Costco questions

Can you book a placeholder, book a cruise within that 24 month period, then transfer it to Costco within 30 days? Or do you need to name Costco as your TA when you book a placeholder? I'd prefer to book myself, then transfer. I've done it that way, but it was on a cruise where the placeholder benefits couldn't be used (over Thanksgiving). Thank you.

You need to transfer the placeholder to Costco within 30 days of initially booking the placeholder, not after you select the actual cruise date unless that is also done within the 30-day period. If Costco handled your current cruise, you can name Costco for the placeholder while onboard. Otherwise it must be transferred within 30 days. A firm date is not required to transfer the placeholder. Blackout dates will apply whether you name a TA or not.

Wait, don't you get the 2% in-store on anything you purchase no matter how you pay?

That's how I read the rules. You can't get points on the purchase of gift cards, but there's no mention of payment method.

Calculation of 2% Reward
*Reward is approximately 2% of pre-tax purchases of most merchandise purchased through: front-end registers and most ancillary business registers at Costco warehouses and Costco websites in both the U.S. and Canada by U.S. and Canadian residents. In the U.S., Rewards are not calculated: (i) on purchases of cigarettes or tobacco-related products, gasoline, Costco Cash Cards, postage stamps, alcoholic beverages in certain states (including Alabama, Connecticut, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, and Tennessee), and at food courts; (ii) on membership fees; (iii) on purchases not recorded through Costco's front-end registers and transactions done on or through websites not hosted by Costco even if accessed through Costco.com, including all business, consumer, and insurance services, the Online Photo Center, and the My Publisher website; (iv) on miscellaneous fees, deposits and taxes, including sales tax; (v) where prohibited by law or regulation; (vi) on purchases made by anyone other than the account's Primary or Primary Household Cardholder; and (vii) on certain other categories as determined at Costco's discretion, which may change without notice.

You need to transfer the placeholder to Costco within 30 days of initially booking the placeholder, not after you select the actual cruise date unless that is also done within the 30-day period. If Costco handled your current cruise, you can name Costco for the placeholder while onboard. Otherwise it must be transferred within 30 days. A firm date is not required to transfer the placeholder. Blackout dates will apply whether you name a TA or not.
Thank you so much. I'll name them as my TA.

I just called and they told me if the sailing is after Sept 1, 2017, you get the 2% on the whole cruise value that you paid. For those of you in Canada, paying in USD to the Canadian Costco, the person I spoke to said they will take the USD dollar value, convert it to Canadian and give you 2% on that amount.

Of course, unlike the cashback gift cards, this 2% goes on that check you get in Dec. for the year. Still, it will definitely pay for the Executive membership.

Also, don't forget, your rental car, if booked through Costco, will give you a 2% cashback.

It's 2% back LESS taxes and fees, including port fees. I recently made a payment to Costco for my cruise and the invoice I got after making the payment had everything different. It had my base cruise fare (less port fees, taxes etc) LESS than it was when I booked it months ago. The total amount is the same, but the broken down math is completely different. When I first booked, taxes and fees were the same for every passenger on my reservation. Now, it's different for half of the party, higher than before, and the base fare is less. I called to ask about it, and that's how I learned about the 2%. We could not figure out WHY my base fare is less than original booking. Costco insists they go by what DCL says, and I believe them. I'm sure they can't make any changes or deviate from what DCL says. The Costco agent even called DCL to try to figure it out and the conclusion was just, "that's just how it is." It makes zero sense to me. Normally, I wouldn't care, but as it was explained to me, the 2% Executive Member rebate is based on the base fare, what's showing up in my invoice now affects how much I'd get back, and it's significantly less that I'm getting back. I have no idea how to "fix it" so that the base fare is what it was when I booked the cruise. I'm so confused as to why the base fare for the 1st 2 passengers are lower than before now, the kids' are higher, and their taxes & fees are higher. It all comes out to the same TOTAL fare though.

That's how I read the rules. You can't get points on the purchase of gift cards, but there's no mention of payment method.

Calculation of 2% Reward
*Reward is approximately 2% of pre-tax purchases of most merchandise purchased through: front-end registers and most ancillary business registers at Costco warehouses and Costco websites in both the U.S. and Canada by U.S. and Canadian residents. In the U.S., Rewards are not calculated: (i) on purchases of cigarettes or tobacco-related products, gasoline, Costco Cash Cards, postage stamps, alcoholic beverages in certain states (including Alabama, Connecticut, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, and Tennessee), and at food courts; (ii) on membership fees; (iii) on purchases not recorded through Costco's front-end registers and transactions done on or through websites not hosted by Costco even if accessed through Costco.com, including all business, consumer, and insurance services, the Online Photo Center, and the My Publisher website; (iv) on miscellaneous fees, deposits and taxes, including sales tax; (v) where prohibited by law or regulation; (vi) on purchases made by anyone other than the account's Primary or Primary Household Cardholder; and (vii) on certain other categories as determined at Costco's discretion, which may change without notice.

I really wish Costco would provide a statement or a breakdown of rewards earned. Doesn't have to be mailed to me with the rewards certificate, but an online statement would be nice. I've never heard of Executive Member reward not qualifying based on payment type though.

It's 2% back LESS taxes and fees, including port fees. I recently made a payment to Costco for my cruise and the invoice I got after making the payment had everything different. It had my base cruise fare (less port fees, taxes etc) LESS than it was when I booked it months ago. The total amount is the same, but the broken down math is completely different. When I first booked, taxes and fees were the same for every passenger on my reservation. Now, it's different for half of the party, higher than before, and the base fare is less. I called to ask about it, and that's how I learned about the 2%. We could not figure out WHY my base fare is less than original booking. Costco insists they go by what DCL says, and I believe them. I'm sure they can't make any changes or deviate from what DCL says. The Costco agent even called DCL to try to figure it out and the conclusion was just, "that's just how it is." It makes zero sense to me. Normally, I wouldn't care, but as it was explained to me, the 2% Executive Member rebate is based on the base fare, what's showing up in my invoice now affects how much I'd get back, and it's significantly less that I'm getting back. I have no idea how to "fix it" so that the base fare is what it was when I booked the cruise. I'm so confused as to why the base fare for the 1st 2 passengers are lower than before now, the kids' are higher, and their taxes & fees are higher. It all comes out to the same TOTAL fare though.

Good point about the taxes. It's only on the base fare, but that's still a tidy sum.

Calculation of 2% Reward

Right. If you purchase a gift card, you don't get the cashback. But if you use a gift card to make a purchase, you should (assuming you would on that purchase by any other method), as payment method shouldn't make a difference.

Wait, don't you get the 2% in-store on anything you purchase no matter how you pay?

sorry yes I mis-typed... what I meant was that you won't miss out on your additional 1-2% back based on the credit card you use.

So as an executive member you'll get the 2% back on all purchases, but when you purchase with the gift card you miss out on the 1-2% your credit card will give you for your spend, but if you "cash" in the gift card and pay your checkout bill with a cash back or points card you'll get an additional 1-2% back.

Can you book a placeholder, book a cruise within that 24 month period, then transfer it to Costco within 30 days? Or do you need to name Costco as your TA when you book a placeholder? I'd prefer to book myself, then transfer. I've done it that way, but it was on a cruise where the placeholder benefits couldn't be used (over Thanksgiving). Thank you.

You can, you just need to contact Costco when its time to change to the new cruise date.

We booked our cruise this time through Costco. I see no difference so far in booking. We booked through Costco, and less than 24 hours later I was able to add my cruise information on the Disney cruise site. I set up my final payment in December and get to book excursions and whatever through the Disney website. It seemed easy. I guess we'll see later...LOL

I'm not sure if I understand the placeholder cruise - how it works and how/when to transfer to Costco to get another Costco cash card.

We booked this cruise with Costco. When onboard we would like to book a future cruise, but the dates we would be interested in would probably not be out yet. Does a placeholder lock in the discount and then you can transfer that % off discount to a cruise when the cruise dates you want are realesed?

If i read correctly earlier on the thread, I need to transfer within 30 days. Is that on the placeholder we aren't really interested in or once we book the true cruise we plan to go on? If it is the placeholder, how does the discount transfer to the new cruise?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if I understand the placeholder cruise - how it works and how/when to transfer to Costco to get another Costco cash card.

We booked this cruise with Costco. When onboard we would like to book a future cruise, but the dates we would be interested in would probably not be out yet. Does a placeholder lock in the discount and then you can transfer that % off discount to a cruise when the cruise dates you want are realesed?

If i read correctly earlier on the thread, I need to transfer within 30 days. Is that on the placeholder we aren't really interested in or once we book the true cruise we plan to go on? If it is the placeholder, how does the discount transfer to the new cruise?

Thanks!

You book a date, any date.

Then within 30 days you have to transfer it to Costco. But if you booked with Costco then you dont have to do this.

When you see the date you want, you call Costco and have them change the cruise to that date. Your discounts stay the same.

Thanks!

You go to the future cruises desk on board, and ask to book a placeholder. You don't actually book any dates, unless you want to book a cruise that's already out. So it doesn't matter if the cruise you want hasn't been released yet, but the placeholder is only good for 24 months to the day that you book it, so you must use it/apply it towards a cruise within 24 months. Some will say 24 months +1 day, some not. YMMV You lock in the discount, but you do not lock in a cruise date unless you want to pick one that's already out. You put a deposit of $250 and they will give you a confirmation number. While you're booking, you can list Costco as your travel agent, but not if your current cruise is with another travel agent. If you booked your current cruise directly with DCL, then when you book your placeholder you can just list Costco as your TA. If not, then don't list any TA at all. When you get home, call Costco Travel and tell them you have a placeholder you'd like to transfer to them and they'll email you the paperwork to fill out and send back to them. You need to do the transfer within 30 days of the initial booking date. When the dates of the cruise you want gets released, you call Costco to have them apply your placeholder to the cruise you want. DCL confirmation # should stay the same. Costco will give you their own confirmation # to reference when you need to contact them for anything related to the cruise. Costco cannot and does not change anything DCL has set in place so all perks that DCL offers with that placeholder, blackout dates, etc stays the same. That's on DCL's end.

You go to the future cruises desk on board, and ask to book a placeholder. You don't actually book any dates, unless you want to book a cruise that's already out. So it doesn't matter if the cruise you want hasn't been released yet, but the placeholder is only good for 24 months to the day that you book it, so you must use it/apply it towards a cruise within 24 months. Some will say 24 months +1 day, some not. YMMV You lock in the discount, but you do not lock in a cruise date unless you want to pick one that's already out. You put a deposit of $250 and they will give you a confirmation number. While you're booking, you can list Costco as your travel agent, but not if your current cruise is with another travel agent. If you booked your current cruise directly with DCL, then when you book your placeholder you can just list Costco as your TA. If not, then don't list any TA at all. When you get home, call Costco Travel and tell them you have a placeholder you'd like to transfer to them and they'll email you the paperwork to fill out and send back to them. You need to do the transfer within 30 days of the initial booking date. When the dates of the cruise you want gets released, you call Costco to have them apply your placeholder to the cruise you want. DCL confirmation # should stay the same. Costco will give you their own confirmation # to reference when you need to contact them for anything related to the cruise. Costco cannot and does not change anything DCL has set in place so all perks that DCL offers with that placeholder, blackout dates, etc stays the same. That's on DCL's end.
Also, note that if Costco tells you that they have nothing booked for you because they can't book a placeholder, it's just that their system has nothing entered for you. However, the important thing will be if DCL has Costco listed as your TA on your account. If you're unsure, phone DCL and check. If they do, when you decide on a cruise, simply phone Costco and give them the res. number and they will book it.

I had initial confusion about this, as Costco kept telling me they couldn't book a placeholder, as it had no dates. But they took the paperwork and submitted it to DCL so they were listed as my TA on my account. When I went to book, it was all seamless. I gave my Costco rep the res. numbers and she booked it with no problems.

I just called and they told me if the sailing is after Sept 1, 2017, you get the 2% on the whole cruise value that you paid. For those of you in Canada, paying in USD to the Canadian Costco, the person I spoke to said they will take the USD dollar value, convert it to Canadian and give you 2% on that amount.

Of course, unlike the cashback gift cards, this 2% goes on that check you get in Dec. for the year. Still, it will definitely pay for the Executive membership.

Also, don't forget, your rental car, if booked through Costco, will give you a 2% cashback.
Thanks!

Very helpful, thanks! What if your current cruise is booked with another TA, but for your next cruise you want to use Costco, how do you do this with the placeholder?

Our next cruise is 8/20/18. It seems like I should upgrade right before the cruise (membership will renew in August anyway). I should come out about $120 ahead!

Very helpful, thanks! What if your current cruise is booked with another TA, but for your next cruise you want to use Costco, how do you do this with the placeholder?

If your current cruise is with a different TA, you simply make the OBB without naming a TA. Then when you get home, have it transferred to the TA you prefer (Costco).

Enjoy your cruise!

If your current cruise is with a different TA, you simply make the OBB without naming a TA. Then when you get home, have it transferred to the TA you prefer (Costco).

Enjoy your cruise!

This was not true a few months ago. I booked a placeholder OBB and switched my TA to Costco. I had book the cruise I was on with a different travel agent that I was not overly pleased with. It was no big deal. The CM asked me if I wanted the same TA, I said no I'm now using Costco and it was done. When I got home I had an e-mail that listed Costco as the travel agent and I have since booked a specific cruise with them. I did have to call to use the OBB - not through the website.

This was not true a few months ago. I booked a placeholder OBB and switched my TA to Costco. I had book the cruise I was on with a different travel agent that I was not overly pleased with. It was no big deal. The CM asked me if I wanted the same TA, I said no I'm now using Costco and it was done. When I got home I had an e-mail that listed Costco as the travel agent and I have since booked a specific cruise with them. I did have to call to use the OBB - not through the website.
And yet, when I made my placeholder in March, I was told the opposite. I had to list 'no TA' and transfer it to Costco myself. Maybe different CMs do it different ways. Glad to hear yours worked out, though. I had extra work to do on my own, but it was fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter