Covid Creativity

Bias binding is definitely the way to go but I have also finished quilts (especially if it's a hanging) with a binding cut on the straight of grain. There are some good online videos of how to do it or I can photocopy my little book of how to do corners and send it to you. I also have instructions for how to make your own bias tape if you need them.

You'll attach a pocket to the top (folded over fabric) stitched into the binding seam. Hand stitch the bottom of it once the binding is done. Get a simple dowel or fancy curtain rod to hang it with. I can send those pages also. If needed.

For me, it also depends on the " intent" of the quilt. If it would be a more "show" piece, I would definitely do a regular binding where I would sew the binding onto the front, then when wrapping around the front I would hand sew it into place. Honestly, it's how I do most of my quilts. It definitely takes longer, but I can do a " ladder stitch or invisible stitch" to hide the thread. I love sitting in my chair, tea on the side, tv remote and cuddling under the blanket while sewing on the binding. It's theraputic for me. And yes, you can machine sew both sides, I prefer the finished look of it when it's hand sewn on.

Also a little other thing I do, is a put a little label in the corner with the date, pattern name and a little prayer or saying on it. I love to personalize it - and I also journal and document each quilt I do in a little notebook - just for my reference. Noting pattern changes if needed, how the pattern worked etc etc etc.

I'm sitting here committing a deadly sin ... PRIDE (ok so 2, being rather SLOTH like too) I really like how this turned out. This is the description provided about the panel

In light of the recent traumatic events that have unfolded at former Residential Schools across Canada, Karen Erickson created 'Every Child Matters' out of reverence to those grieving. This painting depicts two siblings who were finally set free after being grimly discovered at a Residential School.

The children who are shown holding hands were torn apart from each other, but now reunited as they make their way back home. Karen included beautiful imagery such as a moon and feathers to represent the First Nations, Inuit and Metis people joining together to guide the two siblings home.

100% of the net proceeds from the sales of the panel from 'The Journey Home' will be donated to the Indian Residential School Survivors Society and the Orange Shirt Society.

It's especially fitting since they just
received confirmation that their son will have official Indian status.

Journey Home.jpg
I haven't made anything that comes close to a quilt before and while i had read that it was important to be sure that both the batting and the backing are larger than the front I definitely went overboard on the backing. A bit of searching on YouTube led to several videos on how to create a binding by wrapping the backing around the front so POOF that's what I did (somewhat sloppy and not quite large enough but it worked!) I've added some corners and tabs on the back so it can be hung up, just need to finish tacking them down by hand YUCK, my eyesight and fingers make this hard.

1655825454083.png

Good morning! My daughter had been working on a quilt (on and off) through covid. She completed the front but with classes shut down, never did go any futher. Then a colleague asked if my daughter had any quilts completed as she wanted one for a friend's baby. My daughter and I sat down to figure out how to quilt the front/middle/back together. The hardest part was figuring out how to clamp it all down on a small table to pin for quilting. I'm so glad we have youtube in our lives! :worship:

She's made a couple of quilts before (I believe I posted the huge Disney one before), but this is the first one she's done outside of the classroom AND sold.

Attachments

• 2022 - Duck on water quilt by Jaimie (sold) - front 1 (1).jpg
    2022 - Duck on water quilt by Jaimie (sold) - front 1 (1).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 2022 - Duck on water quilt by Jaimie (sold) - back 1.jpg
    2022 - Duck on water quilt by Jaimie (sold) - back 1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 2022 - Duck on water quilt by Jaimie (sold) - back 2.jpg
    2022 - Duck on water quilt by Jaimie (sold) - back 2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220123_143037.jpg
    20220123_143037.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220124_080618.jpg
    20220124_080618.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 2
That quilt is gorgeous and will be loved by the new family!
Thank you. I forgot to mention it's all 1 inch finished squares. Lots of working cutting out all those squares!

I use painters tape (doesn't leave any residue) to attach the layers to the floor when I put them together for basting. One layer at a time then I pull it all off when my sandwich is complete. My problem has become finding a floor surface clear enough to put the quilt down on.
We never though of the floor. In class they were teaching how to use binding clips to secure the layers to a table, but our table was about half the width of theirs. Youtube showed us how to centre all the layers of the quilt onto the table and move it around to pin each section.

So painters tape really doesn't leave any residue? No adhesive gets stuck to the fabric? The hardest part turned out to be marking straight lines to quilt on. Finding something that wouldn't leave a residue. Do you think the painters tape, in the smallest width we could find, would leave no residue if we put it on 1/4 of the quilt, sewed along the edge (not directly on it), then remove it once all the lines in that 1/4 of the quilt were sewn?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter