Could an American ask for help here to plan a trip to Dublin?

OK, now how about suggestions for places to eat/drink?

I've heard to avoid the Temple Bar Pub - too tourist, crowded, and rowdy.

We generally like higher end, foodie-type places that the locals go to. And not far from the hotel or the bus line would be good too.

Thanks!

yes unfortunately Temple Bar has gone really down hill recently. Only heard in the last few days how bad it has got, definitely to be avoided at night.

If you like really high end, try Chapter One, absolutely brilliant, but you'll be lucky to get a table. http://www.chapteronerestaurant.com/ It's 6-7 minutes walk, top of Parnell Square

There's a very good authentic Chinese near you, called M&L, it's excellent. head towards the river, it's on Cathedral st, 5 min walk
http://www.mlchineserestaurant.com/

Then there's Shanahans on the Green, excellent. http://shanahans.ie/home.html

The Pig's Ear in Trinity College, heard it's very good, never been. http://www.thepigsear.com/

The Kilkenny Shop on Nassau St and The Avoce shop on Suffolk St both have very good restaurants, a bit lower down the price stakes, I suppose high end cafe, but good.
http://www.kilkennyshop.com/store-locations/ first one on the list
http://www.avoca.ie/home/explore/stores/?id=1

The Hairy Lemon on Stephen st, good pub good food. http://www.thehairylemon.ie/

Langkawi is a very good Malyasian but it's a bit far from you. But if you find yourself at that end of the city, go for it.
http://www.langkawi.ie/

If i think of any others I'll let you know.

All GOOD & Honest Information from ... pad406

Go and enjoy.

P.S. If you have a " Sportsperson " in your group & if you have Time

Ask about " The Croke Park " tour ... ( HQ. of The National Games

of Hurling & Gaelic Football )

Darn, I think I messed up.

I purchased the Dublin Pass today, taking advantage of their April offer of 15% off the 2-, 3-, and 6-day passes.

For the pickup, I indicated the Dublin Airport, but after the purchase was made, the webpage indicated that the airport offices were only open until 7 pm at night.

Our flight lands at 8:25 pm on May 31.

I e-mailed them back to ask if I can change the pick-up location, but have not heard back.

It is too late to get them mailed because they said that would take 21 days (and we leave in 17 days).

Any suggestions?

Oops, I'm sure it cannot be that un-common for this to happen. Perhaps they have an arrangement with some of the car-hire desks. In T1 there is a bar just beside the office so maybe they could leave them there. Not sure about T2, have only used that a few times and I can't remember. Or even better have them delivered to the Hotel, they'll surely hold them for you.

Oops, I'm sure it cannot be that un-common for this to happen. Perhaps they have an arrangement with some of the car-hire desks. In T1 there is a bar just beside the office so maybe they could leave them there. Not sure about T2, have only used that a few times and I can't remember. Or even better have them delivered to the Hotel, they'll surely hold them for you.

Oh, you Irish are so nice! :)

I received a lovely note from Leona Flynn from Dublin Pass office, and she assured me that it won't be a problem. Just print the receipt and bring it to the Suffolk street office to collect the passes from there.

Whew!!

Last minute question:

What is the weather going to be like in Dublin June 1 - 4?

Last minute question:

What is the weather going to be like in Dublin June 1 - 4?

How long is a piece of string??

Irish weather is unpredictable to say the least :rotfl2:

You should probably be in the low to mid 60s. Almost certain to be some showers :sad1:. Wouldn't be Ireland if there wasn't.

I use accuweather.com it's pretty good, particularly when your closer to the time.

Last thought, don't come to Ireland for the weather :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Oh I forgot to ask, what's the destination of your cruise? Hope it's Barcelona.Is a fantastic city, you'll love that.

Thanks, pad.

The weather has been so unusual here, I thought I would ask to see what was going on there.

Last few days were unusally cold - highs only around 50 - 52! Normal high for us this time of year is around 70. And lots of rain here too!

Yes, we are arriving in Barcelona on May 31. We had 3 days there last year, as we were on the 12-night Disney cruise to Greece and Turkey, so this time, we are flying right over to Dublin.

How long is a piece of string??

Irish weather is unpredictable to say the least :rotfl2:

You should probably be in the low to mid 60s. Almost certain to be some showers :sad1:. Wouldn't be Ireland if there wasn't.

I use accuweather.com it's pretty good, particularly when your closer to the time.

Last thought, don't come to Ireland for the weather :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

We are hardly Iowans! Acutally, we love cool wet weather!

You should be finishing up now. Pity the weather was so damp and miserable. Hope you enjoyed it despite that :thumbsup2

Huge thanks to pad406 and Woodview for all the wonderful advice!

We stayed at the Best Western off O'Connell Street at Findlater Place. Woodview, it was the perfect location - right at Stop #1 for the Hop On Hop Off and the Airlink bus! We were lucky to get a room with a double bed AND two single beds, so we did not need 2 rooms for our family of 4 adults!

We used the Dublin Pass and the Hop On Hop Off for our 3 days of touring. We slept in a bit our first day, and then had to pick up our passes, so the only thing we got done on Sunday was the Guinness tour, but it was definitely worth it! Our 19-year old son was able to legally enjoy his first pint of the dark stuff!

The Hop On Hop Off busses did not go up through Phoenix Park on Sunday and Monday, because of the Bloom Festival. Also, on Monday, they skipped a stop along Merrion Square, due to the women's mini-marathon.

Since Monday was a Bank Holiday, we went to Christ Church Cathedral, Dublinia, Kilmainham Gaol, and Old Jameson Distillery that day. DH was chosen as an official whiskey taster, and DS again enjoyed his shot of Jameson!

Tuesday was a museum day. We started at Trinity College and the Book of Kells and the Old Library, which was quite impressive and reminded us of Hogwarts! We then went to the National Gallery, the Little Museum, had lunch at O'Neill's, and then to St. Patrick's Cathedral. We got back on the Hop On Hop Off and was hoping to make it to the Dublin Writers Museum, but they were doing the Phoenix Park loop by then and we missed the museum by about 5 minutes - I didn't realize the last tour was at 16:15. We decided to transfer to the Docklands Tour and finished our day with that.

Other than the downpour on Tuesday night, we did not mind the weather at all! We had brought jeans and hoodies, and that was fine for us.

We came home yesterday. 20 hours total, door to door. Needless to say, we are a bit tired and jet lagged! But on the whole, we LOVED our time in Dublin! We were so impressed with the friendliness of the people, and were much more comfortable with the language than in other countries. We would love to return to get out of the city a bit to see the countryside.

Again, a BIG thanks for all the great advice here!

The commentary on the bus said she was there, but we didn't see her statue on the street.

The commentary on the bus said she was there, but we didn't see her statue on the street.

Hi Deb

Glad you had a good time and my country mates made you feel welcome :thumbsup2. Afraid you missed Molly, she's getting a refurb and being moved to make way for a cross city tram project that is currently underway.

Hi Deb

Glad you had a good time and my country mates made you feel welcome :thumbsup2. Afraid you missed Molly, she's getting a refurb and being moved to make way for a cross city tram project that is currently underway.

Oh, too bad. I think one of our bus drivers commented, not entirely in jest, that half of Dublin is being torn up right now . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!