Credit Card Category for DVC Purchases?

gmi3804

Gonna ruin Maw’s birthday
DVC Silver
If I charge DVC direct sales to my credit card, how is the charge categorized by DVC? Is it considered travel-related? If anyone's charged their purchase, could you check how the charge was categorized? I'd like to charge a points purchase, and want to know which credit card to use, as one of my cards gives double points for travel/hotel purchases.

Depends on your card, the bank, and which Disney unit processes the charge. Sometimes it's travel related, sometimes it isn't. We upgraded the Chase Disney card to 2% for all of our Disney transactions including our dues payment.

:earsboy: Bill

If you have a Chase Disney Visa and charge DVC Direct you get 6 months ZERO interest. Plus 1%-2% rewards (regular or premium).

Depends on your card, the bank, and which Disney unit processes the charge. Sometimes it's travel related, sometimes it isn't. We upgraded the Chase Disney card to 2% for all of our Disney transactions including our dues payment.

Actually, it doesn't. The vendor will have set up the category that its charges are billed under, regardless of the card company or issuer.

I thought I'd ask in case someone here knew. I can get double Chase Ultimate Rewards points for travel or hotel charges. And no one at MS or DVC sales seems to know exactly which category its submissions are posted to. There seem to be different vendors for dues collection and DVC direct sales.

I think you need to consider other options for paying dues. You can buy discounted disney gift cards at stores, which allows you to get a discount through the gift card and points from buying at the store.

Actually, it doesn't. The vendor will have set up the category that its charges are billed under, regardless of the card company or issuer.

I thought I'd ask in case someone here knew. I can get double Chase Ultimate Rewards points for travel or hotel charges. And no one at MS or DVC sales seems to know exactly which category its submissions are posted to. There seem to be different vendors for dues collection and DVC direct sales.

I went and checked old credit card statements. When I bought direct in 2010, my Disney Chase just listed it under purchases. They never break down in categories on the monthly statements, so still don't know the answer. They may not do categories on Chase Disney Reward, as I don't believe there are any "bonus" categories. The Premier gives 2% on some, as others have mentioned. Good luck on finding the answer, but I doubt it will fall under travel/hotel.
As previously mentioned, Disney Chase will do 0% interest for 6 months. I know it is not the same as extra rewards.

I paid off my loan using my Amex Blue sky. They listed it as travel, and I was able to take the points earned off the payments and reapply back to the purchase as cash. Wow, that sounds convoluted... but I hope you know what I mean.

Paying off the loans through Disney count as travel on AMEX. (This was 3 years back, may have changed) I am not sure about full direct payment of the contract.

I think you need to consider other options for paying dues. You can buy discounted disney gift cards at stores, which allows you to get a discount through the gift card and points from buying at the store.

This isn't for dues. I'm planning my strategy for a Poly contract purchase. I pay statements in full, so I don't have to consider finance charges.

I went and checked old credit card statements. When I bought direct in 2010, my Disney Chase just listed it under purchases. They never break down in categories on the monthly statements, so still don't know the answer. They may not do categories on Chase Disney Reward, as I don't believe there are any "bonus" categories. The Premier gives 2% on some, as others have mentioned. Good luck on finding the answer, but I doubt it will fall under travel/hotel.
As previously mentioned, Disney Chase will do 0% interest for 6 months. I know it is not the same as extra rewards.

Thanks for checking!

At Chase, if you click on "activity" instead of "statements," the categories used will be displayed. But I'm not sure if it'll go all the way back to 2010.

I paid off my loan using my Amex Blue sky. They listed it as travel, and I was able to take the points earned off the payments and reapply back to the purchase as cash. Wow, that sounds convoluted... but I hope you know what I mean.

Paying off the loans through Disney count as travel on AMEX. (This was 3 years back, may have changed) I am not sure about full direct payment of the contract.

Again, no loan needed here, but I believe Disney services the loans, no? Is so, the "travel" category is good news.

The mystery is unraveling.

Don't know if this is true. We started using the Chase Disney card because when we paid our dues with Amex it was coded one way and when we paid with our Chase Visa, it was coded differently.

You want to determine the "mcc," Merchant Category Code. Theres a tool on the visa website, but you need to know the address to do a lookup. DVC Loans Servicing at 1390 Celebration Blvd is coded as 7012 - Travel Services. I can't find any other listings for DVC or DVD.
Visa.com/supplierlocator

I don't know about codes but we have used Chase Disney Visa for 2 direct down payments at BLT and 1 60 point total direct purchase at VGF. All 3 times we got all the rewards due with the purchases and used the 6 months 0%. It falls under "Special Promotions".

You want to determine the "mcc," Merchant Category Code. Theres a tool on the visa website, but you need to know the address to do a lookup. DVC Loans Servicing at 1390 Celebration Blvd is coded as 7012 - Travel Services. I can't find any other listings for DVC or DVD.
Visa.com/supplierlocator

This is probably the most accurate info. It sounds like it's most likely coded as Travel, which is good news for me.

Now if they'd only announce the Poly offering....

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to pay off my DVC loan with a Citicard at 0%. I'm assuming that this will be listed as a purchase, not a transfer-does that sound correct to anyone who has a Citicard? I don't want to pay transfer fees.

I'm not sure if this can be of any help, but I paid for my add-on contract in full last month. This is the information from my Citi credit card statement. I'm not sure if it will be the same if you're paying off your loan.

upload_2017-6-20_15-1-38.png

I used my Disney Visa to purchase a small add-on recently. Like D-Trick, it is DVC Escrow Payments, but I don't see any place to see the category. It maybe because I am still in the billing cycle.

Thanks so much for the info, D-Trick and ktmo. My annual dues were added to my SW card as a purchase, but I'm unsure about a loan payoff. I called member accounting this morning and was told to contact the credit card company for the answer. That surprised me a bit, I thought Disney accounting reported the category to the card company, but I guess the card company makes that decision. I don't really want to apply for the card before I have the answer. Hopefully Citi will answer the question before I get the card.

Every business that applies to accept credit cards is assigned a four-digit number by the credit card networks (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express) called a merchant category code, or MCC. The number denotes the type of business or service it is in. Merchant category codes are used by credit card networks to categorize, track or restrict certain types of purchases.

I thought that it was billed under entertainment and not travel :( I would love to hear if that isn't true.

Each merchant account can have a different MCC, Disney has many merchant accounts and not all are reported the same such as "travel".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter