Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a trip planned for January that was supposed to be a big family trip (kids, spouses and grandkids) in December and now will most likely be only DH and myself unless we get a couple of "brave" family members to take the trip before there's a cure/vaccine. We are both 61. I have been reading many great trip reports from people who have gone and I see there are many who plan to go soon.

I haven't really heard about anybody getting sick from Covid from airlines, hotels or the theme parks. Have I missed the reports?

We have friends and relatives who have traveled during the past months, luckily with no illness after. Alternately, we have a few loved ones who have gotten Covid from work/college/life at home. DH and I are 61, so we are concerned about getting this. He's been going out to work and doing our shopping and wearing a mask around the house/sleeping separately. I can work from home so I haven't really gone anywhere as well as one son and his young family who live with us.

I'm just wondering if wearing masks and washing hands and taking precautions really is enough since I haven't heard of any outbreaks from vacations.

What do you think?

There was one report on the news, someone who thought she got covid on the flight home from FL. It sounds like the parks and hotels are pretty safe, though. I've heard experts are still studying the safety/risk of air travel.

I have a trip planned for January that was supposed to be a big family trip (kids, spouses and grandkids) in December and now will most likely be only DH and myself unless we get a couple of "brave" family members to take the trip before there's a cure/vaccine. We are both 61. I have been reading many great trip reports from people who have gone and I see there are many who plan to go soon.

I haven't really heard about anybody getting sick from Covid from airlines, hotels or the theme parks. Have I missed the reports?

We have friends and relatives who have traveled during the past months, luckily with no illness after. Alternately, we have a few loved ones who have gotten Covid from work/college/life at home. DH and I are 61, so we are concerned about getting this. He's been going out to work and doing our shopping and wearing a mask around the house/sleeping separately. I can work from home so I haven't really gone anywhere as well as one son and his young family who live with us.

I'm just wondering if wearing masks and washing hands and taking precautions really is enough since I haven't heard of any outbreaks from vacations.

What do you think?

Here is the problem and it's been stated on here many times. With a potential 10 day incubation period is there a way to say somebody caught it on a specific flight, hotel, or theme park? No there isn't.

Have people caught it on planes, in hotels, and at disney? Almost definitely. Is there a way to prove it? no.

So right now if you are going to travel still take every precaution you can especially as somebody who is 61. Wear your mask, wash your hands, and social distance. Will that 100% prevent you from getting it? no. But it will put the odds in your favor.

As always off topic posts will be removed. This thread is for operational updates to theme parks and cruise lines.

Sorry. I couldn't help but reply. I figured you would delete it though. My self-control isn't always what I wish it was. I'll try to do better.

The largest risk to getting COVID is long exposure to confined spaces. Flying is probably your biggest risk when doing a WDW trip (in my non-professional opinion). I'd probably feel safe at a resort and walking around parks. Some rides would probably a no go for me.

What do you think?
I would add to the bold, not touching your face
There have been theme park workers that have had the virus but the numbers in no way have been such that have required the parks to close again, which is why you haven't seen any news about it
For reference, I have been visiting the parks since they reopen in June, 3 times a week, I also now work at SWO, my kids both work at theme parks (Universal Volcano Bay and DHS) going to work 3 and 4 times a week along with visiting the parks, we have not had the virus or have been asymptomatic. Both my kids were exposed through friends (not associated with theme parks) both have had the test done and been negative. We all follow the guidelines while still enjoying all aspects of the parks, indoor theaters, indoor dining, waiting in enclosed lines, so from my very personal experience and small sample of 3, I say if you follow the guidelines your risk is low

The largest risk to getting COVID is long exposure to confined spaces. Flying is probably your biggest risk when doing a WDW trip (in my non-professional opinion). I'd probably feel safe at a resort and walking around parks. Some rides would probably a no go for me.

That's why my sister and I are driving (on Saturday 😲, my brain still has trouble believing this is real). We're comfortable with all of Disney's precautions, but not with being in a plane for 3 hours with people who may or may not have masks on all the time in such close quarters.

I convinced my wife that our next trip (whenever that may be) we will be driving from NJ. I can't wait to count my savings of not flying down a family of 5.

Yeaaahhh...I'll take my chances on a 2.5 hr flight vs driving from Chicago!

I'm not worried about flying. I've done my research and we are comfortable with it. I think we will wear masks even if not required anymore, but that's it.

I'm not worried about flying. I've done my research and we are comfortable with it. I think we will wear masks even if not required anymore, but that's it.
we just flew in and out of Midway and were down for almost 3 weeks. We're all fine.

...I'm just wondering if wearing masks and washing hands and taking precautions really is enough since I haven't heard of any outbreaks from vacations.

What do you think?
No it is not. COVID is small enough it can travel through masks, the masks just bring the odds down you’ll spread it/catch it. Everything on that list brings the odds down, but that’s all it does is drop the odds. If you are not ok with getting COVID it is not the time to travel.

Can tell things are a lot busier.

When I came to HS Fri of labor day got here right at 9 and was probably 15 cars back. Today, got here at 845, and I'm at least 30 cars back
Well, the kids go back to school next week, and it will go back to being slow.
Oh, wait, this is September not August. 😉
Interesting to see the demand truly returning. Obviously they have a long way to go to get to the before-times, but reports like this in late September seem to indicate that maybe Chapek was right overall and there is decent pent up demand. The mid-July spike just scared a whole lot of people off (and probably rightfully so).

Yeah, with planes actually constantly replenishing the air supply every 2 minutes, I am not worried about our flights. Just keep your masks on. Our flight is the same as yours but we go from Indy.

Well, the kids go back to school next week, and it will go back to being slow.
Oh, wait, this is September not August. 😉
Interesting to see the demand truly returning. Obviously they have a long way to go to get to the before-times, but reports like this in late September seem to indicate that maybe Chapek was right overall and there is decent pent up demand. The mid-July spike just scared a whole lot of people off (and probably rightfully so).
The past several years, it was actually getting to be just as busy in Sept/Oct as it was in late July/Aug because the food and wine drew huge crowds. So, it is really hard to tell the actual reason for this years September crowds. Food and Wine not being nearly the same would make you think that isn't it, pent up demand might be it, and maybe it is those of us that went during this time and enjoyed the weather seem to make it down there in the fall now all the time anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter