Cruising for Practically Free…Yep..I said Free!

As we walked out of the park I took some pictures of the flags for one of my co-workers. Of course there was no wind and they were all droopy.

mk84 by Jenseib, on Flickr

mk42 by Jenseib, on Flickr

mk43 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We hopped on the boat over to Wilderness Lodge and soon were there.

wl1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

wl2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

wl3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Mom and Chloe were there and we were seated right away.

Most of us got the family style meal, but Claire got a steak and Kelsey got the vegetarian version of family style.

wl4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And we totally pigged out!

wl5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We had such a fun dinner…telling stories and laughing at jokes. The food was good and we all agreed it was a good decision to eat here.

When the bill came, once again my Mom snatched it from me and paid. Again, she did not need to do that, but she insisted. Chloe and Mom went to get a taxi back to French Quarter and the rest of us headed back to the boat to ride back to MK.

wl6 by Jenseib, on Flickr

A Disney trip isn’t complete without a ride on Small World….so we headed there.

mk44 by Jenseib, on Flickr

mk45 by Jenseib, on Flickr

mk46 by Jenseib, on Flickr

mk47 by Jenseib, on Flickr

mk48 by Jenseib, on Flickr

mk49 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And then we took a spin with Ariel.

mk50 by Jenseib, on Flickr

mk56 by Jenseib, on Flickr

mk57 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I think we made our way over to Buzz too. I wasn’t very good at taking pictures this evening.

We wanted to end our evening on the People Mover…so off we went. The kids got 1 or 2 cars I think…but the adults (J and I) got our own.

mk59 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And then not far out it stopped. And we waited…and waited…and waited. Then the fireworks started and we saw people get out of their cars and run off to go watch. Hahaha. Claire said she could see the fireworks from where she was stopped but I saw nothing from my spot, which was a bummer. After a while we did finally start to move though.

mk60 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And I could see a few fireworks as we moved along.

mk61 by Jenseib, on Flickr

mk62 by Jenseib, on Flickr

mk63 by Jenseib, on Flickr

mk65 by Jenseib, on Flickr

mk66 by Jenseib, on Flickr

mk67 by Jenseib, on Flickr

mk68 by Jenseib, on Flickr

By the time we got off the show was over. We slowly made our way to the front and the bus stop. No need to hurry.

As we approached the bus stop area I was just so tired and my feet hurt. J’s girls were walking fast and I told them to go on. They got to the bus and I could see it was full and J said hurry up….they told the bus to wait for us…and they were turning other people away. I couldn’t even believe it. Hahaha. She was shocked too. So we all rode back to FQ together and then said our good byes. They still had another day, but we were leaving tomorrow morning bright and early.

We packed up and headed to bed.

July 16, 2018, Monday

I never took any pictures today, so it is all from memory…so bear with me.

We had a very early flight, so sadly we had to be packed up and out the door fairly early. Off to the airport we went and we dropped off our rental car and checked our bags in. I believe the airport was pretty busy, but we moved fairly fast. Again, we have TSA pre-check, so even when lines are long, we usually get through fairly fast.

We found our gate and got some food for breakfast and settled in to wait. I believe we were on time, which was good as it seems the last few flights I have had delays.

As we got in line to get on the plane, people in line were talking about the heat of Florida. One gal said she couldn’t wait to get to Ohio where it would be cooler. A guy said to her “Oh no, it will be just as hot there.” The girl then replied….LOUDLY…”It’s Hot in Ohio?” So many people started to laugh. Um yes…it’s not the North Pole. This gal was visiting a friend in Ohio…and packed all long sleeves and sweaters. Did she not even look at a weather app? It had been in the 80’s and 90s with very high humidity most of the summer. Definitely not sweater weather.

I don’t know why people think Ohio is cold year round. Even when we got off the ship our porter was asking us about the weather and was surprised we had humidity.

I don’t remember anything big about the flight, so it must have been just normal. Every so often, Claire, who thought she was hilarious, would say in a high squeaky voice “It’s Hot in Ohio?” and then she would just giggle and laugh.

As we were starting to descent, a little kid started chanting over and over and over….”Are we in Ohio yet?” Mom says under her breath….”Someone ANSWER that kid!” hahaha. He just kept saying it over and over. Claire’s responds was…”It’s hot in Ohio?” Hahahaha.

Once we landed and got off the plane, we headed to the bathroom. As we were washing our hands I noticed Miss Sweater standing near us washing hers. Claire saw her and looked right at me and I gave her a warning glare. I knew she wanted to say it, but thank goodness she didn’t. As soon as we left Claire started laughing and said she really was holding back. However she didn’t hold back for about the next week and kept saying “It’s Hot in Ohio?” over and over and over at any chance she could.

We got our luggage and took the bus over to get the car and loaded up. We programed my sisters work address in since I had to pick up my laptop and other things I had left at her house and off we went.

Once there, Amanda gave us the tour of her work place (My Uncle owns it) and we chatted a bit, but it was time to get moving on.

Skip called and wondered if we were on our way home yet. I let him know that we were making our way there, but had stopped at Amanda’s work and would get a bite to eat along the way. There were grumbles about us taking so long to get home…..which I thought was stupid. There is no time limit from the time I land till the time we pull in the driveway. I was a little irritated.

We stopped off for some lunch and then made the drive home. I was so tired and it was nice to be home, but of course I started to unpack and get the laundry going.

And that was the end of our vacation! It seemed so short, but we had so much fun and it didn’t cost much out of pocket at all!

Just caught up with everything. What a sweet proposal! It must have been tough keeping her away from main street for so long. Love all the pictures! Sad you couldn't post any pictures of the three-bedroom villa at Bay Lake, I would love to see that. It's my favorite hotel. I'm not even sure you can book that room for cash, I never see it listed.

Your whole trip seemed amazing thanks for sharing!!

I wonder what part of the country that girl is from. I live in Ohio(have lived here for about 15 yrs) and don't think the summers are very hot or humid. I grew up in Oklahoma though and it's in the 100s most of the summer. I prefer Ohio's summers! If only the winters didn't last FOREVER!! Of course I use the dreary weather as an excuse to take a cruise every winter. Only 30 days until we'll be on the Fantasy. Hope you have another cruise booked soon. I really enjoyed reading about this one, loved all the pics!!

Great that you had a fairly uneventful trip home with no delays. I went on an Alaskan cruise in August and it was Delay after delay on our flights going there and coming back. Thank goodness we were flying in the day before, although it was too bad we didn't get to see any of Vancouver.

Funny that girl thought it would be cold on Ohio in the Summer. She must not get out much.

Really great report, can't wait for the next one!!

Just caught up with everything. What a sweet proposal! It must have been tough keeping her away from main street for so long. Love all the pictures! Sad you couldn't post any pictures of the three-bedroom villa at Bay Lake, I would love to see that. It's my favorite hotel. I'm not even sure you can book that room for cash, I never see it listed.

Your whole trip seemed amazing thanks for sharing!!

It was huge! But I mainly was only in the living room and kitchen area and the balcony. I never saw the bedrooms but could see the upstairs balcony area from the living room.

I wonder what part of the country that girl is from. I live in Ohio(have lived here for about 15 yrs) and don't think the summers are very hot or humid. I grew up in Oklahoma though and it's in the 100s most of the summer. I prefer Ohio's summers! If only the winters didn't last FOREVER!! Of course I use the dreary weather as an excuse to take a cruise every winter. Only 30 days until we'll be on the Fantasy. Hope you have another cruise booked soon. I really enjoyed reading about this one, loved all the pics!!

I've never been to Oklahoma but I sure think Ohio is hot. We have a lot of days with 100% humidity which can make it miserable. The week I came home was in the high 90's all week with 100% humidity. It was just like Florida. hahaha.
I do hate winters though. This one has been really depressing for me this year. It's already snowed too early and it's been rainy constantly and colder than normal....and grey! We seem to be lacking in the sun department lately. Of course yesterday was somewhat decent and I was busy and couldn't go out to enjoy it.
I haven't even been able to do all of my fall cleanup of my yard because of how weird the weather has been.

Another great trip in the books. Where to next?

No plans officially yet. I want to cruise this winter but nothing has been booked.

Great that you had a fairly uneventful trip home with no delays. I went on an Alaskan cruise in August and it was Delay after delay on our flights going there and coming back. Thank goodness we were flying in the day before, although it was too bad we didn't get to see any of Vancouver.

Funny that girl thought it would be cold on Ohio in the Summer. She must not get out much.

Really great report, can't wait for the next one!!

Delays can be such a pain.
My goal is to get to an Alaskan cruise this summer. If not then next. I hope it works out. It will really depend on flight costs.

Follow up…

As the title says….we cruised for practically free. Our whole trip for me was very little out of pocket.

The way it worked for me would not work for others, but there are ways to “earn” free gift cards to help pay for vacations.

I had paid for our portion of the cruise with gift cards and also the Disney hotel and tickets. That was a huge chunk of the cost.

I really didn’t have a lot of out of pocket expenses and my food wasn’t much in the end either as my Mom kept paying for our meals.

I have picked right up when I got back home to earn more cards and also buying some when I have extra money. I have over $1000 saved right now, so I’m doing pretty good and the plan is to sail in the next few months for my birthday.

This cruise was short, but oh so much fun! Whenever I travel with J and gang, it’s a good time. P is also is so much fun! And I got meet more daughters and they were all so nice. Honestly, I think if I cruise without J next time…it will feel odd. My last 2 have been with her…..as have my last 2 WDW visits.

I am so glad we checked out Toy Story Land. We got to see firsthand how the land looks and pros and cons to it. I can’t wait for Galaxy’s Edge to open, but I know the crowds will be insane too.

I have learned over the last few trips I just can’t go like I used to and need more resting time. Part might be the heat too. I always forget how that can slow me down….but I also kind of need more sleep now too. A nap does wonders!\

Thanks for joining me on our little adventure!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! It was a lot of fun reading along and how cool to have a vacation for basically free. Can't wait for your next trip report.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! It was a lot of fun reading along and how cool to have a vacation for basically free. Can't wait for your next trip report.

Thanks for reading along! Hopefully I can get on a ship in the next few months

Our next cruise is only 14 days away, Jan 12 on the Fantasy. You aren't on that one by chance? We're having unbelievable nice weather right now(north of Columbus), I can just see us getting hit with a foot of snow right before we're suppose to fly out to Orlando. I'm hoping it snows while we're gone and the snow melts before we get back. My dd would hate that, but I'd love it!

Yeah for you!! That's coming...fast! Details plz?

Our next cruise is only 14 days away, Jan 12 on the Fantasy. You aren't on that one by chance? We're having unbelievable nice weather right now(north of Columbus), I can just see us getting hit with a foot of snow right before we're suppose to fly out to Orlando. I'm hoping it snows while we're gone and the snow melts before we get back. My dd would hate that, but I'd love it!

It's on the Wonder, Jan 27, out of San Juan. I am super excited as it will be my first time on the Wonder and Claire and I will both complete our Grand Slam!!!

I am worried about snow too. We are going out of Columbus as well and it's like a 2 1/2 hour drive for us. It can snow all it wants while I am gone, but I need to just get to the airport and have on time flights. Coming home too for that matter.

As much as I would love to be on the Fantasy again, my last 3 cruises were on her, so I was really hoping to get on another ship, with the Wonder at the top of the list since I hadn't been on her yet. And I totally lucked out with a fabulous special rate...that I paid for with gift cards! Skip is even coming this time around and we will be celebrating my 50th!

We sailed on the Wonder 4 yrs ago and then again last March. Our first trip on her was right before they added the Frozen show. I knew I wanted to go on her again to see the show and then when they added Tiana's Place, I knew I had to sail on her! I loved Frozen, they did the regular night shows plus a matinee, so we were able to see it twice. Now I want to sail on the Magic to see Tangle and to eat at Rapunzel's restaurant. We've only been on the Magic once and that was back in 2001. We're booked for the third time on the Fantasy for 2020, I keep second guessing the booking though. I wish the Magic did 7night trips in Jan since that's when we usually cruise. Happy early B-day to you. My 50th b-day is next week and my dh just had his b-day last week, so we'll be doing belated b-day celebrations on our cruise also. I just bought my dd all new snow gear, plus she got 2 sleds as Christmas presents, so I figure that means we won't get any snow all season!! I'd be just fine if we don't!! Looking forward to your next trip report, you always get the best pics!

We sailed on the Wonder 4 yrs ago and then again last March. Our first trip on her was right before they added the Frozen show. I knew I wanted to go on her again to see the show and then when they added Tiana's Place, I knew I had to sail on her! I loved Frozen, they did the regular night shows plus a matinee, so we were able to see it twice. Now I want to sail on the Magic to see Tangle and to eat at Rapunzel's restaurant. We've only been on the Magic once and that was back in 2001. We're booked for the third time on the Fantasy for 2020, I keep second guessing the booking though. I wish the Magic did 7night trips in Jan since that's when we usually cruise. Happy early B-day to you. My 50th b-day is next week and my dh just had his b-day last week, so we'll be doing belated b-day celebrations on our cruise also. I just bought my dd all new snow gear, plus she got 2 sleds as Christmas presents, so I figure that means we won't get any snow all season!! I'd be just fine if we don't!! Looking forward to your next trip report, you always get the best pics!

Happy 50th to you too! I stressed to Skip that this is the one birthday "age' that is bothering me the most and I would be cruising. LOL! We ended up getting a fabulous rate for this particular cruise and I mentioned it to him on Christmas Eve. After about 30 minutes of some coaxing with Claire chiming in at the right parts....he said...we might as well book it! I was on the phone IMMEDIATELY! hahahaha!!!
There are so many new things with this cruise for us...new ports, new departure port, new ship, new dining experiences, new show...I am so excited....and I am working on getting those grand slam t-shirts made too!

Thank you for letting me join you on your trip. It was super fun reading along (as long as my students' exams did not get in the way), but I caught up on the last 2 and a half pages today and am sad to see it come to an end. I REALLY hope you travel some more any time soon, so we can all enjoy another TR. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter