COVID

DaveyJonrd

Earning My Ears
so if someone tests positive obviously they shouldn’t travel. Does ABD refund the trip? If not, is this encouraging sick people to still
Go? What if you are making a connection in Europe and the last leg they decide you have a temperature? You can’t go on. What about your family? The trip? What happens?

Some trip insurance specifically covers Covid, including if any of your traveling party becomes sick or is quarantined. That would be your best bet.

Seems like trip insurance would cover Covid since it covers illness. Is Covid specifically carved out of coverage? I should have checked that before purchasing but it never occurred to me...

so if someone tests positive obviously they shouldn’t travel. Does ABD refund the trip? If not, is this encouraging sick people to still
Go? What if you are making a connection in Europe and the last leg they decide you have a temperature? You can’t go on. What about your family? The trip? What happens?
Normally, ABD will not refund the trip if you have to cancel due to illness, for either you or someone in your party. Whether that policy is changed due to COVID-19, I don't know, but I would find it unlikely, as they don't refund your trip for any other illness you might contract. It's hard to know what would happen if you got quarantined somewhere in Europe. ABD can't do anything about that, and it's unlikely whatever European country you were stuck in would let your family continue on without quarantining for a period of time. Or that the airline would let them on the plane, or your destination country would let them in the country without quarantining for a period of time.

I know we had a DISer who got quarantined, along with her young daughters, in China during the H1N1 epidemic, because someone within 3 rows of them had a fever when they arrived. ABD kept in contact with them, and helped arrange their accommodations and travel home after they were released, but they were unable to help them at all while they were quarantined. I don't know if ABD gave them any sort of monetary compensation at all. That's what trip insurance is for, and it's one of the risks you take traveling during a pandemic. Or, honestly, any time.

Seems like trip insurance would cover Covid since it covers illness. Is Covid specifically carved out of coverage? I should have checked that before purchasing but it never occurred to me...
I don't know the answer to that, either. I know most trip insurance doesn't cover "pandemics" (ie, you or the trip provider cancelling the trip due to the pandemic) but I would think if you specifically or someone in your group is actually *ill* with COVID-19, that that would be covered like any other illness. I'm curious to know what the actual answer to that is!

Sayhello

Last edited:

Be Aware or beware! ABD is not like dealing with the Parks or DCL. Once they have your money, it's theirs. No flexibility other than rebooking in the future for a fixed amount of time. Travel insurance companies are really pushing hard to 'stick to the letter of the contract'. Somethings concerning Covid 19 influences are not covered. Additionally most Travel Insurance firms have suspended the sale of 'Cancel For Any Reason' coverage.

I booked my first trip to Europe and ABD had a nice link up to another event. As things unraveled with different countries cancelling other events, I cancelled before making the final payment to ABD. Good thing I did, otherwise it would be thousands of $'s in their hands instead of a couple of hundred $'s in their hands. The events around ABD where unique opportunities, unlikely to be able repeat them.

Read the contract, understand that when they say no refund, it means no refund and if you are worried about the pandemic really do your homework on Travel Insurance coverage and truly understand what is covered when and why.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter