Cruise and Camera Question

misse336

Mouseketeer
I need some feedback from experienced cruisers.

DH and I are going on our first cruise in a few weeks. It is not a Disney cruise. Do you guys take your DSLR on your cruises? I have a Canon t5i. If you do take a dslr which lenses do you find to be the most helpful? I have a 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and a 50 1.8. If you do take your dslr, do you also take a point and shoot for shore excursions? Not sure what I'd do with my DSLR while on the beach/in the ocean while on excursions?

Thanks for your feedback. The more information the better. The world of cruising is very new to me and I am a big planner so I'd rather have ideas about what will work before I'm on the cruise and trying to figure out why I didn't bring something or why I did bring something.

I need some feedback from experienced cruisers.

DH and I are going on our first cruise in a few weeks. It is not a Disney cruise. Do you guys take your DSLR on your cruises? I have a Canon t5i. If you do take a dslr which lenses do you find to be the most helpful? I have a 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and a 50 1.8. If you do take your dslr, do you also take a point and shoot for shore excursions? Not sure what I'd do with my DSLR while on the beach/in the ocean while on excursions?

Thanks for your feedback. The more information the better. The world of cruising is very new to me and I am a big planner so I'd rather have ideas about what will work before I'm on the cruise and trying to figure out why I didn't bring something or why I did bring something.

I've been on several cruises to the Bahamas and Cozumel a few years ago. I took my DSLR and 17-50 and 55-250 and 50mm 1.8. If I did it again I'd take my mirrorless, 22/2 pancake. a longer prime and maybe a longer zoom like the 55-250 but it would depend on the shore excursions. I'd just use the Galaxy S7 cell phone for beach pics
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

There is no right or wrong answer. I'm a photography enthusiast, I pack a good 10-20 pounds of camera gear on a cruise. You get some fantastic photography opportunities -- even moreso if your itinerary takes you anyplace good.

For me, what's the point of owning big expensive camera equipment, if you aren't going to take it on situations like this.

But it's also equally valid to not want to be bothered carrying cumbersome gear on a cruise.

For excursions -- I'll carry a "smaller" camera bag. If it's beachy, I may take a smaller camera, or I'll take my dSLR with only 1 lens, and no plan to change lenses. Or I'll take a couple lenses and only change them with extreme caution. Partially depends on what I plan on doing at the beach. if I want to stroll and take pictures, then I want my good camera. If I plan on swimming myself, then I'll bring a smaller camera that I can stash away as necessary.

Absolutely I do. I don't use it on the ship as much as I do in port though.

Would you consider another camera? If so, look at the Panasonic fz300. It is weatherproof (not waterproof which means you can shoot in rain) and dustproof (don't bury it in the sand). I carry a cloth and brush anyway.

Also canon,Olympus and Nikon have waterproof cameras

When on beach/water type excursion, I use an Olympus TG4. On board, I use my dslr unless we are at the pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter