• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Could someone tell me what's going on with the cost of rental cars?

Baseballmom40

Earning My Ears
My parents just went to Florida in February and I booked them a mid-size car at L&M Car Rental for $17.83 a day. I just went back to check what a compact would be for when we will be going and it was about $45 a day. It was only slightly less than that at Dollar. Does anyone know what's going on in Orlando in regard to rental cars? Thanks for any help.

This is a common complaint that I've seen and witnessed for myself. It seems to boil down to supply and demand. As per some news article accounts, because of the decreased tourism/business after 9/11, the rental car companies cut their fleets. Now that demand is back up, there is less of an inventory, therefore higher prices.

Check out the codes on mousesavers.com. Although I got a great rate with L&M, with codes I got a rate with Dollar that was only slightly higher than last year's for one of their minivans.

Good luck!

Sharon

Depends on when you're going. If you're headed down at Spring Break, the rates are higher. The strategy we use is to book the best we can fairly early to be sure we have a vehicle, then we check back often for specials. Sometimes we get a better deal!

mikesmom has the right idea. We do the same thing. I joined "Avis Preferred" and used a Costco discount #. For our trip in May, we reserved the car around December. For 8 days, we're getting a full-size,(Chevy Impala or similiar)for $205.97, which includes all of the surcharges/fees. This is a pretty good rate, but I thought I could do better, however, the prices just keep going up, so I'm pretty thankful about the price I got. Dollar was close, but they charge a $5.00 per day "additional driver" fee, which I feel is a joke. Hope this helps!!!

I have experienced the same thing. I made ressies back in August of last year for our upcoming August trip this year. Well I got a great rate of $357 at National Emerald Aisle for 12 days. When we were contemplating driving down, I considered canceling, but I'm glad I didn't because now that we are flying again the prices are sky high. Even with DC discount our same time period was almost $500.

zippehsmom

Rates always go up this time of year, as spring break and summer vacations approach. They will go down around late summer/early fall.

I am having the same problem for our short May trip. I only need a car for 3.5 days but the base rate is $140+ and I have checked every car rental at MCO. We only paid $90 in December for a 6 day rental with National. I think we will just be using Mears or a towncar for our short 4 night stay.

You generally pay more for any rental less than 5 days (which constitutes a week in car rental language).

try dollar, code mcc and see what happens....if no luck go to mousesavers.com and get to the rental cars section...usually one of the dollar codes is a good deal, you may have to try 6 or 7 codes and there can be a big difference...Ted

I was about to get a $99 base rate with code you suggested tednvon! Thank you for the advice. :D

I meant to say I was "able" to get a $99 base rate..... Not "about." Too early in the moring. The boards won't let me go back and edit my post for some reason???

The cheapest rate i came across is from Dollar. I am a disney club member and an emerald member. But the code from mousesavers saved me the most money, $174 for 10 days. That is also for Easter week. Good luck everyone!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter