Coronavirus

for masks I think you need n95 or better rated masks...but even a flimsy ineffective mask can work as a deterent to touching your mouth/nose.

as for the infected couple, from what news stations have been saying the male was wearing a mask the whole time (or close to it) as is pretty standard for tourists from japan if they aren't feeling well (probably most other asian countries too). they haven't mentioned if the female was/wasn't...at least not that I know of. they were reported to have been on maui prior to oahu as well (but no symptoms while there)

probably got about 7-10 more days to see if it spread to anyone else...but if the male tourist was wearing a mask then odds that it spread are probably fairly low...but not zero.

If more cases come thru HNL, I am not sure I would travel to Oahu. It is a small island, and once there, you might have a hard time getting home (like the cruise passengers).

We have plans to go in 21 days...While the COVID19 virus is definitely a concern, getting stuck on an island where supplies could run out and medical help filled to capacity and high costs to stay longer than planned worries me as much. I bet no one on that cruise thought/planned for that to happen either.

probably got about 7-10 more days to see if it spread to anyone else...but if the male tourist was wearing a mask then odds that it spread are probably fairly low...but not zero.

I've been watching (expecting) additional cases to pop up. When I contacted our VRBO owners about possibly cancelling trip the owner was rude "there is no coronavirus outbreak here, sorry no cancellations/delays" We did buy trip insurance but it doesn't cover cancellation of trip for outbreaks unless you actually get sick. Covers for illness, death, etc. etc. Never thought we'd need insurance for this when booking months ago.

My parents don't know I am going to San Diego/Mexico in two weeks. I have to tell them soon. They are going to freak.

We are planning a trip to Aulani in October (we can book in March). Me and my husband both have immune deficiencies and tend to get sick quicker than others when we travel (that doesn't stop us we just take precautions). We will be coming from Atlanta and enduring a 10 hr flight. With all of the international travels visiting Hawaii, are you concerned about the coronavirus?
We are planning a trip in August and are flying my MIL up from Florida to house sit for us. She has Non-Hodgkins and if there is anything going on, we won’t take a chance especially with flying her up. We’re going to book hotels and events for our trip and pay extra for trip insurance and the ability to cancel up until the day of our trip.

We’re also planning to visit our two sets of in-laws in Florida, with a trip to WDW, next Christmas. Southwest tickets haven’t gone on sale yet, and luckily its easy to make changes with them. Also, we can cancel/change our Disney part up to a month prior.

Given that the future is still iffy with the current CnV19 outbreak and potential for pandemic, we’re just taking a wait and see attitude for now. I wouldn’t choose to fly into a hotbed of illness if it were here- I’d change the WDW part of my trip and just visit the in-laws, maybe even put off that trip until later. And definitely won’t fly MIL anywhere.

I’ve been following this live update website since the beginning of the disease outbreak, and they update each day in the evenings. They breakdown the new cases by country, number of deaths, etc. Underneath that are important facts by day, since day one.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
On February 21, they include the following link to a CDC telebriefing, where this statement is made - I haven’t heard this in the general media, and thus, I am watching very carefully to see what happens over the next weeks.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid19-tremendous-public-health-threat-says-cdc-feb-21/
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0221-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19.mp3

Another good page to track is here:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html
I've been checking it from time-to-time as we have a cruise coming up in April. The reason I like the CDC page is because they are separating cases found "organically" in the US, from those of repatriated individuals (e.g.- Those evacuated from Wuhan, and those evacuated from the Diamond Princess). If those repatriated cases go up, it is not as concerning, as it is expected, and those individuals are in a controlled environment. It will be more concerning if we see the "out-in-the-wild" cases (the first table on that page) climbing (it has held at 14 cases for a good week now).

We are going to DW for two weeks next week, then Africa at the end of March and then aulani in May. Not planning on canceling anything. I’ll bring lots of hand wipes. We are in our 70s and healthy. Personally I don’t see any reason to change plans based on a virus if reasonable precautions are taken.

Its starting to look like my trip in October is in jeopardy. I was hoping that things would have calmed down by now.

if this virus is still a pandemic by october...a trip to hawaii will be the least of your worries...the likelyhood of this virus lasting that long at current levels of concern/spread/lethality don’t seem to be very likely (not impossible...but highly unlikely)

there is always a chance a new/worse virus will pop up or that this one will mutate into something worse...but that possibility exists every day for every virus everywhere...

if your trip is in october...not worth worrying about it unless covid 19 is still a pandemic in july/august.

if this virus is still a pandemic by october...a trip to hawaii will be the least of your worries...the likelyhood of this virus lasting that long at current levels of concern/spread/lethality don’t seem to be very likely (not impossible...but highly unlikely)

there is always a chance a new/worse virus will pop up or that this one will mutate into something worse...but that possibility exists every day for every virus everywhere...

if your trip is in october...not worth worrying about it unless covid 19 is still a pandemic in july/august.
I should also state that the virus has me worried about the economy. I hate to be one of those people that just climbs into a hole but I have a bad feeling about this virus. However I just watched a podcast with an infectious disease expert. That may be contributing to my current anxiety.

These are the sorts of situations where I think it makes sense to purchase Travel Insurance. Just read the language carefully to see if a situation like "we've decided it's not medically advisable to travel" is covered.
Travel insurance doesn't usually cover epidemics or pandemics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter