Crazy Alaska?

goodcat

Earning My Ears
I wanted to do a small boat cruise in Alaska Glacier bay. I am trying to get away from my hometown where Covid 19 is surging and give myself a sense of hope and optimism -- that we can actually live with the virus if we are careful and take precautions. Only 40 guests, airline company leaving every other seat vacant. Anyone think I am nuts to go?

I wanted to do a small boat cruise in Alaska Glacier bay. I am trying to get away from my hometown where Covid 19 is surging and give myself a sense of hope and optimism -- that we can actually live with the virus if we are careful and take precautions. Only 40 guests, airline company leaving every other seat vacant. Anyone think I am nuts to go?

I would find out about Alaska's quarantine rules ( if any ) first. I think you need a 72hr < negative test result now.

I'm at home most times, so no exposure and test negative. No quarantine if no symptoms or fever and have negative test within 3 days. I'm not worried about me -- I am worried about the crazies who won't wear a mask.

To be frank, if it is surging in your home town, your best bet is to stay home and help prevent the spread. I know you don't want to hear that. I know I'm stir crazy too.

^This. Stay home.
I am trying to get away from my hometown where Covid 19 is surging and give myself a sense of hope and optimism -- that we can actually live with the virus if we are careful and take precautions. Only 40 guests, airline company leaving every other seat vacant.

Okay, brutal truth? There is no living with the virus if we are careful and take precautions. There just isn't. It spreads too easily. Serious travel will not be safe until a decent vaccine is created... or if cases have remained zero for a few months (unlikely).

And only 40 guests? That's a lot of guests.

I'm at home most times, so no exposure and test negative. No quarantine if no symptoms or fever and have negative test within 3 days. I'm not worried about me -- I am worried about the crazies who won't wear a mask.

If you've been making good and sound decisions ( it seems you have been) than I suggest continuing to do so. Stay home ( in your town) for now, do not travel.

You said the word "cruise" so I say absolutely NO WAY should you go anywhere on a cruise to anywhere for any reason!!! I know this is not Carnival, but even they announced no full capacity until 2022. Stay home and stay safe, please!

I'm with the others. 40 is not a small enough group. And a cruise is too close of quarters. They are a Petri dish under the best of circumstances. It's too early. This is not yet the point in the Pandemic where people try to learn to live with it. It's still surging and getting worse and worse. Right now we're still trying to contain it. It's going to need to be way more contained before we get to a point where people can maybe think about learning to live with it. Do yourself and your family and your loved ones a favor and stay safe at home for now. Don't do any group travel until there's a vaccine or a viable treatment or at least it's contained.

Sayhello

Last edited:
What is your risk status? If you're over 60, or obese, or have heart problems/lung problems/asthma, then you should stay home. If you are low risk, then do your mental health a favor and go on the trip.

I think another consideration needs to be the people who live in Alaska. Most of the smaller ports have limited hospital spaces or no hospital at all. For example - Skagway, a very popular cruise ship destination, has no hospital...only a clinic with mainly outpatient care and very limited emergency services. Even a 72-hour test at the start of the cruise would not be 72 hours since test at each port. It would be horrible to see the virus introduced there from a cruise ship, even one with a few passengers.

Cases in Alaska are on the rise, mainly from “lower-risk” younger people.

As most others have said, this is not a good idea this summer..

Absolutely not, not during this worldwide pandemic.

A cruise, of 40 people especially, should not even be a thing right now.

Everyone is missing traveling but get creative. We have taken up hiking as a family and visit areas that are not a popular destination or mid-week when not as many people will be there. We have discovered some new, local, off the beaten path places nearby.

I would find out about Alaska's quarantine rules ( if any ) first. I think you need a 72hr < negative test result now.
You're supposed to provide a negative test taken within 72 hours of flying or take a test at the airport upon arrival, and then quarantine until the results are back. (There was recently a backlog for some travelers; results were taking quite a bit longer than expected.) And then take another test 7-14 days after arrival (and "minimize interactions" between arrival and receipt of second negative test results). Alternatively, travelers can quarantine for 14 days.

Did not sign up. Cruise was aborted 4 days after leaving dock due to Covid test for one passenger coming back positive. Person had neg test 5 days prior, but was required to take another one after landing. This virus is insidious -- unless we have a vaccine or a more rapid test, travel will be difficult. Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Did not sign up. Cruise was aborted 4 days after leaving dock due to Covid test for one passenger coming back positive. Person had neg test 5 days prior, but was required to take another one after landing. This virus is insidious -- unless we have a vaccine or a more rapid test, travel will be difficult. Thanks to everyone for your advice.

You made the right choice and dodged a bullet.

Agree that you made a great choice!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter