Costa Rica transfer changes

Diane0977

Mouseketeer
Just wanted to give a head's up to anyone booked on the Costa Rica trip. The itinerary as it was when I booked had us taking a charter flight from San Jose to Cano Negron on Day 2, the wildlife refuge tour, and then coach transfer to Arenal that afternoon. Now, there is no charter flight, and rather a coach ride to Arenal and white water rafting on Day 2, and a coach ride to/from Cano Negro on Day 3. This is substantially more coach time than I was looking for on this trip. I just happened to notice this change when I looked at the itinerary that came in our box last week; it was never communicated to us.

We are pretty disappointed in this change. I consider bus time when choosing our adventures as our kids tend to get carsick. I did call to ask if what I was seeing was indicative of our itinerary for our trip, and I was assured it was. I do wonder if this change is in response to the charter flight accident several weeks ago, but I was told that the itinerary has been that way "for a while". Unfortunately, after waiting to speak to a supervisor for 20 minutes, I gave up on trying to provide my feedback. Interestingly...there is no monetary refund available for this itinerary change, although I am sure that ABD is saving $$...unfortunately, at the expense of the guests’ comfort.

I'm sure we'll still have a good time, but I am continuing to notice negative changes to the customer service/communication we have experienced since our first Adventure several years ago.

Last edited:
That kind of change would seriously irk me too. I'd call back and hold for a supervisor. Though after the plane crash over the holidays I might just feel safer in a motor coach on this trip. This does not by any means excuse ABD for making the change without property communicating it to travelers. Though I am sure they have a clause somewhere in the agreement that allows them to do this. Sigh.

Ugh you are right. this stinks! we are booked on the trip for next December and the limited coach time was why i chose it. My kids are ready to lose it after 2-3 hours and I can't imagine doing that so many days in a row. Now i am reconsidering whether we should do it. I had received an email about the schedule change but I don't recall them mentioning the travel logistics change. not cool ABD!

If I were you, I would also be disappointed.

This is the opposite of what happened on our Costa Rica trip with Tauck Bridges. They used to have the long bus ride into Tortuguero and a flight out, and our year in response to customer feedback, they changed it to a charter flight both ways, all at no additional cost to those of us who had signed up for the trip. When they do have on tour air, the pricing is displayed "$X, plus on tour air of $Y." I am pretty sure that if there were no on tour air, they would refund $Y. They have since changed the itinerary from what we did, but they consistently separate the specific amount for on tour flights.

I believe this is a response to the air craft crash that occurred Dec.31st with a Costa Rican aircraft carrying 9 Back Roads guests and two pilots. We were on a Dec. Tauck Bridges tour and were suppose to fly on a local carrier. Originally it was a two engine aircraft and at the last minute the company tried to substitute a single engine aircraft ( the same type as involved in the crash)and Tauck said NO. Storms and winds can pop up quickly and severely and it is believed that is what happened to the fatal craft. We bussed and it wasn't too bad. Very scenic and don't forget Costa Rica is about the same size as West Virginia. Tauck did refund monies to us for no plane ride. Looking back maybe God had his hand in our trip. Prayers to all who perished.

I believe this is a response to the air craft crash that occurred Dec.31st with a Costa Rican aircraft carrying 9 Back Roads guests and two pilots. We were on a Dec. Tauck Bridges tour and were suppose to fly on a local carrier. Originally it was a two engine aircraft and at the last minute the company tried to substitute a single engine aircraft ( the same type as involved in the crash)and Tauck said NO. Storms and winds can pop up quickly and severely and it is believed that is what happened to the fatal craft. We bussed and it wasn't too bad. Very scenic and don't forget Costa Rica is about the same size as West Virginia. Tauck did refund monies to us for no plane ride. Looking back maybe God had his hand in our trip. Prayers to all who perished.

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. On our ABD Costa Rica trip last April we flew on the same airline that crashed just a few weeks ago... it looked so similar to our plane in the news photos it gave me the chills. I would guess the change is in response to safety concerns, and I think it's a good choice. Our coach time in Costa Rica wasn't too bad, and ABD is good about breaking up the trips with stops along the way (which sometimes aren't listed in the itinerary).

I understand the response to the disaster a few weeks ago, if that is indeed what this was, but I still take issue with the complete lack of communication or reflection of the change in the price.

About a month ago, we were informed that the hanging bridges activity was replaced by the chocolate rainforest...not sure why they couldn’t follow the same procedure for this.

Interestingly...there is no monetary refund available for this itinerary change...

If you read the terms and conditions though, Disney is not required to compensate you for the change. They can make changes to any part of the itinerary at any time and they are not required to compensate the guests, even if the change would lower the price.

From the ABD Terms and conditions...

ITINERARY CHANGES AND CANCELLATION BY US:
We will make every reasonable effort to operate the vacations as advertised; however, we and tour operator reserve the right to curtail or modify the itinerary, or to substitute activities, hotels, meals or transportation as we deem necessary....None of these modifications or changes shall affect the vacation package price or entitle you to any credit or refund.

I had read somewhere that nature air was suspended from flying for now. It may be the only airline that does that route

If you read the terms and conditions though, Disney is not required to compensate you for the change. They can make changes to any part of the itinerary at any time and they are not required to compensate the guests, even if the change would lower the price.

We will make every reasonable effort to operate the vacations as advertised; however, we and tour operator reserve the right to curtail or modify the itinerary, or to substitute activities, hotels, meals or transportation as we deem necessary....None of these modifications or changes shall affect the vacation package price or entitle you to any credit or refund.

I think we all know that they have the legal right to do it and not issue a refund, but I think it is fair criticism of their policy, and their lack of customer-friendly policies, generally.

We received a $200.00 refund per person from Tauck after our flight was cancelled while we were in Costa Rica. ABD should check out what their competition is doing.......

Tauck lists the on-tour air as $145, so that refund was more than generous. :) And it's their policy for all trips to refund any savings to the customer.

Tauck's policy states:

We pledge to make every effort to operate all tours as advertised. We reserve the right to alter or curtail the itinerary, or substitute sightseeing, hotels, and/or conveyances as deemed necessary. Any savings realized by these changes will be refunded to you. Any resultant added expense will be covered by us.

Just because you can legally do something doesn't make it right. ABD not refunding the difference between the cost of airfare and bus transportation is a rip off in my opinion.

Just because they can do this does not make it right. It's just bad customer service.

OP I am sorry that you have to go through this. I would not be happy as my dd gets motion sickness as well and did experience it on one of our ABD tours on a long, windy bus ride up a hill in Corsica. It wasn't pleasant for anyone on the bus, especially my dd, the bus driver, the guides and everyone seated around her. So if it was a factor in your booking the trip I'd approach them about either refunding your deposit so that you can book with another tour operator or moving your deposit to another ABD.

We received a $200.00 refund per person from Tauck after our flight was cancelled while we were in Costa Rica. ABD should check out what their competition is doing.......

We did a tour (not Costa Rica) with Tauck. They changed a major element two weeks before our tour departed. They paid us cash on the tour to make up for the inconvenience. And in all fairness, it wasn't that large of an itinerary change. We had a very nice dinner with that cash during our on your own time.

We did an OYO Costa Rica trip this past spring. I wanted to chime in because you mentioned that your kids get car sick. I would definitely bring something to help with motion sickness. Roads in CR are bumpy and winding. San Jose to Arenal was particularly winding and bumpy (though at least it was all paved).

I feel your pain on being annoyed at this as well. There is very often a big difference between what one has the legal right to do and what is the right thing to do and I think we are seeing an example of that here.

I feel your pain on being annoyed at this as well. There is very often a big difference between what one has the legal right to do and what is the right thing to do and I think we are seeing an example of that here.

Yes, I agree. It sounds like it's a necessary change, but they should have communicated it better. Having done several ABDs, we have had a ton of itinerary changes along the way, and I wouldn't expect a monetary refund. That's just not ABD's style. BUT I will say, whenever there is a change they tend to add in other fun activities. For example, when we were in Costa Rica, the white water rafting wasn't available due to water levels, so we all took a rather boring and very hot float trip. It wasn't great... but they added on a visit to the animal sanctuary which the kids enjoyed and the guides bought drinks for all the adults later that night. It is sometimes a bit of a challenge for my anxious child who studies the itinerary and gets a little upset when things don't go as expected, but we have learned to trust that ABD puts together a good program in the end.

Just wanted to give a head's up to anyone booked on the Costa Rica trip. The itinerary as it was when I booked had us taking a charter flight from San Jose to Cano Negron on Day 2, the wildlife refuge tour, and then coach transfer to Arenal that afternoon. Now, there is no charter flight, and rather a coach ride to Arenal and white water rafting on Day 2, and a coach ride to/from Cano Negro on Day 3. This is substantially more coach time than I was looking for on this trip. I just happened to notice this change when I looked at the itinerary that came in our box last week; it was never communicated to us.

We are pretty disappointed in this change. I consider bus time when choosing our adventures as our kids tend to get carsick. I did call to ask if what I was seeing was indicative of our itinerary for our trip, and I was assured it was. I do wonder if this change is in response to the charter flight accident several weeks ago, but I was told that the itinerary has been that way "for a while". Unfortunately, after waiting to speak to a supervisor for 20 minutes, I gave up on trying to provide my feedback. Interestingly...there is no monetary refund available for this itinerary change, although I am sure that ABD is saving $$...unfortunately, at the expense of the guests’ comfort.

I'm sure we'll still have a good time, but I am continuing to notice negative changes to the customer service/communication we have experienced since our first Adventure several years ago.

My family is doing this ABD in March. So our box probably isn’t too far off. I’m all for safety. Just not looking forward to the coach.

I didn’t know how motion sick I got....until I was sitting in the middle of an ABD bus in Scotland :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

Guess I need to plan accordingly

My family is doing this ABD in March. So our box probably isn’t too far off. I’m all for safety. Just not looking forward to the coach.

I didn’t know how motion sick I got....until I was sitting in the middle of an ABD bus in Scotland :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

Guess I need to plan accordingly
OMG, I was part way across the Highlands when I realized I hadn't brought anything for car sickness! Thank goodness for Boots and Sea Bands!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!