Crystal River, swimming with the manatee.

tirecarver

Earning My Ears
Has anyone tried this? If so what company did you use? Lastly would you do it again?

Thanks
Howard

We stopped in Crystal River on our way to WDW in Dec '15 and will definitely go back. We didn't swim with manatees, didn't even see them. I just wanted to go to the boardwalk to see if we could see any but I didn't realize how time consuming it would be until we got there. You have to take a trolley (I think that's what they called it) to the boardwalk. It's not something you just drive up to and get go look. We did go to a center that tells stuff about the manatees and you can walk out to the water in the back but we didn't see anything except a few fish swimming around but that water was super clear.

Has anyone tried this? If so what company did you use? Lastly would you do it again?

Thanks
Howard

Just did this a few weeks ago. Would definitely do it again with River Adventures. It was $99/person for the 4 hour boatride.
They stopped in two places, the manatees came right up to our party. The guide and Captain went well out of their way to assure everyone had a great experience.

The manatee season is about over (they head back to the ocean as the ocean water warms up) so we were told we may not see any but really lucked out.

Later that afternoon, we went to Homosassa Springs Wildlife Park. They did manatee feedings about 3pm (check to be sure of the time before heading over). The recuperating manatees were on one side of the bridge, the released manatees on the other. The released manatees come up to the bridge to get the food that flows downriver. Fantastic opportunity to get photos for someone who may not be able to do the manatee swim.

Very cool, gentle giants! Enjoy!

Just did this a few weeks ago. Would definitely do it again with River Adventures. It was $99/person for the 4 hour boatride.
They stopped in two places, the manatees came right up to our party. The guide and Captain went well out of their way to assure everyone had a great experience.

The manatee season is about over (they head back to the ocean as the ocean water warms up) so we were told we may not see any but really lucked out.

Later that afternoon, we went to Homosassa Springs Wildlife Park. They did manatee feedings about 3pm (check to be sure of the time before heading over). The recuperating manatees were on one side of the bridge, the released manatees on the other. The released manatees come up to the bridge to get the food that flows downriver. Fantastic opportunity to get photos for someone who may not be able to do the manatee swim.

Very cool, gentle giants! Enjoy!

Sounds wonderful. I am thinking about this for our trip next year like March 31st or April 1st is that too late to have a good chance of swimming with the Manatees?

Sounds wonderful. I am thinking about this for our trip next year like March 31st or April 1st is that too late to have a good chance of swimming with the Manatees?

We did the swim on March 24th of this year. They warned us we may not see any manatees but we did and had a great day. They said the colder months are better because the manatee come into the river to warm up.

If you can swing your trip a bit earlier, it would increase the chances of manatee encounter. If not, just being out on the water was nice and the price was reasonable.

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately we cant move the trip as that is spring break and the rest of our dayd DS will be with his high school baseball team at ESPN but toward the end we will be together and i would just love to see them.

Did you stay the night somewhere in Crystal River? I want to stay somewhere on the water next time. Last time we just stayed somewhere in town, not on the water.

Did you stay the night somewhere in Crystal River? I want to stay somewhere on the water next time. Last time we just stayed somewhere in town, not on the water.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn, it was fine but nothing special. I think I saw something about River Adventures having some rooms for rent on the water. Wish we had looked into that further. If we get to that area again, would love to rent a home on one of the canals and go kayaking through the canals.

That's where we stayed too. Next time we go we'll have a 15 month old so I don't think we will be doing any kayaking but that sounds like fun for in a few years!

Thanks for the information, we are planing a trip for Aug of 2018. From the sounds of it, it is very hit or miss for that time of year.

Thanks again
Howard

Hi. I live in Homosassa Springs and would be happy to help with any questions you have about this area. Here's a few basics.
The spring fed rivers in our area are about 72 degrees year round. Manatees cannot survive prolonged exposure to water temperatures below 68 degrees. That is why they congregate in the springs during the winter months. Manatee Season generally runs from November to April but temperatures play a big role. The colder it gets the more manatees will congregate in the springs. We generally see some manatee activity year around but it is hit or miss in the warmer months. If your coming in the warmer months I would opt for just a boat or kayak tour and/or a visit to the Homosassa Springs State Wildlife Park.

Swimming with the manatees is an amazing experience. Unfortunately it has become big business in our area and "everyone and their brother" runs manatee tours now. River Ventures (http://www.riverventures.com) was mentioned and is a reputable company that has been around a long time. My top recommendation is Birds Underwater Dive Center. (https://www.birdsunderwater.com) I am in no way affiliated with them, but have done business with them for 25 years. They are founding members of the Manatee Eco Tourism Association which is dedicated to education of proper manatee manners. My other recommendation would be the Plantation Adventure Center and Manatee Tours (http://www.plantationoncrystalriver.com/manatee-tours.htm). Again a reputable company that has been around a long time. If it's in your budget, the smaller tours are more enjoyable.

If you are looking for lodging the Plantation Inn sits on the water in Crystal River. Birds Underwater rents a couple of houses in Homosassa that are on the water and come with kayaks.

You can see Manatees year round at the Homosassa Springs State Wildlife Park. They have some captive manatees that can't survive in the wild that live there. It's nice because they park sits on a natural spring so you can see them in their natural habitat. There is an underwater viewing area. In the winter the captive manatees are transferred to holding tanks and they open the gate to allow wild manatees access to the spring. This park will require a few hours of your time.

Three Sisters Springs is a beautiful spot in Crystal River. Until a couple of years ago it was only accessible by water. The adjacent land was slowly acquired and a boardwalk has been built around it for viewing. Unfortunately there is not space to accommodate parking so you have to park at the visitors center up the road and be shuttled to the park. This can be time consuming. The park is now open year round, but manatee activity is hit or miss during the warm months. If you go, have a look at the tide chart and try to go when the tide is coming in. The water gets very shallow so the manatees leave the springs during low tide. If it's cold you'll still see them congregating outside but you'll have a better view if the tide is in and they are in the spring. In the summer rent a kayak from a local vender and paddle to the spring for a swim.

If you're just passing through and can't spend the time on those options, let me know and I'll try to give you directions to a couple of spots that you can just jump out and have a look for manatees.

If you have any questions about anything in this area, don't hesitate to ask here or send me a pm.

My husband and daughter used Bird's a couple of years ago and had an amazing experience! Highly recommended! I would also recommend checking Groupon. They run deals pretty often for manatee swims/tours. Have fun!!!

We are planning our trip for Aug of 18. Sounds like the viewing in Aug. is hit or miss.

We are planning our trip for Aug of 18. Sounds like the viewing in Aug. is hit or miss.

Yes, they are more likely to be out in the gulf in August so I wouldn't waste time or money on a manatee swim. You could go the Homosassa Springs Park and/or just go for a boat or kayak tour somewhere in the area. The area is beautiful and full of different types of wildlife. You never know what you'll see. One summer my nephew and his family were visiting and we took them out in the boat. Went up to the spring in the Homosassa River to swim and had a dolphin swim just a couple of feet away from us.
If you're in the area anyway there is plenty to see and do. If you are going to Disney and had planned to come over just for the manatees then I don't think it would be worth it in August.

We were hoping to swim with the manatees during our January trip. We are staying on disney property and would rent a car to get there. Is it too far for a day trip?

We were hoping to swim with the manatees during our January trip. We are staying on disney property and would rent a car to get there. Is it too far for a day trip?
It's about a 2 hour drive each way so it is doable as a day trip. The recommendation is usually the early morning trip but most companies do mid morning and afternoon trips if you don't want to get up that early.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

It's about a 2 hour drive each way so it is doable as a day trip. The recommendation is usually the early morning trip but most companies do mid morning and afternoon trips if you don't want to get up that early.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for the info. Why is the early trip recommended? Looks like we'd have to leave disney by 5am to make it there! Does it make a huge difference?

Thanks for the info. Why is the early trip recommended? Looks like we'd have to leave disney by 5am to make it there! Does it make a huge difference?
Supposedly more activity first thing in the morning. I think you'd be fine with a later trip.

We were instructed to arrive at River Adventures for 6:30am to be shuttled over the river for a 7am excursion. We were told that it was more likely we would see manatee early when the river had less boat/people activity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts