Cross training tips for a new runner

ozliz

DIS Veteran
I am planning to do my first RunDisney race this year but I’m not a runner. My goal is to sign up for the Wine and Dine 10k (all going well with registration). I think that distance is a realistic challenge to work towards without leaving me wiped out for my park days following the race or worried about injuries in the lead up since I’ve got a lot of old injuries to worry about.

I exercise regularly in the gym but after injuries a few years ago my fitness is not what it used to be as I need to spend a lot of time doing yoga type exercises to manage the pain of working a desk job. As I was never a runner (always better at power stuff than endurance) I’ve started with a couch to 5k program but I’m swapping one of the three runs per week with a spin class at the gym since bikes are less impact and I think that’s safer while I’m getting into things.

My question is, what other type of cross training is good for running? I’m keen on fitness classes as I’m often tired by the time I make it to the gym so I like not to have to think and just follow along. My gym has a range of classes and workshops that are all included (Les Mills among others for anyone who knows that brand).

Will aerobics type classes will give me enough benefit towards running fitness to be worth the time when I want to mix it up or do I really just need to run since I’ve never been into running before.

Will the weights I do be helpful or not worth focusing on anymore? I don’t do heavy weights and will need to continue some (physiotherapy for those injuries) but I could cut this down in favour of allocating my limited time to other things.

Hoping there’s some experienced new runners out there that can tell me how they’ve managed moving into endurance fitness. Thanks.

So if you consider that crosstraining is meant to improve cardio and muscle strength, flexibility, balance, etc. then the things that you mentioned already are good XT elements. Yoga will help with strength/flexibility/balance (I do it several times/week). Light weight lifting is important for muscle strength, and anything like spin class, swimming or fitness classes will help with cardio.

My only comment would be that I would not swap out a run for the spin class. You need to condition your body to run, and while XT will improve your overall fitness, it won't provide the same buildup of running endurance. Rather, if you feel the need to build slowly, then make sure your running pace is on the easy side or consider a run/walk strategy.

Good luck!

With past injuries I wouldn’t do aerobics style classes.

Spin should be along with running not in lieu of it unless you’re really crunched for time. While doing the c25k program take it easy, don’t push it this early. That’ll help prevent injuries. But spin does help get the explosive strength that helps with running imo.

Weights are great.

Don’t forget core exercises will help with running form. While not my favorite, I always make time for sit-ups, crunches and plank-holds.

Thanks everyone. I have to limit myself to 2 runs per week for now but hopefully I can increase that to 3 in a month or two when my body gets more used to running. It’s a challenge to be very disciplined as I feel the pain the day after not during the run so I’m really needing to work on that pacing thing. All very new to me this endurance sports thing.

When I first started running about a year ago, I reserved two days per week for cross training. One day I would do something light such as swimming, yoga or the stationary bike. The other day I'd do something heavier like leg strengthening exercises with weights, P90X core synergistics, or plyometrics.

Now I reserve one day a week and I just do whatever I feel like. Cross-training is great for preventing injuries, strengthening your body, and just an overall refreshing day to get away from running and reset the body. Just make sure whatever you do, don't go too hard on your cross training days that you are sore and it affects your running days.

Check out the Sworkit app - it's free and you can do different kinetic strength workouts in your home. My favorite workout DVD/program is 30-Day Shred, so I mix that in when I don't feel like going to the gym.

As far as gym routine, I'll do weights and I swim and cycle. Swimming is GREAT because you use your full body for a swim workout, but because it's low-impact, you don't risk injury as much. I always feel AMAZING after a rigorous swim workout. Also, really hungry. But still loose and like I've had a full-body workout.

Everything you mentioned is great. If you don't have one, get a foam roller and spend 10-15 minutes every other day rolling out your legs especially your IT bands, your knees and joints will thank you for it. Add some stretching to your routine. I like to foam roll and stretch after the kids are in bed and while watching a little TV before bed. Core workouts are a must, especially since you have a desk job (I have that problem too). Biking is great and less impact on the knees. Weight lifting is fine as long as it's not 5-6 days a week, your body will need healing time from the longer runs. The biggest thing is to take it easy at first, use a run walk method if the cardio gets too intense. Your body will adapt over time.

In addition to biking (both on the road/trails and spinning) just walking or hiking is good cross-training. You don't have to run to get the cardio benefits of walking and getting into the woods is easier on the legs than pavement. That may be a good option as well once you want to pick up your running. I don't know the specifics of your injury but I know people who use the trails to keep their legs from all the impact of the asphalt. The pool is a great option if you have past injuries. Swimming is good aerobic workout and no impact.

Do you have a physiologist/chiropractor/sports medicine doctor you can go see? When I was dealing with some nagging issues I had a few local guys I went to for massage, Graston, and some specific strength building exercises for the body parts that hurt.

I’ve been picking up rowing (on a machine). Other than that I do cycling and just walking on different terrains.

Follow. I’m pretty much the exact same story though I have run before. Every time I try to ease back in it my knees kill me.

Related to this topic, I actually picked up a "Yoga for Runners" DVD from Runner's World, and it's been life changing. I do the full 45 minute session on my rest day, and will do the 30 minute recovery session after my hard runs. I've noticed a clear difference in feeling fresh every time I run and I'm no longer sore.

I know people say it all the time, but I highly recommend incorporating yoga at least once a week for recovery, flexibility, and injury prevention.

Swimming is GREAT because you use your full body for a swim workout, but because it's low-impact, you don't risk injury as much. I always feel AMAZING after a rigorous swim workout. Also, really hungry. But still loose and like I've had a full-body workout.

This! I try to swim 2-3 times a week, and I think it has really helped my cardio. I plan to swim a little in the afternoon on race days during the Dark Side weekend, to loosen up.

Mrs. PADC here...

I have experience as a new runner and also returning (multiple times) after injury. My favorite cross training is Pilates Reformer small group class.

As others have said, 3 runs/week is important (or run/walk, or walk). You did not say whether or not you walk other than the days you are running. If you are concerned about impact (as I am due to previous injuries), if you do not want to run 3 days then make the 3rd day a walk. The bike has helped me maintain some fitness while dealing with my recent injury, but I can definitely say it is important to do workouts on your feet (walk, etc) so your body becomes accustomed to it. For me, run/walk has helped me return after injuries. If you feel achy the day after, then increase the walk intervals and then adjust as you increase your running fitness.

I have found Les Mills Bodyflow to be a good workout. It has been years since I did it, but I always made sure I went to the class with the best instructor who is very attentive and fully explains the modifications.

The weightlifting/strengthening you are doing as therapy for past injuries is important and I would say definitely continue those.

My other favorite cross training is my Pilates instructor/personal trainer. Not just for running injuries, but for other aches and pains, everything she has suggested has also been advised by a doctor or physical therapist. Try to find a trainer who you can consult occasionally and keep searching until you find the person who is right for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!