Costa Rica: Costa Rica Coast to Coast Meets Thread

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
Please post here if you would like to talk with anyone else who has signed up to travel to Costa Rica with ABD.

You can also share information/ask questions about the Costa Rica Coast to Coast ABD.

Please try and keep this thread on topic to discussion and questions about the Costa Rica ABD. Off topic posts will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
Sayhello

Roll Call:

Previous:
  • Dec 22 - 28, 2012 - tsgirl & family
  • Mar 16 - 22, 2013 - Gonecruisin' & DD "Chica" (24)
  • Mar 30 - Apr 5, 2013
    • - soldierbot, wife and daughter (7)
    • - emesmom & daughter (11)
  • Jun 8 - 14, 2013 - FishMom3, daughter (almost 10) & ?
  • Jul 6 - 12, 2013 - mmrunsdisney & ?
  • Mar 15 - 21, 2014
    • - Ron Nelson & family
    • - tracyz & family
  • Jul 12 - 18, 2014
    • - tchrrx & ??
    • - ragtopday & ??
  • Jul 19 - 25, 2014
    • - AZlady
    • - EDH Family & son (17)
  • Jan 31 - Feb 6, 2015
    • - RemembertheMagic98 & best friend
    • - RhiannonGator & husband
  • Feb 14 - 20, 2015 - Kbrush & DD (11)
  • Apr 4 - 10, 2015 - iujen94, DH, DS (8) & DS (11)
  • Jul 18 - 24, 2015 - hkeller27, husband & 2 "princesses" (10 & 8)
  • Mar 12 - 18, 2016 - Golden Rose, DH, DS (11), DD (5), her mom & her step-father
  • Mar 26 - Apr 1, 2016 - west&east (Karen), DH (Harv), DS (13 Aaron) & DD (16 Leah)

Last edited:
We are booked on the old itinerary this coming Christmas break. Anyone else?

I am ~this~ close to putting a deposit down for a ABD 2013 Costa Rica trip but can't decide when is the best time to go. It'll just be me and my 24 y/o DD. I want to avoid school vacation weeks & avoid rainy season.
When did you go to Costa Rica? When would you recommend booking a trip to Costa Rica?
We are thinking of arriving one day early and staying one day late. Has anyone ever done this?
I see an Adults only trip scheduled for 2014 but not 2013. Am I missing something or is this correct?
I'd love a link to your trip report if you have one.

Thx! I mean, Gracias! :hippie:

I am ~this~ close to putting a deposit down for a ABD 2013 Costa Rica trip but can't decide when is the best time to go. It'll just be me and my 24 y/o DD. I want to avoid school vacation weeks & avoid rainy season.
When did you go to Costa Rica? When would you recommend booking a trip to Costa Rica?
We are thinking of arriving one day early and staying one day late. Has anyone ever done this?
I see an Adults only trip scheduled for 2014 but not 2013. Am I missing something or is this correct?
I'd love a link to your trip report if you have one.

Thx! I mean, Gracias! :hippie:

Looks like it. They have only released the partial 2014 schedule, not the spring/summer dates yet.

My wife and I are bringing our 7 year old daughter to Costa Rica. We are booked on the Mar 30, 2013 trip. Our previous ABD trip was Italy and we loved the trip and the fantastic experience.:)

Myself and my 11y/o daughter will also be on the 3/30/13 trip to Costa Rica. This will be our 4th ABD trip, but our first one outside of the USA. Our local paper's travel section just had a big article on Costa Rica. It was very positive and so I am even more excited about the trip now. Look forward to meeting our fellow travelers !

My husband and I booked on the June 8 CR trip with our almost 10 yr old daughter - anyone else out there booked for that week?

our family is booked for March 15-21, 2014. has anyone already done this adventure? some of my extended family have voiced concerns about travelling to costa rica and reading some of the websites it seems the only place you really have to worry about is the airports, has anyone ever had issues in costa rica?

our family is booked for March 15-21, 2014. has anyone already done this adventure? some of my extended family have voiced concerns about travelling to costa rica and reading some of the websites it seems the only place you really have to worry about is the airports, has anyone ever had issues in costa rica?

I'm fairly easily intimidated, which I why I like to travel with a group, but I felt completely safe in Costa Rica. It's a beautiful country with friendly people and your guides will take good care of you. Have fun!

We'll be on the July 12-18, 2014 trip.

I'm fairly easily intimidated, which I why I like to travel with a group, but I felt completely safe in Costa Rica. It's a beautiful country with friendly people and your guides will take good care of you. Have fun!

Did you have any issues at the airport before or after the trip? reading alot of negative accounts of people being harrassed etc. i am looking at staying a day before and a day after so i won't have the guides with me.

Did you have any issues at the airport before or after the trip? reading alot of negative accounts of people being harrassed etc. i am looking at staying a day before and a day after so i won't have the guides with me.

No, not at all. Once we got through customs, we were whisked away by ABD, so we didn't spend much time at the airport after arriving. But we were dropped off early for departure and spent several hours there before our flight home and had no issues at all. It's been a few years since we took this trip though, so the situation could have changed. There are several people on the board who have been to CR recently who will hopefully chime in. We're the negative accounts referring to the San Jose or Liberia airport? When we took the trip we flew in and out of San Jose. The trip has changed since then.

Seeing the adapter/converter thread above made me wonder: Do I need to purchase anything like this for the Costa Rica trip? Also, are you able to use free wifi to stay in touch with family at home? Did you take a cell phone? What's the best plan to get for traveling out of country? Thanks!

Ron, our family is on this trip as well! I've been waiting to see if anyone else on our trip would show up on the DISboards! Hooray!!

Seeing the adapter/converter thread above made me wonder: Do I need to purchase anything like this for the Costa Rica trip? Also, are you able to use free wifi to stay in touch with family at home? Did you take a cell phone? What's the best plan to get for traveling out of country? Thanks!

Just got back from Costa Rica (planned our own trip). No need for converters, they use the two-prong outlets (so if you have a grounded three prong plug that won't work). The only things we brought to plug in were our iPhone/iPod chargers and that was no problem, at least where we stayed (in Arenal and Manuel Antonio, kind of Costa Rica 101 areas to visit).

I have an iPhone with Verizon, and brought my phone with me just to use my email on the wifi at the hotels. If you have an iPhone (or other cell phone)with AT&T, you can apparently buy a prepaid SIM card to use when you're in CR, but that wasn't my situation so I didn't look into that any further.

We flew in and out of SJO within the past two weeks, and didn't have anything I would call being "harassed" at all (not like when we've gone to Mexico for instance). Coming out of the airport, you see gobs of drivers (taxi, shuttle) and some have signs with your name on them. Look carefully. We had a reservation with Interbus and I never did see anyone standing with our names on a placard, but after some initial confusion we did finally connect to the person who was there to pick us up & my name was on his wipeboard. If you don't have a plan for how to get from the airport to your first hotel then you might feel overwhelmed since there are many trying to get your attention.

Orange taxis are the official ones in the airport area, so if all else fails you can get a ride on those. If I were you, I'd contact your hotel to find out what the fare should cost from the airport so that you have a good idea of what it will be ahead of time.

There was a man who ended up helping us out, and some people might consider him a hustler, but all he did was ask us if we needed anything and I said I was looking for Interbus and he pointed and told me which way to go. When I couldn't find it, I came across him again and said I couldn't find Interbus and he found one for me (they are white shuttle vans & not all of them say Interbus on the side). It ended up not being the right one, but it all got worked out since the official Interbus person who had my name on his board came and found me, and he moved people from another shuttle onto the one that we'd already boarded. We ended up giving the stranger who helped us out a dollar or two and he was happy.

We will be on that trip too!

Have you booked your flights yet? I keep checking - the times (and prices) seem a bit out of control!

We finally booked on Tuesday. They were the lowest prices that we've seen so far, and they've already gone back up. We are flying in a day early. We thought about staying extra at the end too, but it just wasn't in the budget this year.

We finally booked on Tuesday. They were the lowest prices that we've seen so far, and they've already gone back up. We are flying in a day early. We thought about staying extra at the end too, but it just wasn't in the budget this year.

I am looking at booking our first AbD Costa Rica...and was thinking of adding 1 day to the end. Looks like a nice beach near that resort. Any Thoughts?

I am looking at booking our first AbD Costa Rica...and was thinking of adding 1 day to the end. Looks like a nice beach near that resort. Any Thoughts?

It does look fantastic! When DH checked into it though, it was going to add about $800 onto our trip. We decided it wasn't worth it for one night. If you can swing the cost or get a better deal on it, then I would definitely do it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!