Crazy Deals on Used RVs Next Year or Year After?

RV sales were already on an ever increasing number even before covid 19. This is also reflected in how hard it was becoming to get campsites even in places outside WDW. I personally don't think it'll reflect that much with increased used RVs. Not any more than currently anyway.

Just my opinion.

The RV place down the street can't keep used or new ones in stock. After 9/11 there was a surge and that one seem to stick around.

Interesting..never thought about this as an option for vaca, but apparently it is very very popular during Covid..
Not a bad idea for those that are immunocompromised who are fearful of staying in a resort and or flying.
Actually, think it might be fun!

The Elkhart area in Northern Indiana was a ghost town from 2007 until at least 2011. It is definitely a cyclical business and I think the Covid buyers will not all stay in the game after they get a real taste of whats involved.

I'm also of the opinion that the current surge will not last very long. I don't believe the new buyers realize that it just might not be the plug n play they think it is. Not the same as checking into a hotel. There's a lot of work involved not to mention more cost. Depending on your rig maybe a lot more cost in maintenance, etc. Maybe a year before things settle down. Maybe two years until we see a glut in the used RV market.
Remains to be seen.

I figure we will see a surge of sales. As we get a hold of COVID and how to treat it and things reopen, people will begin to sell. The used market will fall out pretty quickly.

I'm also of the opinion that the current surge will not last very long. I don't believe the new buyers realize that it just might not be the plug n play they think it is. Not the same as checking into a hotel. There's a lot of work involved not to mention more cost. Depending on your rig maybe a lot more cost in maintenance, etc. Maybe a year before things settle down. Maybe two years until we see a glut in the used RV market.
Remains to be seen.

I tend to agree with your point of view on this. I think once the first year novelty wears off, they will be more inclined to stay in a hotel. If thehave their first big dilemma, AC goes out, propane runs out, blowout of a tire, having to replace batteries (because in a car they last forever).

I tend to agree with your point of view on this. I think once the first year novelty wears off, they will be more inclined to stay in a hotel. If thehave their first big dilemma, AC goes out, propane runs out, blowout of a tire, having to replace batteries (because in a car they last forever).

You also have #vanlife going on as well. I think, it's a fad with a lot of travel opportunities shutdown due to COVID-19.

Some people will stick with it even after learning it's not cheap. But I do expect many will want the ease of going to a hotel once COVID-19 is over, rather than maintaining and storing a RV.

Last edited:
With RV sales going through the roof, how many do you think will stick with it after the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted and travel returns to normal?

According to the sales of RV's in our area, I would say there would be lots of used RV's whenever things become safer - vaccine, or whatever. Dh & I have also been talking about this. One salesman here said 'newbies' are coming in and buying basically whatever is left on the lot. We see a scant supply, especially trailers, of most of the RV dealers/lots here - they were crammed for the new camping year before April. We have never seen sales like this, so our thinking is that many will not stick with it.

Sadly, a lot of families have no idea what they are getting into, as a pp mentioned, unless you love and are committed to the lifestyle, it's lots of work and expense. The work does tend to lessen with experience - we have very little with our mh - but the maintenance, ins. taxes, etc. remain. It's not exactly a 'low cost' way to travel. We have loved it for many years and haven't stayed in hotels for so long we wouldn't know how to act, lol - we must have our own private baths and beds.

Also, it's scary to us think of so many basically 'spur of the moment newbies' on the roads towing, and many not thinking/or aware of the dynamics between their tow vehicle and their trailers. Hope they learn before disasters.

According to the sales of RV's in our area, I would say there would be lots of used RV's whenever things become safer - vaccine, or whatever. Dh & I have also been talking about this. One salesman here said 'newbies' are coming in and buying basically whatever is left on the lot. We see a scant supply, especially trailers, of most of the RV dealers/lots here - they were crammed for the new camping year before April. We have never seen sales like this, so our thinking is that many will not stick with it.

Sadly, a lot of families have no idea what they are getting into, as a pp mentioned, unless you love and are committed to the lifestyle, it's lots of work and expense. The work does tend to lessen with experience - we have very little with our mh - but the maintenance, ins. taxes, etc. remain. It's not exactly a 'low cost' way to travel. We have loved it for many years and haven't stayed in hotels for so long we wouldn't know how to act, lol - we must have our own private baths and beds.

Also, it's scary to us think of so many basically 'spur of the moment newbies' on the roads towing, and many not thinking/or aware of the dynamics between their tow vehicle and their trailers. Hope they learn before disasters.

I'm reading reports of newbies in the National Parks not following LNT. Blows my mind. I'm heading up to Glacier next month, and I'm not looking forward to picking up after newbie hikers. We're mostly doing 10+ mile day hikes, so I don't expect to see many newbies on those hikes.

I expect there are going to be a lot of grumpy couples in campgrounds as they deal with their first RV experience. I remember my dad swearing like crazy when he had to crank up our pop-up after a long day of driving.

Wait until these newbies forget to properly empty the tanks in their RVs.

A buddy of mine just bought his first RV. We've been trying to talk him into it for awhile now. Their plan is to use it to visit children/grandchildren in Mobile AL from Maryland. They have another daughter in Maryland. I think they might relocate down here in our neighborhood. They bought a 4 Winds Class C to start. He wanted a Class A pusher, but couldn't get it into his current driveway so they started out with something smaller.

I think you will see some deals. Thats just becasue what im seeing while at camping, they will do it for now and resell at a loss. And they will not care one bit. Some will stick with it but not all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter