Cruise Meets moving to FB?

None of my FB FE groups were called DISboards FE group and I'm not sure why anyone on FB would want/need to have a reference to DISboards. Personally I LIKE having options of going to several sites for information. I have recommended DISboards many times on various sites/forums and there has never been an issue.
Dog gone my fat fingers I wasn’t done!
Actually I had a DISboards group on my Alaska Cruise. There were 2 people who wanted to be only DISboards and not on Social Media so I made a special notation so if someone asked a question of the member on FB and they didn’t get an answer they would know why. Nobody made any comments positive or negative about the combination. We also never had a Pixie list. We had several join last minute and they made up the last FE group.

Then, if you're lucky, someone on DISboards, who's also on the FB group may transmit information from there to here. Basically, it's like you're the stepchild and have no say in what's decided for the group or take part in any discussions.

BTDT
that would be nice but it hasn't happened on my particular Cruise Meets thread.

I usually volunteer to organize a Local Candy/Snack Exchange on the Disboards. I am Platinum, and have sailed on 25 DCL Cruises and organized on maybe 10 cruises. The smallest group had 3 of us exchanging, once there were 4 groups of 8.

I prefer consumable gifts! It’s fun to try different treats, especially interesting to me was an assortment of Mexican candies! Some were quite spicy, some milky, some chocolates. Japan candy was different and tasty too. Recently one gift was an assortment of California almonds. We all copy something from the internet about our treats.

I have never gone on FB to organize, but I know there are FB exchanges like the one I organize. That’s not a problem. I just prefer to stick with the Disboards. I have also asked to meet for lunch at Cabanas and perhaps do some pin trading. Maybe I am more comfortable with what seems like a smaller group here on Disboards.

Bobbi
Bobbi - I absolutely loved the Candy/Snack Exchange that you organized on our cruise 2 years ago. So much fun for adults and kids. When we cruised last September, I offered to do that same thing but everyone wanted the non-edible version of the Exchange. On this years September cruise, everyone is on FB so I can't even participate if I wanted to.

What about those who aren't on FB?
Bobbi - I absolutely loved the Candy/Snack Exchange that you organized on our cruise 2 years ago. So much fun for adults and kids. When we cruised last September, I offered to do that same thing but everyone wanted the non-edible version of the Exchange. On this years September cruise, everyone is on FB so I can't even participate if I wanted to.

Oh, that’s too bad. Keep posting, hopefully new people may come and join. The only time I had no response at all was for my March 4 cruise this year. However, I booked that cruise 3 weeks before sailing.

I don't like the current trend for meets on FB. I only like it here on the DIS. I will not join a FB cruise meet, period. I don't like admins on FB kicking you out if they don't like you or for some other lame reason. On the DIS the mods are here to protect the bullying and victims of power struggles. It just plain isn't allowed. I don't like the control that AK and a few of her followers have on FB. I find it easier to follow here that on FB.
I think you have a skewed view of the FB groups. I've never seen or heard of the kind of thing you're talking about except for that one admin that was mentioned. Most are quite friendly and courteous. I have seen much more bullying and power struggles here than in an FB group. (Now the general FB is another matter.) The thing is, if you get into a group you don't like--leave it. It's that simple.

I think you have a skewed view of the FB groups. I've never seen or heard of the kind of thing you're talking about except for that one admin that was mentioned. Most are quite friendly and courteous. I have seen much more bullying and power struggles here than in an FB group. (Now the general FB is another matter.) The thing is, if you get into a group you don't like--leave it. It's that simple.

While I wasn't kicked out, I was pressured, and poked fun of when I didn't want to post pictures of my family in the last FB cruise group I was in, or share details of the names, ages, interests, etc of my family including minors. It became so middle school and high school. "Oh, since you won't share a pics, we'll turn it into a guessing game of what you look like. You must have this color hair, and warts on your face." They would find random pics and post them saying that must be what I look like. I'm a pretty private person, and don't care to divulge personal info just to swap some gifts that could and would be just as fun without personal details, especially with so called adults who would resort to making fun of you just for your privacy choices. I think there's more pressure to divulge more personal info on FB because it's a platform that encourages and fosters a more real identity. They want real names. Whereas here, real names are discouraged. I've always felt comfortable to share or not share as much as I want on message boards without being poked fun of. I could leave. But we wanted to try doing FEs as they've never done it before. The option was no longer here on disboards since people had migrated to FB, so I was stuck with sucking it up for my kids to have that one experience. Do I have the option to say no? Sure.

Perhaps your view is skewed because you haven't witnessed it, experienced it or heard of it. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Debating won't do either one of us any good.

While I wasn't kicked out, I was pressured, and poked fun of when I didn't want to post pictures of my family in the last FB cruise group I was in, or share details of the names, ages, interests, etc of my family including minors. It became so middle school and high school. "Oh, since you won't share a pics, we'll turn it into a guessing game of what you look like. You must have this color hair, and warts on your face." They would find random pics and post them saying that must be what I look like. I'm a pretty private person, and don't care to divulge personal info just to swap some gifts that could and would be just as fun without personal details, especially with so called adults who would resort to making fun of you just for your privacy choices. I think there's more pressure to divulge more personal info on FB because it's a platform that encourages and fosters a more real identity. They want real names. Whereas here, real names are discouraged. I've always felt comfortable to share or not share as much as I want on message boards without being poked fun of. I could leave. But we wanted to try doing FEs as they've never done it before. The option was no longer here on disboards since people had migrated to FB, so I was stuck with sucking it up for my kids to have that one experience. Do I have the option to say no? Sure.
I'm really sorry that happened to you. It was pretty childish. I'd be upset too. I've never run into that kind of thing. I think most groups are really pretty good and kind. Sorry your experience differed.

I'm really sorry that happened to you. It was pretty childish. I'd be upset too. I've never run into that kind of thing. I think most groups are really pretty good and kind. Sorry your experience differed.

Also sorry that happened Ravenne. I'm with MelSpees - have never had any issues (and I belong to several types of travel groups on FB). I find the people really nice and extremely helpful.

90% of the people in the FB group for my upcoming cruise don't know DISBoards exists. I found the group via Pinterest. Fortunately everyone is low-key and reasonable. No rules. No teasing. No one has posted photos, let alone demanded everyone else do it, and the group is maybe even close to a year old by now since we sail next month.

I think that a lot of people don't realize that you don't have to be generally active on FB to be part of a group. You must have an account, but then you can join the cruise group and only go to that page. You can also ask for notifications so you get a notice when something is posted on the page. You don't need to go to your homepage at all, or even request friends. You don't have to get involved in the whole social media scene if you don't want to.

A lot of group admins are cautious about adding people who activate new accounts as a protection for their members. If you do this, it's best to reach out to the admin in advance to introduce yourself.

We sound like a broken record here in defense of the Disboards vs FB.

All I can add is our experience with a certain individual having multiple identities both here and on a FB cruise meet group. This "real person?" would use multiple accounts to give the appearance of members having a conversation, in order to portray majority approval on an issue. When the DIS found out, they handled it. FB does not distinguish someone setting themselves up as both the admin and other aliases within the meet.

Buyer beware in providing all that required "personal" information to fictitious accounts.

We are about to go on our 5th cruise. So far the FB groups have been helpful and great place to share ideas. FB is what YOU make it. You can share information or just view over the information that is posted. I don't do FE and never left pressure because I don't chose to do them. It's my vacation so I don't worry about what someone thinks.

Let's put this into the context of a shop. When shopping you have choice, going into a building or shopping online.

When you go out shopping part if the experience is a wonderful personal service, being warmly greeted by actual people, and been guided when required in a polite way.

If go go to a shop, and told you can't do this, you can't do that, you walk out, never go back, and tell ten people about the bad experience. You search out alternatives in this connected world. Shops and cruises have loyalty cards to reward regulars as they know they cannot enforce you not going anywhere else.

So for cruise information there are blogs, forums social media, UTube, etc. People have choice. They prefer personal responses from people they trust.

The current moderators here have a great, relaxed attitude and are up there like a great welcoming meet and greeter in a top store, often guiding in a light way, and saying enjoy your cruise. That's the way to build loyalty.

First impressions last a lifetime. If you have someone going around saying you can't do this or that, or to new visitors this isn't allowed that's not allowed, that is speeding up the process, doing the exact opposite of the intention, it will not keep them here, it's pushing them out if the door.

The best thing on social media is real names, photos, knowing exactly who you are speaking to, and their honest history. With forum names that is not possible.

We are in an open world with free choice, no one can lock any door, it doesn't work, it encourages people to rebel. People hate being slapped down, told off, rules for the sake of rules.

Great moderation and relaxed style " may" be enough to keep loyalty. But the other places are just one google search away. Consider here and other forums are supported by income from advertising and sponsorship, so ultimately, any harsh posting, saying you can't do this, that's not allowed, just cuts income and activity here, and the situation spirals downward.

Many shops have learnt this to their cost, often a bit too late.

The best thing on social media is real names, photos, knowing exactly who you are speaking to, and their honest history. With forum names that is not possible.

We are in an open world with free choice, no one can lock any door, it doesn't work, it encourages people to rebel. People hate being slapped down, told off, rules for the sake of rules.

Great moderation and relaxed style " may" be enough to keep loyalty. But the other places are just one google search away. Consider here and other forums are supported by income from advertising and sponsorship, so ultimately, any harsh posting, saying you can't do this, that's not allowed, just cuts income and activity here, and the situation spirals downward.

Many shops have learnt this to their cost, often a bit too late.
Well, at least they don't mine and sell all of your information like the Social Media sites do. Or use advanced facial recognition to know who you are with and where you are going at all times. Very "Big Brother".

To me, social media is a huge infringement on privacy. I've seen it way too many times. Many companies now require access to employee or candidate accounts to "see" what they have been doing. I've also seen that firsthand. To me, what some college friend of yours from 20 years ago posts should not affect you, but, sadly, it can...

I think that in this digital world, we are more and more NOT respecting people's privacy anymore, and that, to me, is not a good thing...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!