Could an American ask for help here to plan a trip to Dublin?

Deb in IA

Knows that KIDS are better
Hello to the UK DIS'ers!

We will be in Dublin for 3 days this summer, on our way back home after our Disney Eastbound Transatlantic cruise.

We will be there June 1 - 4, 2014, and are really looking forward to it!

Our family consists of me and DH, both in mid-50's, our DD Jennifer, who will be 23, and our DS Mark, who turns 19 on the cruise.

This trip is to celebrate Jennifer's graduation from college, and she really wants to visit Ireland. Several of her friends have been there.

I have our flights booked, but was wanted some recommendations for:

1. Places to stay (hotel)
2. Places to eat
3. Things to do

We would like a combination of stuff on our own and a guided tour or two.

Can anyone give me some recommendations?

THANKS so much! :goodvibes

Oh, thanks so much, irisheyes!!

We want to stay in the city. Do the hotel rooms there sleep 4?

It seems that many European hotel rooms only sleep 2, so we've had to get 2 rooms for our family when we've traveled there in the past.

Hi there, I'm not able to help with your questions but just wanted to say hi as I'm Jenifer and my younger brother is Mark!

Some hotels have family rooms some sleep 3 some sleep 4 if you want your family all in the one room you could look into that. The city is easy to walk around as it's not that big. They also have hop on/off tour buses that might be worth looking into.

Irisheyes123,
I see that you're from Dublin. Can you please PM me or respond to my post about Dublin. My daughter will be going to go to school at TCD next January and I need to find a place for her to live. I would appreciate knowing what areas she should avoid. I heard that it can be difficult for students to find housing.

Sorry to hijack your thread Deb.

Hi Deb and welcome (almost) to Dublin. Your choices of hotels will be very dependent on budget. But there are not many that will accommodate 4 adults in a room. It may be worth considering an apartment which can be got for about $300 per night. Oh yeah, Dublin is not cheap :rotfl2: Food wise, we have everything, all areas of the world are well represented but again, not cheap to eat here. A good area with lots of choice is Temple Bar which is in the City Centre. Be careful of hotels/apartments that say they are close to the City, they may be but our public transport isn't exactly of a high standard, and guess what, taxi's aren't cheap!! But it is a great place to visit and I'm sure you'll have a ball!!!

The most popular things to see are Guinness Storehouse, Jameson Distilltery, Trinity College (Book of Kells), national Gallery and Museums, there's more than enough to keep you going for 4 days!! Also have a look at visitdublin.com lots of info there. We also have the obligatory city pass card which may work well if you plan on visiting a lot of attractions, www.dublinpass.ie

If you like strolling around and smelling the roses, I'd also suggest Malahide Castle, Powerscourt House & Gardens. Dalkey and Howth are also lovely areas to take a stroll around.

If there's anything you'd like some help on, feel free to PM me or respond to this as I have subscribed to the thread.

Hi Deb and welcome (almost) to Dublin. Your choices of hotels will be very dependent on budget. But there are not many that will accommodate 4 adults in a room. It may be worth considering an apartment which can be got for about $300 per night. Oh yeah, Dublin is not cheap :rotfl2: Food wise, we have everything, all areas of the world are well represented but again, not cheap to eat here. A good area with lots of choice is Temple Bar which is in the City Centre. Be careful of hotels/apartments that say they are close to the City, they may be but our public transport isn't exactly of a high standard, and guess what, taxi's aren't cheap!! But it is a great place to visit and I'm sure you'll have a ball!!!

The most popular things to see are Guinness Storehouse, Jameson Distilltery, Trinity College (Book of Kells), national Gallery and Museums, there's more than enough to keep you going for 4 days!! Also have a look at visitdublin.com lots of info there. We also have the obligatory city pass card which may work well if you plan on visiting a lot of attractions, www.dublinpass.ie

If you like strolling around and smelling the roses, I'd also suggest Malahide Castle, Powerscourt House & Gardens. Dalkey and Howth are also lovely areas to take a stroll around.

If there's anything you'd like some help on, feel free to PM me or respond to this as I have subscribed to the thread.

Is Howth worth visiting this time of year? I'm going to Dublin in 2 weeks and was considering taking a morning/afternoon trip to Howth. I'm only there for a few days but thought it might be nice to see something outside Dublin.

Howth is a pretty little harbor village. There is a hill which gives some nice views of the the whole city. If you like fish there are some great restaurants. It'll probably be a bit cold still and this time of year (like most in Ireland) there's always a risk of rain. You can get the DART (commuter train) from the City Centre, takes about 30m and should cost about €5 or €6. This site will give you lots of info. http://www.howthismagic.com/

Enjoy the trip

Howth is a pretty little harbor village. There is a hill which gives some nice views of the the whole city. If you like fish there are some great restaurants. It'll probably be a bit cold still and this time of year (like most in Ireland) there's always a risk of rain. You can get the DART (commuter train) from the City Centre, takes about 30m and should cost about €5 or €6. This site will give you lots of info. http://www.howthismagic.com/

Enjoy the trip

Thank you! It's kind of funny that you said it might be cold. I'm leaving for Europe in a few days (Dublin is the end of the trip) and am looking forward to the weather. It hasn't started warming up here at all. It still feels like February.

OK, I'm back to this thread!!

The Dublin Pass is 15% off in April for 2-, 3-, and 6-day passes for online orders, so I think I will get the 3 day pass. I don't think it includes Trinity College/Book of Kells. Is there a charge for this?

Also, I took Woodview's advice and booked BEST WESTERN PLUS Academy Plaza Hotel, Findlater Place, off O'Connell Street. We have one double and 2 twin beds; I'm hoping that will work for the 4 of us.

I understand there will be some type of garden festival at that time? Can someone tell me more about this? And why is June 2 - 3 a bank holiday?

And finally, what is the best way to get from the airport to the Best Western? We will be coming in late, around 8:30 pm on Saturday, May 31.

THANKS!

To get to The Best Western from Dublin Airport..

Outside the Terminal building Take the Green Bus ( Route ) 747

This is the Express bus From Airport ..... Through the City Center.....Calling at Most of the City Hotels ... and on to Heuston Train station .

Cost is € 10 pp return I am not sure How this works with other Rambler tickets .

So Take the Green Double Decker 747 bus to O'Connell Street And ask the driver to stop outside the Best Western Hotel ( Yes there is a stop there )

This journey could take 30 to 40 min .& the same on return trip.

Why is it a bank Holiday ... well it is the 1st monday in June .

I think the Flower Festival is Bloom Flower Festival held in Phoenix Park

( A Short Bus Ride ( Free ? ) from Heuston Station .. Terminus of 747 )

Have a good trip .

There is an offer also on one of the sightseeing tours, Airport transfer and 2 day pass
http://citysightseeingdublin.ie/index5-specialoffers.html might be worth considering.

The bloom festival is here http://bloominthepark.com/ I've never been, flowers are not my thing :)

Trinity College (Book of Kells) is €9 per adult (goes up on 1st June to €10 :sad1:) http://www.tcd.ie/Library/bookofkells/plan-visit/

Have no idea why June bank holiday, but sshhh! we want to keep it

Ooh, that sounds like a good deal!
So, maybe I can combine that with the Dublin Pass (for the entrance fees)?

Ooh, that sounds like a good deal!
So, maybe I can combine that with the Dublin Pass (for the entrance fees)?

Yes, but on the Dublin Pass it might be worth a quick exercise to see what you are going to visit and compare individual costs. Most of the National Museums and Art Galleries are free, so if you plan to spend much time in those the pass may not be worth it. More than likely it will be but I'd hate you to go home feeling you hadn't got value from the pass (seen as I suggested it in the first place ;) )

Yes, but on the Dublin Pass it might be worth a quick exercise to see what you are going to visit and compare individual costs. Most of the National Museums and Art Galleries are free, so if you plan to spend much time in those the pass may not be worth it. More than likely it will be but I'd hate you to go home feeling you hadn't got value from the pass (seen as I suggested it in the first place ;) )

Great idea!

I'll go and tally up the things we want to see, and compare that to the cost of the pass.

I know we want to do the Guinness and Old Jameson tours, Dublinia, Trinity College/Book of Kells, James Joyce Center, and the Kilmainham Gaol.

Anything else you'd recommend?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter