Costa Rica or Peru?

Theta

DIS Veteran
Which one would you recommend? We are all active so have no mobility concerns.

Also considering Galapagos during this time. If you were going to South America, would you go big and do this longer and more expensive trip?

Last edited:
Which one would you recommend for a group of 8 of us? We are all active so have no mobility concerns.

One family wants to do Galapagos during this time. If you were going to South America, would you go big and do this longer and more expensive trip?
We have done the ABD Peru and the Costa Rica trip. We loved them both. The Peru trip was the more difficult for some due to the elevation, but we had no problems at all with that.

The current version of the Galapagos/Amazon trip looks amazing. If we didn't already have things booked and in the hopper, we would jump on this. You can't go wrong on any of the three. If you go Galapagos, please do an updated trip report as there are not many for this trip. Go while you can!

We have done the ABD Peru and the Costa Rica trip. We loved them both. The Peru trip was the more difficult for some due to the elevation, but we had no problems at all with that.

The current version of the Galapagos/Amazon trip looks amazing. If we didn't already have things booked and in the hopper, we would jump on this. You can't go wrong on any of the three. If you go Galapagos, please do an updated trip report as there are not many for this trip. Go while you can!

Thanks for your comment! Is the north or south Galapagos trip better? I see there is a small price difference.

We didn't go with ABD (we prefer independent travel), but Peru is an absolutely beautiful country with so many diverse things to see. I would definitely choose there over Costa Rica.

I’ve been to both countries. And both are outstanding. I’d say for more physical activities go with costa rica (Zip lining, hiking, boating, snorkeling etc). . For nature and sights go with Peru and Galapagos (look for the Blue Booby).

. For machu picu don’t hesitate to take altitude sickness medicine. Altitude sickness can be very debilitating. And try guinea pig, Peru national dish. It’s an adventure.

We've been on both ABDs and they are very different. We LOVED the Peru trip. It had been a dream of mine since high school freshmen year Spanish to see Machu Picchu. It did not disappoint. The places ABD goes and stays were some of the best and Peruvian food is amazing. In fact I went back on my own a year later and spent more time traveling around the country and walking all the trails in Machu Picchu. I was one of the first to see it in the morning and one of the last to leave at sunset. I would love to go back again.

Costa Rica was great fun. They have changed the trip a bit since we went. I have lived in Costa Rica so I may have a different perspective. It is an active trip with one long day on a bus., I think. My daughter loved seeing the country through the eyes of tourist and being able to zip line and raft. My most memorable moment was in Tortuguero. We were out on a night hike. Everyone was looking down at the beach looking for turtles. It was pitch black, couldn't see the hand in front of your face. I was looking up at the stars. I can't describe it. No light pollution at all. I could see everything, millions and millions of stars and the milky way. It was incredible. Brings a tear to my eye thinking about it. :-)

Last edited:

Thank you all for your comments!

I am going to call today and book Peru!!
Glad to see another person joining the trip. My wife and I and our two daughters are scheduled to go on this trip. I pray that it makes but I fear it wont. I sounds like they are cancelling trips 60 days in advance. But, if they don't we will be there for all of the amazing sites. Should be fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter