Could the combination of Parks and Resorts with Consumer Goods be a good thing?

TheMaxRebo

DIS Veteran
As was discussed on the latest DISUnplugged show, the Disney Corporation announced a reorganization that puts Parks and Resorts together with Consumer Goods, all under Bob Chapek

The team discussed that they see this as a very bad thing as it will increase the level of consumerism associated with the parks. I definitely get that sentiment as now Bob Chapek's bonus is more directly tied to how well t-shirts sell, etc. ... but could there be some positives about this?

I see a big complaint being the lack of unique merchandise available at the parks - but could this change make things more integrated? That the merchandise will be more closely aligned with the parks and, yes, the parks might adjust based to what goods are to be sold - but could we also see the consumer goods be adjusted to what is being pushed in the parks?

There have been some patents filed about good people could buy that would then interact with different areas - such as within the parks (think the wands at the Wizarding World but to a higher level) - could we see more of this?

I get that I probably have a more positive view of things as I have not personally encountered any of the negative trends the team refers to (other than higher crowds and then things related to that) so perhaps I am able to be a bit more optimistic about things ... but generally with any change there are some negative, but also some positive aspects

It’s a possibility there could be more integration. I’m doubtful that happens though. I think we would have started to see more integration even before they were together with Chapek coming from consumer products.

I feel like there will be more events created to sell merchandise. I mean, people already complain about lining up to purchase special merchandise, just to have people buy 5 items in front of them (to sell on eBay, etc, later).

I feel like there will be more events created to sell merchandise. I mean, people already complain about lining up to purchase special merchandise, just to have people buy 5 items in front of them (to sell on eBay, etc, later).
I saw this first hand this morning at the AK AP event.

You may see more "Disney movie" merchandise in the park stores rather than specific "parks" merchandise (which I feel a lot of regular Disney visitors like because it is so unique).

Not a good thing.

I just don't see how it will be a good thing ... like Pete said .. probably will mean more nickel and diming (since that was the trend they were going) and "service" will suffer.

I think it's more a reflection of trends within the company. We may not see changes right away, but it's a sign of an evolution that's bothered me for a while. When you treat the parks like places to sell merchandise more and more, it reflects in the tone and quality of the attractions. It also leads Disney to search for more and more ways to get extra profits per guest. I have no issues with Disney making profits off my trip, but the end goal should be to earn revenues by providing a top-notch guest experience.

I agree with team. I can't see it being anything but bad for the in-park experience. It just makes think of this...

h33909D53

I don't know. They started out in innovative and fun merchandise in the Marketplace Co-OP kitchen home goods area and now it's just so blah. I wish they would do more Attraction merch. I would love a Tiki room/ Jungle cruise merch but they don't have a lot. More than they used to but still

I wonder if it will effect how much magic the cast members can give the littlest of guests. Since the sales of merch is now going to be watched even higher within the parks, I wonder if we will see a cut back on the replacing of stuff animals and bubble wands and any of the other small things that some of the Cast members do to try and make the whole experience magical to a family

I don't see a big issue with the combination. In terms of Disney being more aggressive selling merchandise in the parks, how much more upfront can they get???

They're basically one step away from selling merchandise on the attractions!! I actually think this could be a positive thing if more merchandise available has a greater variety from year to year (as has been previously pointed out).

The money grubbing and price hikes can occur regardless of where a division falls on the organizational chart. Also, if staffing continues to be cut, there really won't be anyone to harass you to buy more or up-sell anyway.

It’s probably a lot to do about nothing. Consumer Products was heavily integrated into the parks and resorts before the reorg, and will still be now.

Plus, the same people complaining about this are the same people carrying home a trove of trinkets in their luggage after every visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter