of whether I believe that myself or a member of a family might get sick. I have a friend whose colleague is stuck in Lombardy right now because no one is being allowed in or out. I wouldn't want to be trapped somewhere, healthy or not, without the freedom to come back home, because a local government has established a lockdown, flights in and out of a country or region have been canceled, or a cruise ship decides to quarantine me. I have a work conference in a few weeks that I am considering canceling for just this reason, if the conference doesn't get canceled outright first.

Then please report them.

This was reported to the mods using that feature, and was responded to accordingly. If you disagree that you were engaging in a minor personal attack with your comment the next step would be contacting the webmasters directly to let them know.

You're right that we have to make a call on whether we feel it was personal or not. As you specifically made comments that let everyone know you meant someone in particular I felt I had to go with that. I am confident that any other mod would have known exactly whom you were referencing as well. Sarcasm is another option, and it also carries points. Again, if you see comments elsewhere you feel are out of line, the report option is always available to you as well as anyone else.

I'd rather not inundate this thread with a back and forth, so I am happy to continue talking about this if you'd like to send me a PM.
No worries. Reporting folks is not my style. I know how to live and let live and move right along. *I try hard to wear big girl pants EVERY day*. 8-)

For me, it's not just a question of whether I believe that myself or a member of a family might get sick. I have a friend whose colleague is stuck in Lombardy right now because no one is being allowed in or out. I wouldn't want to be trapped somewhere, healthy or not, without the freedom to come back home, because a local government has established a lockdown, flights in and out of a country or region have been canceled, or a cruise ship decides to quarantine me. I have a work conference in a few weeks that I am considering canceling for just this reason, if the conference doesn't get canceled outright first.

Yes, I think that the discussion is important because it's better to go in with your eyes open. Travel is wonderful and eye-opening, but it is also costly and it has the potential to become complicated for various reasons.

I wouldn't want to be stuck somewhere far from home, personally. But, of course, not everyone feels the same way. It's better to think about these things now when you have options, so you can at least plan for issues that may or may not pop up down the road. It's why I pay $$$ for travel insurance when my family goes abroad - I am so fortunate that I have never had to use it. Also I think this might be a wake up call for people who continue to travel without passports.

I mean I don't want to seem alarmist or anything. But to me the virus it's not just in northern Italy it's certainly in other parts of Europe. We see all these cases now because in italy they have started to test like a mad man. But let's be realistic for a minute and let's think about the man who infected 6 peaple in France and 5 people in his home town of Brighton. He flew to the UK with an easyjet flight, shall we really believe he didn't infect anyone on his flight? Or in Gatwick Airport? Or on the train back to Brighton? Or the Chinese lady who got the virus in London. She traveled by subway, she visited tourist areas she got a uber to go to the er. Did she really not infect anyone on her journey? Same with the Chinese people in Oxford. Me personally I don't think this is the case. So yeah, unfortunately I'm here, but if I wasn't I would probably re think my trip.

Just an insight of the British Government attitude towards this. More interested in keeping up the morale rather than containing the virus. This is fro the guardian.

"Shutting down movement within the UK is seen as counterproductive, according to the official plan being followed by the department. There is “a lack of scientific evidence on the impact of internal travel restrictions on transmission” and it concludes that “for these reasons, the working presumption will be that government will not impose any such restrictions” on travel in a pandemic situation.
Public gatherings are also unlikely to be restricted because there is “very limited evidence that restrictions on mass gatherings will have any significant effect on influenza virus transmission”. Crowded places “are an important indicator of ‘normality’ and may help maintain public morale during a pandemic”.

An Italian Physician and his wife are in the Canary Islands. They both tested positive. The hotel is in lockdown. He travelled from Northern Italy to Spain. Does anyone really believe his is the only case? Millions of People travel from all over the world every day and the virus is silently going with many of them. It's not being an alarmist. It is being a realistic.
The questions remain: Do you wish to be abroad and at the mercy of a foreign government's quarantine orders, or in a foreign hospital away from your family or friends? Each of us has to answer these personal questions and do what is best for ourselves and our families.

An Italian Physician and his wife are in the Canary Islands. They both tested positive. The hotel is in lockdown. He travelled from Northern Italy to Spain. Does anyone really believe his is the only case? Millions of People travel from all over the world every day and the virus is silently going with many of them. It's not being an alarmist. It is being a realistic.
The questions remain: Do you wish to be abroad and at the mercy of a foreign government's quarantine orders, or in a foreign hospital away from your family or friends? Each of us has to answer these personal questions and do what is best for ourselves and our families.
Five minutes ago I paid off my Baltic cruise in August. Unless DCL cancels I'm going.

My mom just called she is going on a 2 week organized tour to Vietnam in a few weeks, together with a friend. The friend is getting scared and she wanted my opinion. If they cancel now, they will only get 500 euro each refunded. I told her to wait, if there will be a negative advice, you will get everything refunded.
If her friend decides to cancel, I told my mom she should still go, she's not getting any younger (69 now), and Vietnam is on her bucket list. She is in good health and in good condition.

Unless you have issues with your resistance than you have a good reason to cancel now, but otherwise, I really see no reason to cancel any kind of trip now.
My Dad just flew back from a two week trip to Vietnam through Japan last week. I was not worried about Vietnam since he was in the southern part and any covid 19 has been up north near China. He flew through the airport in Japan two days after they let everyone off of the Diamond Princess who went to that airport to fly home. Out of a complete over abundance of caution we have not seen him since we leave next Thursday for the WBPC out of New Orleans. We will see him when we get back at the end of next month. Tell your Mom to have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter