• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruz Family & 10 amazing days of FREE dining, NEW Day 4 w/PoP, & 50's PTC

Cruz Family

DIS Veteran
Cast

DH37 - A little on the picky side, no seafood, but willing to try some new things on this trip due to FREE DINING!

DS13 - Very adventurous eater, always willing to try new things.
DS8 - Very picky on last trip but better on this one.
And finally myself, DW33 Thrilled with the idea of trying new things and not worrying about the price.

Here is where we ate

Caseys Corner
Jiko
Tangierine Cafe
UK Fish & Chips
Chef Mickeys
Rainforest Cafe (AK)
Yachtsman
Everything PoP
50's Primetime Cafe
Margaritaville (@ US/IOA)
Mels Drive in (@ US/IOA)
Earl of Sandwich
Beaches & Cream
1900 Park Fare
Ohana'
Boma
Mexico counter service
WGP Express
Flametree BBQ
Sci-fi drive in
California Grill
Le Cellier

Most were paid for with the dining plan, RFC was with gift cards I earned on mypoints, a couple with points from my Disney Visa, and a couple OOP.

Day #1
Caseys Corner (lunch) - 2 hot dogs, 1 corn dog nuggets, 3 fries, 3 sodas.
All very yummy as usual, our favorite first meal sitting outside with the castle in front of us.
Paid w/ DDP
Overall grade A-
:thumbsup2

Jiko (dinner) - this was a last minute change (only on the DIS would a month in advance be last minute ;) ) Soooooo glad we did made that change Jiko is now our new favorite! The dining room is beautiful, the service perfect, and the food amazing!!!!!!!!!
We started with Lamb Patis, Taste of Africa, and Kenyan Coffee BBQ chicken flat bread. T.o.A was Ok (I think it was just not our cup of tea), the flat bread was just wonderful, but the Lamb patis we all agreed was the best thing we ate the entire trip. Just unbeliveable! Oh and DS8 had the fruit salad and thought it was very good.
For our entrees DS8 had grilled chicken which he liked and the rest of us had the Filet with Mac & Cheese. We all agreed it was just wonderful!
For dessert I had the flourless chocolate cake that was delicious, DH had Apple Triffile (sp?) which he said was nice and light and just great. DS13 had the Sorbet he said was tasty and DS8 had Smores which he like but, I think he liked making them more than eating them.
Paid w/ DDP
Atmosphere - A
Service - A+
Food - A
:cloud9:

Thanks, looking forward to more! Planning next trip & taking along 4 yr old niece (& her parents). I was wondering whether Jiko would be a good choice with the princess: on board, sounds like we can. Thanks! :)

shovan said:
Thanks, looking forward to more! Planning next trip & taking along 4 yr old niece (& her parents). I was wondering whether Jiko would be a good choice with the princess: on board, sounds like we can. Thanks! :)

I would go for it, I don't think you will be disapointed. :thumbsup2

Day #2
World Showcase (lunch)
Tangerine Cafe - DH had meatball platter which comes with rice, being from Puerto Rico he loves his rice but is very picky about it. He thought this was so wonderful he made a special trip back later it the week to have it again. DS13 & I shared a chicken and lamb platter which was quite large and very good.
paid w/DDP
Overall grade A-

UK Fish & Chips - DS8 had well..... fish & chips. They were good but my only issue was the tartar sauce came in little packets (like ketchup) really would perfer home made or at least little containers of the premade.
paid w/DDP
Overall grade B

Chef Mickeys (dinner)- This was a big dissapointment :sad2: , the charater interaction was good but not great. I think I was sexually harassed by both Chip and Dale but that is another story :blush: . The food was just nothing special, though I did like the flavor of the mashed potatos they were a bit on the runny side. The prime rib was OK but was very very fatty, and I am a girl that always wants at least a little fat on her beef. (that just doesn't sound right!) Every thing else was so so. It was a good thing we were using the dining plan because I do not think I could swallow paying the $120 bill OOP.
needless to say we will not return.
paid w/DDP
atmosphere - C
character interaction - B-
service - C
food - C-

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

I agree that Chef Mickey's was our worst TS of the trip. The characters were the best part. The food was below average and there wasn't much variety. I hate to say it but there was moldy cheese cubes at the salad bar, gross :eek: , I picked the container out and put it on the counter behind the salad bar and someone put it back, even after I told the guy that was restocking it. Even on free dining we won't go back. On the bright side we had an awesome experience the night before at 1900 Park, our daughter hasn't stopped talking about it for two weeks.

Bummed about the reviews for Chef Mickeys...we are eating there for my birthday because the kids wanted to ... if the character interaction is good that is fine but I hope the food is edible too! I would hate to spend all that money and still be hungry afterwards.

I have only been to CMs twice, but I remember there being a huge selection of choices. Fish, beef, chicken, pork etc... Also, salad bar, hot sides inc pasta, potatoes, veg, rice etc, and a humongus dessert bar, inc make your own cupcake and sundae sections. Also fresh fruit. AMPLE!!! :thumbsup2

The Sweetness said:
I have only been to CMs twice, but I remember there being a huge selection of choices. Fish, beef, chicken, pork etc... Also, salad bar, hot sides inc pasta, potatoes, veg, rice etc, and a humongus dessert bar, inc make your own cupcake and sundae sections. Also fresh fruit. AMPLE!!! :thumbsup2

IMHO the salad bar was quite sad, for sides they had mickey ravioli, mashed potatoes, and a rock hard stuffing. As for sundae section the ice cream kind of icey?? I don't know if that makes sense but that is the only way I can think of to describe it. There were a ton of candy toppings and one chocolate sauce but that was about it. I guess I expected a couple of sauces, whipped cream, and maybe some nuts or cherries.
This was our feelings on CM, but to each their own!

Thanks for sharing your reviews so far, looking forward to the rest. :mickeybar

Cruz Family said:
Jiko (dinner) - this was a last minute change (only on the DIS would a month in advance be last minute ;) ) Soooooo glad we did made that change Jiko is now our new favorite! The dining room is beautiful, the service perfect, and the food amazing!!!!!!!!!
We started with Lamb Patis, Taste of Africa, and Kenyan Coffee BBQ chicken flat bread. T.o.A was Ok (I think it was just not our cup of tea), the flat bread was just wonderful, but the Lamb patis we all agreed was the best thing we ate the entire trip. Just unbeliveable! Oh and DS8 had the fruit salad and thought it was very good.
For our entrees DS8 had grilled chicken which he liked and the rest of us had the Filet with Mac & Cheese. We all agreed it was just wonderful!
For dessert I had the flourless chocolate cake that was delicious, DH had Apple Triffile (sp?) which he said was nice and light and just great. DS13 had the Sorbet he said was tasty and DS8 had Smores which he like but, I think he liked making them more than eating them.
Paid w/ DDP
Atmosphere - A
Service - A+
Food - A
:cloud9:

So happy to hear you loved Jiko! I was a little worried about using2 TS credits on it. We're doing CM for breakfast (our only TS breakfast of the trip.) I hope it's better than the dinner.
Thanks for the reviews!

Day #3

Everything Pop (breakfast) - 1 kids waffle platter and 1 adult breakfast platter (split by all of us). Waffles were okay at best, potatoes were under cooked as was the bacon. The funny thing about the food at Pop Century is we disliked pretty much everything we ate there for breakfast, but really enjoyed everything else.
Paid w/DDP
overall - D

Rainforest Cafe @ AK (lunch) - We started with some hot wings (sorry but I do not remember what they called them) when we got them they were not very hot, thats as in temp. They were actually cool to the touch so we sent them back and with in a few minutes received a new order that was just fine. They were good and spicey but nothing great.
For entrees DH had country fried chicken breast and thought it was very good. DS13 Had the ribs and said they were just ok. DS8 and myself split the baked Lobster with crab stuffing. DS loved it (as he loves anything lobster) and I thought it was alright, but not $40 worth of alright. The stuffing was kind of bland but, I was pleasantly surprised with the rice that came on the side, it was quite tasty. Though we are never very impressed with the food here the atmosphere is amazing. We will return because it is a fun place and we especially love the break it gives us from the heat and all the walking at Animal Kingdom. A great tip is if you are going to eat at a RFC more then once is to join the safari club. We joined at one near home for $15 and you received a $5 off certificate for your first visit. It gives you priority seating (which we used on this trip, the family in front of us were told there was a 40 min. wait and with the card we were seated in less then 10 min.) with it you also get the choice of a free appitizer or 10% off your bill. It is a great deal and you can get more info here www.rainforestcafe.com

Paid w/Gift cards earned on MyPoints + 10% off w/safari club
Atmosphere - A-
Service - C+
Food - C+

Yachtsman Steakhouse (anniversary dinner) - We arrived at 6:55 for our 7:30 ADR and were seated within ten minutes. The decor I thought was a little on the boring side, nice but nothing special. We waited several minutes before we were greeted by our, lets just say flamboyant waiter Ricardo. He was a hoot even though we had a hard time understanding most of what he said (this was really funny considering my husband is also hispanic and could not make out what he was saying). When he brought us our drink order and served me my cosmo he made a point of telling my boys (as well as most of the surrounding tables) "Oh, mama is going to be happy tonight". My 13yr old wanted to die but my 8yr old thought it was quite funny. My cosmo was very good and very strong, which made Ricardo very correct!
Getting to the food, DH ordered the Caesar which he found a little underwhelming. He enjoyed the NY Strip as was the mashed potatoes but did not think it lived up to the hype. My DS13 also had the Ceasar Salad but chose the Porterhouse (thank god for the DDP) for his entree. He pretty much felt along the same lines as DH. DS8 had the chicken soup and the kids prime rib and found it all "delicious". As for myself I had the scallops which were amazing, they were seared just perfectly and the smoked bacon vinaigrette on the greens was just wonderful. For my entree I had the oak fired ribeye which I liked very much.
I had orderd a cake to surprise DH so we had that for dessert. As a side note because we were using the DDP our waiter asked us if we wanted the cake to be charged to the DDP in place of our desserts. I never heard of anyone doing that before, but it worked out just great for us.
Overall we liked YSH but I don't think it lived up to what we have come to expect from Disneys signature restaurants.
Paid w/DDP
Atmosphere - C+
Service - B
Food - B

Day #4
Everything Pop (lunch) - DH & DS 13 double cheese burgers w/french fries, DS 8 Chicken fingers w/FF, and I had a Meatball sub w/FF. For our desserts we had a tie die cheesecake, twinkies, and grapes. All was very good, hot, and tasty. Only thing that was not good was the cheesecake, it was kind of bland.
Paid w/DDP
Overall - B

50's Primetime Cafe (dinner) - Always a family favorite! Here DH & DS13 each used credits and DS8 & I shared a meal and paid OOP of it. They started with the fried cheese spread and onion rings. The cheese spread :love: so yummy! Only problem was they do not give you enough of those toast things with it. The onion rings were good, but not as good as they use to be. For those who have not been in a while they are now big batter dipped rings rather than the the thin stringy ones they use to be.
For our entrees DH & I (sharing w/DS8) had the fried chicken w/mashed and sub'ed the greens for green beans. Chicken was good, crispy and not too greesey. Mashed and gr. beans were fine, nothing great. DS13 had the pot roast which he liked but, not as much as the last time. He said it was a little on the dry side and was a bit of a let down. For dessert we all shared the sundae and the PB&J shake (thanks to the advice on the DIS). Sundae was yummy and still plenty big, and the shake was excellent!
Even though the food was not quite as good as the last time, we will return. Still a family favorite!
Paid w/DDP (2 credits) & OOP
Atomsphere - A-
Service - B
Food - B-

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter